Hacking Best model for hacking?

Kionea

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna be getting one for a friend and after going through hell a few years ago with my own 3000, I'm wondering what the most accessible model is. I assume the older the better but I wanna be sure.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Absolute best. Probably still a permanent mod capable 2000.

Practically speaking... basically anything you like the feel of and screen on, preferably with a firmware of 6.60 or below (better yet 6.20). Sony hosed up in a big way and put the PSP keys on every PS3. When the PS3 was blown wide open such a thing was discovered so now homebrew can be signed and run on anything. If you have a model that can not take a permanent custom firmware then you leave it in standby or you have to run a program (again signed so no need for that pain the arse image exploit or something similar) before you run PSP commercial games; homebrew runs from the stock menus in most instances if it is signed. That said the 6.61 stuff does lack a bit when compared to the other stuff so do try to find one not on that, or have a means of downgrading.

The stickies at the top have more
http://gbatemp.net/threads/psp-hacking-modding-f-a-q-start-here.268289/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

Kionea

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. That'll really help. I've been outta the loop for a while so I'm oblivious to all the new developments.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, basically, pick a model, any model. 1000 if you want some heft and don't mind the lesser RAM that takes away a rather small handful of emulation advantages. Early 2000 if you really, really want to be comfortable in case you somehow actually manage to hard brick the system, which, at this point, would be a feat of pure skill. Later 2000 or 3000 depending on your screen preference, as these are most likely to still be excellent condition systems if bought secondhand. The GO if the form factor works as it does have the super convenient built in storage. Last and certainly least, the E1000 if you don't mind the gimped version of the system. Not necessarily horrible, but certainly the least of all the available PSP models.

People prefer 6.60 for whatever reason, although I like sticking with 6.20. They're really the same thing at this point in terms of support. If you end up getting a system on 6.61, there are a couple different downgraders available that work perfectly (I speak from experience). Most systems out there can use the permanent patch for the CFW as well, which completely removes the need for the fast recovery whenever the system is fully restarted.

All in all, PSP modding has been made so easy and painless it's almost ridiculous.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas