OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This may have started before this, but around Tuesday, I noticed my battery life diminished significantly than before using the R4. I was playing Nervous Breakdown (awesome game, by the way) and it seemed to only last 4 or so hours (I never timed it) on the 3rd brightest setting.

What can cause this drastic reduction in battery capacity? I've been using this DS Lite since June of this year so it's fairly new. Does turning it on and off frequently cause the battery to drain faster? Does frequently changing games do this? Maybe it's just psychological but it seems really short now much like my old DS is like now.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes turning it on and off does drain battery more than if you were playing continuously.

And the R4 itself uses more battery than a regular game, so that may also explain the diminishing life.

AlexMoron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Quick and helpful reply! Thanks a ton!
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

It doesn't use loads more battery though (in game). Look at the R4 review for more details.

AlexMoron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'll do some tests then. I don't remember the battery being that small before so I just thought it had to be the R4. Hopefully it didn't screw up my battery.

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
Batteries have to be trained. If you decided to start playing with your DS when you first got it, instead of charging the battery like it tells you to do in the instruction manual, then you will have permanently reduced its capacity right at the start.

But who the FUCK reads instruction manuals, right? lolololololololol
Idiots.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still wondering about the R4/M3DSS and sleep mode. I haven't tried, but I think it drains more power than a normal cart.

Zombie_Mario

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The R4 runs games through the MicroSD instead of the on-board memory in regular cartridges. I guess it makes sense that the R4 will drain the battery more. Don't quote me though.

AlexMoron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I did a test almost identical to the review on the R4. Haven't had the time to perform the same test with the legit game but I don't think I need to given the outcome of this one.

4 hours 29 minutes. 3 hours 37 minutes on green and 52 minutes on red (I'm actually surprised it lasts that long on red).

I plan on doing a test for the 3rd brightest setting just to see how different it is. I guess it WAS psychological because it lasted even longer than it did for the review.

Ph1l0z0ph3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm my DS usually last around 10 hours on the R4 before dying out. Maybe its because i charged the DS when i first got it instead of playing it because i assumed it was dead lol.

AlexMoron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm my DS usually last around 10 hours on the R4 before dying out. Maybe its because i charged the DS when i first got it instead of playing it because i assumed it was dead lol.
I used the same test GBAtemp used for the R4 so I used the brightest setting and volume on max and got 7 minutes more than them. I'll try 3rd brightest setting sometime which normally guarantees around 10 hours which I assume you use.

Magnifico

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Batteries have to be trained. If you decided to start playing with your DS when you first got it, instead of charging the battery like it tells you to do in the instruction manual, then you will have permanently reduced its capacity right at the start.

But who the FUCK reads instruction manuals, right? lolololololololol
Idiots.

huh? i specifically looked in the instruction manual for something like this, because i know most things say to charge first. didnt find anything that said to charge first

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Retal is wrong, the battery is lithium ion.
you do not need to discharge/charge to full to keep the levels high. In the link it states that one of the drawbacks is that
the battery life may reduce drastically within a year or two though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare