Best Freeware Game...

Private|Par

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just found something that I thought you guys might found interesting. The best freeware games of 07, posted by some guy on forums I don't read. Gotta love that stumble. But it got me thinking, what's the best freeware game you've played this year or last year? Mine is actually one of the posters, FRAXY. I recommend you try it out. The best shmup I've ever played, thanks to the extensive editor. Another good one, also mentioned on that forum, is Knytt Stories, a platformer. Very intuitive. So what have you guys played that has impressed you? Can we keep this PC only, please. I feel that "freeware" on consoles are more "homebrew".

LFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
-Cave Story. I end up playing it every year.
-An Untitled Story, a metroid-y style platform adventure.
-Lyle in Cube Sector, awesome.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
LFF said:
-Cave Story. I end up playing it every year.
-An Untitled Story, a metroid-y style platform adventure.
-Lyle in Cube Sector, awesome.

Could you please be a bit more specific. I'm interested in this
wink.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, there's a lot of good freeware games out there. Good for when you're bored on your PC and want a quick game of something.
Here are the best freeware games I currently have (I recommend you check them all out):
- Noitu Love
- Noitu Love 2 (somehow manages to better the original, but only a demo at the moment)
- Madness Interactive
- N (N+ is coming out on the DS and Wii sometime soon, so you may want to check the original out first)
- Acid Bomb 2 (really good puzzler)
- Osu! Beat Game (just an EBA-style game with custom songs)
- Frets on Fire
- Samorost
- Samorost 2
- Cave Story
- The Underside (just like Cave Story)
- Fancy Pants
- Fancy Pants 2

I'm also a big fan of Nifflas' games (creator of Knytt Stories). Knytt, the prequel, is worth checking out. Within A Deep Forest has to be one of my favourite games to date as well (the fact I enjoy it more than many 2D Mario games is a testament to that), and you absolutely HAVE to play it. In fact, most of his library of games is worth checking out.
On that subject, Nifflas has already confirmed he is working on "Skymning", which will likely come to WiiWare sometime next year. I guarantee it will be a smash hit. And his other project "Night Game" looks amazing so far. A physics-based puzzle/adventure game where you play as a ball. It's very stylised, in that everything is depicted at night.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting and raving. FreeWare games can be better than commercial games in rare cases, so they're most certainly worth checking out.

EDIT:
I forgot one hehe. An incredibly old game now, but interesting enough to check out. Facade was a revolutionary game that even featured in many newspapers. A group of French university students created a scenario in which you must talk your two "friends" (two CPU players, with randomly-generated dialogue) and save their marriage. It's hard to describe, but the fact the AI is reasonably clever enough to respond intelligently to what you type is quite frankly awesome. It can also create a few laughs when you swear at them until they kick you out, start snogging one of the partners, and generally do stuff you wouldn't do normally.

Private|Par

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Madness Interactive, N and Frets on Fire. You guys need to check those out. Trolly, I'll try a few of those when I get time, the Osu! Beat Game sounds interesting....

LFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
fateastray said:
No mmo's right?

Okay.!

Elastomania!
I used to play that all day. I loved the editor. I'd just make a level where you go as fast as possible. Good times...

I gotta say, OpenArena is awesome. Just like Quake 3, only free.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am definately not a Knytt fan. I agree it's well made, but it's VERY lite on the gameplay. WaDF was, for me, Nifflas best game. I've had long lengthy discussions with him about it though (part of the community that spawned those games).

Noitu Love 2 isn't a freeware game BTW.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Dwarf Fortress. That game is awesome!

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Don't really play freeware games, but thanks for that list. There's some interesting games that i could try
ohmy.gif

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story cave story

cave story

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
Haha, you know it's rumoured to be coming to WiiWare?
It is?! Holy shit.

I'm still looking forward to the DS homebrew port. Play on the top screen, weapons and junk on the bottom, it can't fail! But, WiiWare wouldn't be too bad.

LFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The guy who started that rumour admitted he got it wrong. Because the Amiga port was removed due to a lethal bug, people assumed all ports were being removed to make way for a WiiWare version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!