Homebrew Best options to create homebrew games for non-coders?

Yaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi, I wonder what are nice option for those who would like to do some silly homebrew games for this or that system, but totally not a programmer.
And not even a coder, haven't done anything more complex than messing with some html/css or perhaps Quake/Half-Life scripting with help of guides.

I know that at least for PS Vita there are two popular options that apply, those would be Unity and Game Maker Studio. (I know that you need to own special version of plugin or something that allows Vita project export, but I had to mention these two as most obvious engines with visual scripting systems tha can help non-programmers to make a game).

But what about other engines/makers and other platforms? Currently I have both Vita and PSP as hardware, while other systems I'd have to emulate (though i have a friend with Dreamcast and some other consoles, in case "real deal" testing is needed).

I know that Adventure Game Studio (which I'm currently learning btw) had some export options in the older builds, but abandoned it now. And that some other engines/makers "could" be ported, but then again I'm not a programmer and would never build anything from sourcecode.

Another one I now remember is perhaps OpenBOR. Though I'm worried to see they deleted their old documentation wiki, and their forum is pain to browse.

Anything else one may suggest or remember? I think this is curious theme.
If this thread fits better to another subforum, please move it there. Thanks.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mentioned Adventure Game Studio, afaik games made with it can be played by ScummVM, which has been ported to basically every platform.

If you're counting Unity, it's possible to get Unity games running on 3DS and Switch and probably others, but it's not a nice legal homebrew method, you've gotta pirate official SDK files. Godot is a comparable engine that can be run on Switch and maybe others by nice clean homebrew methods, but might not be as well supported as a Unity so far in terms of tools for non-coders to make games.

Game Maker games can be injected into official Undertale and other commercially released GM games for Switch (and again maybe other platforms), I don't know if everything like saving can always be made to work, but might be fine when you're making your own game rather than trying to port someone else's without the source.

Reactions: Yaro

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah and there are homebrews for playing RPG Maker games (certain versions of RPG Maker only), and for that clone Zelda engine Solarus.

...and Ren'Py for visual novels or whatever.

Reactions: Yaro

Yaro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Interesting possibilities, thanks.

And what about something like GZDoom? I know that there were some Quake1-based fps for PSP including Half-Life demake or something like that, ha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto