Hardware Best build for ~£300

FamousBug_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I plan on building this pc for christmas, so try and find parts that will be on discount.

Many thanks,
Bug

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VMwCq4 This goes about 50 over your price but the extra 50 is well worth it. If you really cant pay that extra money, cut down the cpu to a ryzen 2200 or whatever fits in the budget. This build has *no* gpu, it runs off of the ryzen apu. Youre not going to get a gpu better than what ryzen can do and stay within that budget. Should easily outperform ps4/xbone but its not gonna be doing 4k unless you stick in a 1060.

Reactions: lampdemon

FamousBug_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh shit then get the 2400g. My bad.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XRbVZR

I asked on reddit and got this build, I had to change the psu to a £30 more expensive one coz the one he linked didnt exist. I wont be able to get the 2400g for multiple reasons.
a.) Its ~£65 more
b.) My friend has a spare 1050 he is willing to sell for £90 and it hasnt been mined on.
c.) It doesn't have a big enough performance increase to warrant such a price increase.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XRbVZR

I asked on reddit and got this build, I had to change the psu to a £30 more expensive one coz the one he linked didnt exist. I wont be able to get the 2400g for multiple reasons.
a.) Its ~£65 more
b.) My friend has a spare 1050 he is willing to sell for £90 and it hasnt been mined on.
c.) It doesn't have a big enough performance increase to warrant such a price increase.
If you're getting a dedicated GPU, you might want to get intel instead of ryzen assuming this is mostly for gaming. I recommended ryzen because it has better dedicated graphics. If you go for an older i5 you can probably get a better gaming machine for your money because ddr3 is much cheaper. Ryzen and Intel are both perfectly fine for gaming or work station, but usually ryzen will have a slight edge in workstation while intel is slightly better at gaming for equally priced parts. Also the reason I said 2400g despite the "small" performance increase, its because its GPU performance increase is really good. But that doesnt matter if you're using a 1050.

Last edited by bi388,

FamousBug_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 1050 is an idea still, I may not be getting it, if I do I will definitely get an older set of parts and 16/32gb ddr3 (£10 per 8gb...) but if I don't I will go for the ryzen apu. I also believe that it will be too expensive, as my build atm is a bit expensive for me, and the extra ~£60 for a boost in graphics deters me from the idea.

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're getting a dedicated GPU, you might want to get intel instead of ryzen assuming this is mostly for gaming. I recommended ryzen because it has better dedicated graphics. If you go for an older i5 you can probably get a better gaming machine for your money because ddr3 is much cheaper. Ryzen and Intel are both perfectly fine for gaming or work station, but usually ryzen will have a slight edge in workstation while intel is slightly better at gaming for equally priced parts. Also the reason I said 2400g despite the "small" performance increase, its because its GPU performance increase is really good. But that doesnt matter if you're using a 1050.
The biggest problem with Intel is the value. Ryzen offers much greater performance in multi-core performance at a lower price, and still having a IPC so close that it’s no laughing matter. If you can find an i5/7 for extremely cheap, it’s a good deal, but considering the market of Intel CPUs right now, that may be a problem. Intel’s gaming performance increase is minimal compared to what you’ll usually spend on an AMD CPU. Older generation Intel CPUs are also bad because the socket is at a dead end.

I’d say go for a Zen APU. Not only is isn’t affordable and offers great performance, but the AM4 socket is already ready for Zen 2 and 3, allowing you to spend minimal cash on CPU upgrades in the future (Zen 2 will be using a 7nm node, meaning greater IPC over Intel and greater total performance). If you run into any gaming problems, (I presume you shouldn’t considering the low budget) then you can always add a graphics card down later in the line, otherwise, the accelerated graphics will do you just fine. Oh, and just make sure you use dual channel memory at all costs.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem with Intel is the value. Ryzen offers much greater performance in multi-core performance at a lower price, and still having a IPC so close that it’s no laughing matter. If you can find an i5/7 for extremely cheap, it’s a good deal, but considering the market of Intel CPUs right now, that may be a problem. Intel’s gaming performance increase is minimal compared to what you’ll usually spend on an AMD CPU.
True to an extent, but an older intel cpu will save a lot on ram due to using ddr3, and most games will not use more than 4 cores so the multicore performance will be pretty much the same between an i5 and ryzen for most titles.

FamousBug_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True to an extent, but an older intel cpu will save a lot on ram due to using ddr3, and most games will not use more than 4 cores so the multicore performance will be pretty much the same between an i5 and ryzen for most titles.
So basically, if I want a ddr4 build I should go ryzen, whereas if I got ddr3 I should check out older CPUs and components.

I mean, I was planning on doing this anyway purely because ddr3 is still good for office work and mild programming, which I will be mainly doing, but is it good for emulation?

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Core i5 4690 devil canyon oc a 4.2 ghz on 4 cores
I don't see any problem for the emulation, I have a hd 7970 radeon
With calamity driver, for video output vga scart rvb, I play gameboy nes, until ps2 without problem, my ram is ddr3 1600mhz, oc a 2000mhz ,mother card msi z97 gaming, for retrogaming in 4k? I don't know, I don't like high resolution for retrogaming, I play in native resolution, I can play in full hd, but no interest for me, artifact, false resolution scale etc....
Exemple retroarch crt resolution on sony crt aperture

Last edited by KHEOPS,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, if I want a ddr4 build I should go ryzen, whereas if I got ddr3 I should check out older CPUs and components.

I mean, I was planning on doing this anyway purely because ddr3 is still good for office work and mild programming, which I will be mainly doing, but is it good for emulation?
You can only use ddr3 on older parts, which means no ryzen. Newer intel and all ryzen cpus use ddr4. As for emulation, the ram doesnt really matter but for emulating wii/wiiu/ps3 you'll need a decent CPU. Any of intels flagship i5s should be fine for wii, you'll probably want a 4660 or newer for most wii u or ps3 games though. Ryzen is fine for emulation but is usually less bang for buck because it has its power distributed over more cores, and emulators are locked to 2-4 cores. An older i5 will be 4 cores so an emulator can use all of its power while a ryzen CPU might be 8 cores meaning half of them arent usable. Ryzen is still a really good option though, it will emulate fine if you have the cash for a decent ryzen CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI