Hacking Best 2Gb MicroSD for an M3 Simply?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I only tell people to use one card, and one card only - SanDisk Ultra II 1GB, if you're looking for something else, then ur just asking for trouble

So no Kingstons
tongue.gif
?

shiwen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got the 2gb patriot from frys on sale for $34 a couple of weeks back. no slow downs in dawn of sorrow opening or freezing in portrait of ruin. what games are not working on 2gb cards?

Really? How far have you played? Tested the usual suspect areas (portals or something).

I started it on a 1gb adata, freezed all over the place, then switched to kingston 1gb japan, which had no problems. key problems would be skipping in dawn of sorrow opening. In portrait of ruin, biggest problems would be freezing at obelisks and when pausing when you enter the ghost's(wind) room. no problems with the 1gb kingston. got the 2gb patriot for a friend, ran all the problem areas, and was impressed with the performance(no skipping or freezing), so i went back and got one for myself. I'm at the last boss.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I started it on a 1gb adata, freezed all over the place, then switched to kingston 1gb japan, which had no problems. key problems would be skipping in dawn of sorrow opening. In portrait of ruin, biggest problems would be freezing at obelisks and when pausing when you enter the ghost's(wind) room. no problems with the 1gb kingston. got the 2gb patriot for a friend, ran all the problem areas, and was impressed with the performance(no skipping or freezing), so i went back and got one for myself. I'm at the last boss.

Shit. Think you can send me one
tongue.gif
Newegg doesn't ship to Aussie, and that's the only cheap site
ohmy.gif

shiwen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, sorry to hear that. best of luck getting a card though mate.

here's the data on read write speeds i got for the 1gb kingston japan and 2gb patriot using hdtach. The numbers look low to me, so i think the reason for the low numbers is the microsd reader (that came my m3 simply) that i'm using. does anyone know a better program/way to test the read write speeds?

1gb kingston(japan)
burst speed: 4.4MB/s
sequential read speed: 4.3MB/s
random access: 1.8ms

2gb Patriot
burst speed: 4.3 MB/s
average sequential read speed: 4.2 MB/s
random access: 2.1ms

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seems almost as good as the Kingston Jap. I need to get my hands on one of these.. Can anybody who is buying one too ship one to AUS. I'll pay extra of course
tongue.gif

st0nedpenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after reading some of Fifth's reviews of the R3/M4 I decided to take the plunge and pick up what should be one of the newer "super" A-DATA 2GB cards, should be here in a couple days to go with my freshly arrived R4!

Damn R4 is sat here all alone right now though since the 1GB card hasn't arrived yet.
blink.gif

shiwen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also have a 1gb patriot in my cell phone, here are the results for that one. This one locks up with POR for certain, so it looks to be the random access time is the culprit to the skipping and lockups. So if your card has an access time of 2.1ms or under you should be fine.

1gb Patriot
burst speed: 4.3 MB/s
average sequential read speed: 4.3 MB/s
random access: 2.6ms

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an FYI for users. I did a review roundup of many popular (7 in total) microSD cards. Specs of the review below:

* Over 7 microSD cards tested.
* Flash media buying guide.
* DS ROM memory capacity information.
* Many detailed charts and graphs.
* 3 different benchmarking applications utilized.
* Real-world transfer and DS performance results.
* Analytical results explanations.

Check the link in my sig for the review.

IMO the SanDisk and A-DATA 2GB models are the top performers.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, there is no such thing as the SanDisk Ultra II 2GB microSD. However, SanDisk WILL be releasing its first high-speed (Ultra II speeds) microSD this June, SanDisk Mobile Premier Cards. They will come in both 1GB & 2GB capacities and offer speeds of 10/9 MB/sec Read/Write for best performance. MSRP is $69.99 for the 2GB and $44.99 for the 1GB. They will probably be the fastest microSD cards on the market with the best access times once released. I will be doing a full review upon release as I'll be picking one up ASAP. Otherwise the SanDisk Ultra II is the best card currently on the market overall.

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Otherwise the SanDisk Ultra II is the best card currently on the market overall.

You're forgetting the Kingston Japanese card
tongue.gif
But I guess you don't have a sample of it to review. Both cards are relatively cheap, but the Kingston is much easier to obtain.

Looking forward to your updated review fifth
smile.gif

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
is this 2gig ultra 2 micro sd real?
http://www.jessops.com/Store/s48051/0/Memo...ls.aspx?&comp=n

Nope, there is no such thing as the SanDisk Ultra II 2GB microSD. However, SanDisk WILL be releasing its first high-speed (Ultra II speeds) microSD this June, SanDisk Mobile Premier Cards. They will come in both 1GB & 2GB capacities and offer speeds of 10/9 MB/sec Read/Write for best performance. MSRP is $69.99 for the 2GB and $44.99 for the 1GB. They will probably be the fastest microSD cards on the market with the best access times once released. I will be doing a full review upon release as I'll be picking one up ASAP. Otherwise the SanDisk Ultra II is the best card currently on the market overall.

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

Stuff and nonsense!
This IS a genuine product but they are not on sale in North America. I've got one and it tests at almost the same speed as the 1GB Ultra II. (They're £17.99 at mymemory.co.uk btw and the 2GB Kingston is £13.99).

Jessops is the UK's largest Camera retailer. Do you think that they would sell a product that's not genuine?

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
betaboy, you don't have to convince me. Call the UK SanDisk tech line, and or email, and they will verify that the device is a fake. They also offer a way for users to be compensated for the mislabeled packaging. This was an error in which the 2GB microSD, regular speed, was labeled with the Ultra II moniker which caused loads of confusion. There is no sch thing as the SanDisk Ultra II 2GB, but don't trust me... call SanDisk. They offer a replacement and/or refund to users who purchased a problem/mislabeled de3vice.

Don't you find it odd how the UK is the only one getting this new device? Ask yourself this, doesn't it seem more logical that the mislabeled devices were sent to the main distributor there and then out to stores? Come on, the UK hording all of the 2GB Ultra II devices, lol. Its nothing personal bud I just don't want users to spend money that isn't needed when the real device will be out soon in the way of the SanDisk Mobile Premier line.

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best 2GB choice so far would be the Toshiba 2GB, though in terms of access times, the Sandisk seems to be the same (have they upped their quality recently?). The Toshiba also rarely freezes in Castlevania: POR as long as you wait for the portal animation to load, and I'm not sure about Tony Hawk, but I'm guessing the massive read speed will help a bit (if not cure the problem).

Toshiba 2GB (tested twice)
toshibajaptest.jpg

toshiba2nd.jpg

Sandisk 2GB
sandisk2gb.jpg

And just for comparison, Kingston 1GB Japanese
kingstonjaptest.jpg

All of the cards are factory formatted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users