Hacking Best 2Gb MicroSD for an M3 Simply?

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow 4saken those are some great results. I am waiting for either the Toshiba or the SanDisk Premier Line.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yea. I expect the new Sandisk and Toshiba ones will be the top in 2GB performance. I am still waiting for a card which 100% doesn't freeze in Castlevania: POR. I'll test Tony Hawk later.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I can't believe so many people got ripped on the 2GB Ultra II. I suggest users that own the device to contact SanDisk as they provide a solution for the problem.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

beefmissile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played through PoR on the Patriot 2GB with no lockups as well. I couldn't do anything to make it lock, though i don't know if thats the case with all of them just posting my experience with my card. The DoS intro movie plays smooth on it as well. I just ordered a PNY 2GB card to see if it's a rebranded Toshiba like the 1GB model. If thats the case i'll let you guys know.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I played through PoR on the Patriot 2GB with no lockups as well. I couldn't do anything to make it lock, though i don't know if thats the case with all of them just posting my experience with my card. The DoS intro movie plays smooth on it as well. I just ordered a PNY 2GB card to see if it's a rebranded Toshiba like the 1GB model. If thats the case i'll let you guys know.

The PNY's arent
frown.gif
. I asked a reseller and he said their manufacturer is in Taiwan for their 2 GB cards

korbob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also have a 1gb patriot in my cell phone, here are the results for that one. This one locks up with POR for certain, so it looks to be the random access time is the culprit to the skipping and lockups. So if your card has an access time of 2.1ms or under you should be fine.

1gb Patriot
burst speed: 4.3 MB/s
average sequential read speed: 4.3 MB/s
random access: 2.6ms
Patriot 2gb MicroSD
Formatted FAT32
Response Time: 1.4ms
Average Read: 4.8mb/s

Test by HD Tach, a generic Internal SD card reader was used.

The response time is decent, but the read speeds are so goddamned awful. It does mostly match your tests though. I just hope the card is stable enough when I get to use it.

Final note: I haven't tested out this SD card for anything yet, it is just awaiting the SCone that is coming in the mail.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Access times above 2 ms are horrible - but it depends on your reader. The Sandisk 2GB has an access time of 1ms and it still crashes.

beefmissile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got my PNY 2gb card in and thought i'd post up some benchmarks comparing it to my Patriot card.

PNY 2GB Micro SD
Random Access: 1.4 ms
Average Read: 9.2 MB/s

Patriot 2GB Micro SD
Random Access: 1.4 ms
Average Read: 9.1 MB/s

Both cards tested were tested using HD Tach quick bench on a sandisk mobilemate SD+ card reader, FAT32 format. On an interesting note i have a feeling that both cards are made by the same manufacturer. On the back of the cards there are two lines of alphanumeric code.

PNY:
E248TN02G
IOBE 0712

Patriot:
E248TN02G
IOBE 0704

Both cards have a formated capacity of 1.89GB. The similar numbering, performance, and capacity lead me to believe that the cards are identical aside from the branding. The Patriot packaging clearly stated that it was made in taiwan, though there is no mention of it on the card itself. As for the PNY, neither the packaging nor the card make any mention of where it was manufactured.

Like i have said previously i have played through Castlevania PoR with the Patriot with no crashes. I tried to crash the PNY but could not, i spammed the start button at both wind and at portals and it wouldn't crash. The Dos intro played smoothly as well. I'd recommend either card for anyone looking to go to 2GB capacity. I got the PNY card from buy.com for $30 flat making it one of the better deals i've seen for a 2GB micro SD.

On a final note if anyone knows of a place that i can get a Toshiba 2GB shipped to the USA for a reasonable price (around $40 or so), let me know. I ordered one from FlashMemoryStore.com but they emailed me saying that the Toshibas were no longer available and offered to switch me over to a samsung card, which i declined. As a warning, they still have it listed on their site as a Toshiba so be careful if looking to order from them.

NICK

beefmissile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting update. I got a new R4 from dealextreme this past week and it came with a different card reader than i'd ever seen before. I thought nothing of it since the pack in card readers have all sucked up until now. I just benched both cards with this new reader and got these results.

PNY 2GB Micro SD
Random Access: 1.0 ms
Average Read: 10.2 MB/s

Patriot 2GB Micro SD
Random Access: 1.0 ms
Average Read: 10.3 MB/s

These results put both of these cards on par with the Toshiba in terms of random access. The reader has an aluminum casing, quite nice actually. The results are a little odd since i was under the impression that sandisk readers were the best, guess i was wrong.

4saken, you want to sell me your toshiba and an m3 lite for $40?
tongue.gif

PM with a price and we'll see if we can work something out. To be honest i'm not too interested in the M3 unless it's a perfect, though i could probably move it. On a side note, what card reader do you use for testing?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rofl2: