• Replies 47

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Debian might not have a nice GUI for most of it but anybody that ran through installing a DOS program should be able to handle it, as might anybody that can read and knows the basics of computers (not Linux, just computers).

Reactions: FaTaL_ErRoR

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm a Linux beginner and installed many distros. Go with an Ubuntu flavour (using Lubuntu right now). Mint couldn't reinit my laptop's screen when returning from sleep, under elementary, just about every app assumed a different keyboard layout. And Zorin OS Lite is just Lubuntu with Wine and a reskin (to me at least, they're both using openbox and lxde).

Last edited by SomeGamer,

dscdscdsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think ubuntu is good for newcomers because it has good support. It's been around long enough to have a solid community behind it and you can get as deep as you want with it.

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Warning, KDE is a clusterfuck. That being said, Kubuntu is fine for beginner use.
Okay, I'll be sure to check it out, I've dealt with some clusterfucky interfaces before (not Linux though).

What I will do, since I'm going to be installing it instead of Vista, is instead run it in a VM on my computer first before actually trying it out, is this a good idea? What kinda specs should I give the VM?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'll be sure to check it out, I've dealt with some clusterfucky interfaces before (not Linux though).

What I will do, since I'm going to be installing it instead of Vista, is instead run it in a VM on my computer first before actually trying it out, is this a good idea? What kinda specs should I give the VM?
Running it in a VM should be fine, give it like 1.5 to 2 gigs of ram and 20-25 gigabytes of space.
Probably Ubuntu.
No, stop recommending ubuntu. Recommend Linux Mint/Xubuntu instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol