Battery-less switch. Another step in my Consolize project.

In my quest to 'consolize' a switch into a Switchn't I wanted to remove the requirement for a battery.

Not much has been done to figure this out but I did find a thread on shmups in which user fwannmacher had over time figured it out after their battery failed.

First step, there are two test points next to the battery connector (on V1 and V2 switches, yet to confirm lite or oled) that are for the Sense line and GND. Putting a 10k ohm resistor across those pads makes the switch think the battery is fully charged, and will no longer try to charge it.
Sense GND.pngComplete.JPEG

Next step, the switch requires voltage into the batt circuit or it will not turn on. A DC to DC buck converter from the 15V rail on the switch dock motherboard is a perfect solution for this.
Before connecting the buck converter to the battery input on the switch motherboard, I set its output voltage to 4.22v on my digital multimeter and then connected the output wires to the switches battery input.
15V Dock.pngFinal Assy.JPEG

Now with buck voltage output at 4.22v on meter I then dialed it in to 4320mv in Hekate (4.30v on meter), hekate has battery info under Console Info/Battery.
This screen unfortunately doesn't auto refresh, so I was making very minute adjustments on the buck converters adjustment screw, then closing and reopening the battery screen to check the new value.
(I got the value of 4320mv from a second fully charged switch I had on hand, but I recommend you check what your console is before beginning modification)
Batt Info.png

With all this complete the switch now boots completely without a battery, both into OFW and CFW.
Proof of concept.jpeg

Thanks to fwannmacher for their work. I just wanted to do a complete writeup thats a little easier to follow for people in the future and hopefully extending the lifespan of some switches.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Question, Why do this?
"Consolizing" game systems has been a thing for a very long time. I wanna consolize my Sega Game Gear and a GBA SP I have. People even consolize Capcom CPS arcade boards with great success, and retrofit them with anti-suicide chips and other cool things. Sure, the end goal of turning a portable seems cool, even if a little fruitless, but it's also a lot of fun learning things as you go.

Reactions: JonJaded

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Consolizing" game systems has been a thing for a very long time. I wanna consolize my Sega Game Gear and a GBA SP I have. People even consolize Capcom CPS arcade boards with great success, and retrofit them with anti-suicide chips and other cool things. Sure, the end goal of turning a portable seems cool, even if a little fruitless, but it's also a lot of fun learning things as you go.
valid point i portablized a saturn and that was tough but alot of fun
Post automatically merged:

Because its cool?
a console without a battery loses the portability function (yeah "REEEEEAL Cool")

Compi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is perfect. I kinda always wanted a switch without a battery since I only play docked. Looking forward to this evolving even further.

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Question, Why do this?
To be able to still use your Switch even when your battery is dead and you can't replace it anymore in the future. Lithium batteries aren't standardized like normal batteries, so you may not be able to replace it one day. In other words, your Switch may not be usable over 20 years unlike your NES, SNES or N64 and removing the need for a battery fixes that problem. The consolizing part is a separate thing, but that's one possible reason to do this IMO.

WiiU-User92387

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be really cool if we could create a small "dummy battery" to install. Any chance of this happening? Something small enough to stick in the battery pack place and a wire coming out to plug it in?

fwannmacher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would be really cool if we could create a small "dummy battery" to install. Any chance of this happening? Something small enough to stick in the battery pack place and a wire coming out to plug it in?
I have tried that before and the problem is that during the booting process there is a moment where the Switch will cut dock's supply. We could be able to do that by using capacitors as pseudo battery for that brief moment I guess but it is way over my little knowledge in electronics xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game