Best Linux Distro for beginner

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,004
  • Replies 47
D

Deleted User

OP
I want to get into Linux. I have been curious of if their is something better than windows. I want to try new things. I was going to boot a Linux distro off my USB but I did not know where to start. I saw so many it honestly confused me. What is the difference between something like "Mint" and "Ubuntu" and what would be the best OS for a noob like me? Thanks

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not too experienced with linux (been a windows user for as long as I can remember) but my first foray into the world of *nix is Fedora 23 on my 1.76 firmware PS4.

Talk about getting thrown in the deep end! It's a very steep learning curve coming from Windows and it's required many many hours trawling forums and tech blogs. I enjoy tinkering with electronic devices so I haven't become frustrated enough to rage-quit thus far.

If you're the type of person who like things to "just work" out of the box, Linux won't be for you, but if you see obstacles as a challenge to overcome and don't mind spending an hour or two in a command-line terminal, I think you'll find Linux quite rewarding once you get it working sweet.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Ppl recommend ubuntu. I used several linux distros and that was the easiest to use for me...

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Basically every Linux Distro with a ready to use desktop enviroment. Like Ubunut, Mint and such. The main difference between them are these desktop enviroment since Mint is a derivate of Ubuntu and Ubunut is a derivate of Debian :). However the nice thing about Linux is that you can use whatever desktop enviroment you want to name a few KDE, Gnome, Unity (its what Ubuntu uses).
Here is a list with more https://www.linux.com/news/best-linux-desktop-environments-2016 ;)

Last edited by nIxx,

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
manjaro can be a nice try, it has a easy installer, and you get the arch experience but with stable releases
https://manjaro.org/

i personally think debian based distros are less user friendly. once you get an arch based distro like manjaro or antergos going, its easier to use, install programs and commands are easier too

Last edited by iluvfupaburgers,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything on https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major save for arch linux* and a copy of https://xkcd.com/627/
Assuming you have a machine of modest power (core2 and 4 gigs of RAM is plenty) then stick it inside a virtual machine https://www.virtualbox.org/
If you are using an odd distro with virtualbox then pick whatever you recognise when it gives you the premade setup choices (usually ubuntu) as it should do just as well.

*if you are ultimately intending to know it all and set up servers then arch is great but if you just want click around a UI before diving right in then don't. You can follow a guide and have to know nothing but why have the hassle. Equally there are probably big distros out there which that link does not cover, and most people would have no clue what mageia is and probably only have used slackware if they were doing stuff way back when, but hey.

Once you have the VM then read what you are doing at each step (it should all be on the screen) and use the logic of the comic above. About the only thing I will say is everything on linux goes through the file system. Visit the /proc directory and see some files -> they are files but they are actually files representing the processes running on your machine. We could cover what each does but for normal users on a machine (and unlike windows' "make everybody an administrator" approach to life you do spend most of your time as a normal user) your files are usually stored in /home/username. In the command line this is given the symbol # so you can type cd # and it will change to it for the user you are logged into. There is more to the command line and it is very powerful but you can probably avoid using it really if you want. Likewise there are other little things like file ownership and marking (chown and chmod respectively) but don't worry so much about those for now, they are however of major importance in servers and the like.

Other than that just play. If you are on an old laptop or something you gave to the task, or a virtual machine there is nothing you can do which will mess things up beyond deleting files on your network shares or something like that.

brigcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I prefer debian or arch, but for a beginner Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition is by far the best choice. Avoid Ubuntu. Mint is based on it but without most of its bullshit :rolleyes:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing stopping you from trying out multiple distros and seeing which you prefer, because in the end, the choice comes down to a matter of personal preference. Ubuntu and Mint are the two most popular distros, so you should probably start there. Both are also as noob-friendly as a Linux distro is going to be.

For various reasons I'm not going to get into right now, it's also worth keeping in mind that a lot of people who try Linux eventually go back to Windows as their primary OS. There's no shame in this, and like I said earlier, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do people keep forgetting to tag me in these threads?
As GBAtemp's Linux Queen, I have come with answers! I have a few suggestions
Zorin OS: For those who want to easy into Linux from Windows. It comes pre-configured with Wine/PlayonLinux. With a Windows look/feel.
Linux Mint: For those who want everything set up and ready to go. Super stable, super easy, super great. Still keeps that Windows look, without being too "Windows."
Ubuntu: Beginner friendly, well being the most Linux you can get. Unity is a nice touch to really get dip your toe into the Linux work, without throwing you into the deep end.
Manjaro Linux: Manjaro is the Linux Mint of Arch. It's actually extremely stable, but also rolling release. Which means you only need to install it once and your whole OS, applications included, will be always updated without needing to download a new version of the OS.
elementary OS: Basically an OSX replacement based on Ubuntu.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Ricken

Oh Pretty Angel... Did None Teach You?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coming from a guy who's installed far too many distros I would suggest..
Pearl; Practically OS X without the Hackintosh (and without the .applescript support)
Lubuntu; Light af, and is really easy to adapt to if you're used to Windows

..And literally everything Crystal recommended :wtf:

xy2_

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Debian < Arch = FreeBSD in terms of difficulty. If you don't mind spending some hours on making your computer functional go for arch/FreeBSD, you will learn a lot in the process. For something easier get Debian (or any related distro, such as Linux Mint/Ubuntu etc.)

Last edited by xy2_,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
As has been recommended before, Linux Mint is a great introduction to Linux. However, I would also recommend Antergos if you want something a bit more customization. It's like Arch, but with an easy to use installer.

Tizm

JESSE, WE GOT TO COOK!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
definitely not arch for beginners, try ubuntu, debian, or mint. those are probably one of the top newb easy to setup os, I've been using linux for quite some time(like 3 years), and i still use ubuntu.:blush:

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to get into Linux. I have been curious of if their is something better than windows. I want to try new things. I was going to boot a Linux distro off my USB but I did not know where to start. I saw so many it honestly confused me. What is the difference between something like "Mint" and "Ubuntu" and what would be the best OS for a noob like me? Thanks
Well, there's really no simple answer to that question, at least not that friendly.

As example, on windows everything runs off an .exe file, like an installer, on linux distribution, sometimes you will have to turn to terminal or downloading packages trough APT, i can recommend you a lot of distros, but at the end you will be the one to decide, even 1 Linux distribution will have several variants, take mint for example, having Cinammon And Matter, so, cinnamon its based on Gnome3 tending to be more graphical exhaust, you can take Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Puppy Linux, DSL, among others, also if you don't feel that confident leaving the windows area, you can go use Ylmf OS [StartOs]:
Ylmf-OS_1.jpg

I use Mint, just for fun, nothing serious, as well as some other private distros ;D

linuxmint5.png

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I like ubuntu mate. During the installation it allows you to get the non open source drivers for your pc.
This way instead of looking for a generic wifi driver or whatever driver. You will have the correct driver for your device.
Mate is very lightweight and seems for function very well on a laptop. One of the things that I hate about current linux distros is the removal of package manager. (it can be downloaded but That's what I prefer to use to download packages)
If you are looking for an easy to install distro do not get arch or debian.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and...