Before/After 3DS games (development comparison)

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by granville, Dec 31, 2010.

Dec 31, 2010
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Several games 3DS games have changed during the course of development. It's interesting to see before and after shots. Lets have a look at a couple.

Pro Baseball Spirits early 3DS shots-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Later development shots-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The difference is like night and day. Early shots look like some of the worst PSP games. Heck, the game doesn't look far off with what DS, N64, or PS1 could do. Later shots, it's like going from totally different systems in completely different generations. Textures are no longer such a mess, models look like they are built with more polygons, and the shading and lighting are much better. Check out the baseball bats and helmets, they now have a shine to them! Even the shadows are no longer just block black blobs, but they're now very smooth and realistic.

Now for Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike. Early 3DS shots of this brawler-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Recent development screens-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This one is pretty incredible. It not only received a facelift in terms of graphical quality, but an entirely new art style. Gone is the bright cartoony look, it's replaced by a darker more realistic and detailed tone. Besides that though, dinos seem to sport higher polygons. And there's a lot of better lighting and shading going on, taking better use of the 3DS' superior graphical processing. Might be some bump mapping as well.

Development sure helped these games look better. Always interesting to see the incremental progression in screens!

2. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    wow the look good

3. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    thanks for the post, just shows what time and dedication can produce on this new tech wonder.

4. granville
    OP

United States
    Indeed, i always appreciate this sort of thing, seeing an incremental development process. Good contenders for submission on unseen64 when the games actually release to retail (if the damn site would come back up lol). Not that the games will end up being great in gameplay, but the dedication to improvement is clear in terms of presentation.

5. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    You should add Street Fighter to that list. That showed pretty huge improvements as well.

6. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I think developers for the 3DS would be wise to learn from the mistakes of the PSP, good graphics does not mean good gameplay, a balance is in order. Hopefully the 3rd party will get this, I mean we all know how much crapware there was on both handhelds. What saved the DS was the sheer amount of good games, that I think continues to outweigh the PSP. But that's a different story.

7. granville
    OP

United States
    EDIT- oh great, my top post was erased somehow... Now i'll have to start all over again. I'm sorry about this guys, it will take a few minutes... [​IMG]

True enough about SSF4. Though not as much of a difference as the ones i posted. I won't clutter and lengthen the top post anymore. There aren't many similar screens for me to compare here, but here goes.

Early SSF4 3D screens-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Newer SSF4 3D screen-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd say the game always looked great from the beginning. Though it looks like they've improved the backgrounds by a good amount, and the character shading and textures have been cleaned up a bit. Characters look a lot brighter, and the fighters and backgrounds blend much better than they used to. In early screens, characters clashed rather badly with environments due to color and style differences. Not so anymore. Backgrounds also look sharper as well.

8. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    love chunli in tha picture DAT ASS

9. granville
    OP

United States
    Fixed the top post, dunno what happened but it just erased itself somehow... (this time got a backup lol)

10. Rukia-san

Member Rukia-san GBAtemp Regular

France
    It is indeed very interesting, it looks almost as if the "early shot" were from another game. I'm looking forward to the Pro Baseball from the graphics alone it seems quite promising.

11. Eighteen

Member Eighteen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Oh wow, those are Really brushen up [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But that is to be expected.. After a while (like 1 year after release of the 3DS) the games will look Soooo much better I bet [​IMG]
    They already look awesome now.. boy.. Totally can't wait!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    I can't wait to see how kingdom hearts looks .....Square enix always has s tendency to push nintendo's handhelds to their limits .....358/2 days surprised me as I never though the DS could look that good....

13. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    The street fighter models are rather ugly compared to the models in street fighter 4 in psr and 360(thinking at first it will be as beutiful as street fighter 4)

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Shit that looks good! Can't wait for some Animal Crossing of MGS3 screens!

EDIT: Oh and Vigilante, you don't need to quote the whole first post to reply to it. And you were seriously thinking a handheld game would look as good as a console game? Ha!

15. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    The screenshots look amazing. Are you seriously comparing the graphics with PS3 and 360 type graphics?

16. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

But still, those are beautiful pictures... I wonder if the 3DS will soon be on par with the PSP?

17. granville
    OP

United States
    @Vigilante

Where did i EVER say SSF4 3D looked on par (or close) to the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions? And why on earth would you expect it to? The 3DS is nowhere near as graphically powerful as those systems. 3DS' polygon pushing abilities are pretty solidly rooted in the Gamecube-era of tech. The shaders and other such effects are what give it the edge over those systems. All things considered, the game looks amazing on the 3DS considering the limitations. I wouldn't ever even use the word ugly to describe the game, even comparing it to another game. It's anything but ugly, even comparing it to the console versions it does an admirable job replicating the style and all.

At any rate, this topic is about comparing early shots of games to newer shots. I'm comparing what has changed and been improved graphically over the development span of the same games. I'm not comparing the games to graphics seen on the current gen consoles. That's not the point of this topic.

@Slyakin

3DS definitely outdoes the PSP graphically already. We have enough information about the 3DS' GPU to know that it has the graphical edge. Plus, we've got visually stunning games such as Resident Evil Revelations, Mercenaries 3D, Kid Icarus Uprising, Metal Gear Solid 3D, and some others to show us what the system can really do. PSP would not be able to output the graphics on the level that the 3DS can handle. That's not to say it isn't a great system, or that the 3DS has beaten it in terms of gameplay. Of course it's impossible to determine gameplay until well into the 3DS' life cycle. But graphically, it's very well above PSP. The shaders alone give it an edge on almost any last gen system.

18. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Nothing new, people have been using placeholder art for years.

It just gives the devs something to work with whilst the designers are working out the kinks.

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  20. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    This is why I hate everyone who said 3DS graphics aren't that good judging by the first screens. I'm pretty sure graphics is generally one of the latest to polish aspects of a game.

Now those Battle of Giants screens are already breath-taking, imagine that in motion *¬*