Misc Best setup in Linux

beautifulbeast

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I Want to use the Wifi connection from my computer using Linux and, more specifically, Ubuntu. The thing is I bought a dongle (not the official one by Nintendo but one with a Zydas chipset) that can't work in Master Mode/AP in Linux and forces me to switch to Windows everytime so I guess it's time to buy a new device but can't figure out wich one.
The question for all Linux users is: How do you connect via Wifi and would you recommend me that setup? Are you using a USB dongle or a router with Wifi-antenna and wich brand is it and with chipset does it use? Do you have to use some program to set it in AP /Master mode?
Thanks.

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a router, but I bought a Ninty USB dongel for my cousin (for Christmas) who also uses Ubuntu. I don't know about that, yet.

As for my router, it's a Linksys.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a fellow buntu and come to the rescue! As much of a rescue as I can provide...i guess.

I am unable to connect to the router around my house due to WPA, so I too am looking for an ubuntu related solution. There's two ways, either a dongle compatable with ubuntu, OR a way to share the connection from your laptop to the DS.

Crafty googling has shown me a couple of things:

There is no publicly available hack within the community to get the official nintendo dongle working under ubuntu.
frown.gif
Every topic i've found on it just gathers dust. Although nobody has written about it's compatibility with wine (and i'm a big believer in wine) i'm very doubtful.

There IS a way, to share your existing internet connection with the DS, but it requires two network interfaces, i.e., plugged in via ethernet, and share via your wireless card. link. other link

You also said you might get a router, instead? here is the list of compatable routers from nintendo's webpage.

I found ONE other fourm post on gbadev. You can take any usb wifi adapter and use it wth Ds ro wii, etc. Uh...but only on windows. Link

Damn it! I'll be researching this further and have a few things I'd like to try out around my house, but for now I don't know muhc much I could really help you.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you have no driver wrappers capable of doing the deed (not my area)

I am unsure if it will work having never done it but it is possible to turn your wifime setup into a wireless AP. The main reason wifime came into being was open source (i.e. some of which are linux capable) so you could try:
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/WifiMe

You could also add a WEP router (turn off DCHP and disable SSID broadcast, drop speed (the DS is slow), add mac filters and all the other stuff).

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am unable to connect to the router around my house due to WPA, so I too am looking for an ubuntu related solution.

Have you tried wpa_supplicant?

@beautifulbeast, I would avoid usb dongles, they are notoriously hard to get working. Get a decent router(linksys) and you should be good to go. If you are willing to wait(I doubt you are though
tongue.gif
), mastermode and adhoc are being added to the driver

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am unable to connect to the router around my house due to WPA, so I too am looking for an ubuntu related solution.

Have you tried wpa_supplicant?

Thank you Azimuth but i was referring to the DS not being able to connect, not my computer!

Here is the specific link to using your wifime setup as an AP for your DS. I wont be home for another week so i'm unable to try that out, but as soon as I do, I'll post my results.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Forget USB dongles. AP mode is a problem not because Linux is bad with it but because Nintendo sucks at doing WiFi. You have to use a WiFi router to get things working.

Second, stay away from all kinds of WiFi encryption like WEP or WPA. The key size is laughable and introduces only a huge lot of troubles while being crackable in a matter of moments with the right tools. If you want a secure way to connect your WiFi enabled devices ( NDS, Revolution or whatever ) do the following:

1) Get a WiFi router. Check compatibility list of Nintendo what works. Linux doesn't care one inch about what you choose.
2) Disable encryption of router and make it as open as possible.
3) Branch the internet outlet to your Linux machine ( you need a second network card for this to be secure! )
4) Setup iptables ( firewall ) in your Linux box to route from the WiFi router to your local network ( and therefore to the internet ) allowing only the traffic the Revolution generates and blocking anything else ( use IP check and MAC check ).

I know this sounds overhelming for most people but anything else gives you just an easy crackable and troublesome setup. Nintendo products are simply a bitch with anything else but completely open WiFi routers.

beautifulbeast

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks everyone. I guess it's time to buy a router. The part where I have to configure the iptables sounds a little tricky, but waiting for Master mode to be included in the Zydas driver isn't an option either (I bought the dongle las Spring and there hasn't been much development at that respect) and switching to XP everytime I want to play online is a pain too.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
iptables is not difficult. There are howtos on the net and once you get the basics even the ( a bit cryptic ) man page of iptables helps you. If you have though still some questions or troubles with iptables you can also get in touch with me if you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/eFb28u5GPsU?si=35a7C58FgPbaxIMm