BatchDPG taking 4+ HOURS just to do ONE DPG!!!

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Apache Thunder, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. Apache Thunder

    Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

    Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Well I need help here. I've been using BatchDPG for a while now. And just a few days ago, it suddenly started to become a giant turtle of a converter. I don't know why, but all the sudden its taking in excess of 3 or more hours just to do one movie.

    I started the conversion for one at like 5, and right now its 10pm and its only reached 52%.


    Someone please tell me whats going on here. This is just too long to convert a single video. Before this it used to be pushing out 30 minute shows in less then 15 minutes. Now it takes all day just to a 90 minute movie?

    I didn't change any settings that caused this. It just slew down on its own. I upgraded to BatchDPG 1.6, but still the same. I even reinstalled AviSynth and upgrade to the latest codec pack (I use K-Lite codec pack by the way)

    I know its not my system since all my other converters still go as fast as before and the system hasn't slowed down or anything.

    I tried converting from verious differant formats from AVI with different codecs to Mpeg1 and Mpeg2. Same slow ass conversion rate.
  2. Trolly

    Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Sep 14, 2007
    Behind you! I know you looked!
    I know you said it wasn't your system, but it could well be a lack of hard drive space, so I'd check for that?
    Otherwise, it could be loads of different problems. Generally, when I have PC troubles, I just type in the problem in Google and cross my fingers.

    FAQ page is here:
    Says if you try and use multi-core mode, it'll slow it down loads.

    Wait, that's for 1.53! Oh well, I still hope it helps.
  3. pasc

    pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

    Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    the multicore thing is still right... if you got a multicore, use this.

    Else, check:
    - remaining Harddrive Space
    - recent system changes
    - recent program installations

    and perhaps even go so far to do a system recovery.

    Hope it helps.

    EDIT: Last Tip: try copying the BatchDPG Folder to your Desktop or another folder (Desktop preferably, as is it works fine for me...) and try again.
  4. Killermech

    Killermech Cookie Monster

    Mar 5, 2004
    Check the profiles. From the sound of it, it seems you were using the Medium setting Profile(15min for 30min convert).
    High would do it in around 30-45min while Ultra would do it in about 1-2hours.

    Those times are based on what should be estimated times for your PC.
    The faster the computer, the faster the encodes.
  5. Apache Thunder

    Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

    Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    1. I have 200+GB of free space on the drive that BatchDPG is working with. So I know for sure this ain't it.

    2. BatchDPG is already being run on my Desktop. I will see if it works better if I move it to my other drive and run it from there.

    3. I don't have a dual core processor. I do have HyperThreading though. Not sure if that means anything.

    4. Profile setting seems to have no effect. Actually, for my 30 minute shows, I had it set to "High". So I guess 15min was fast for that setting? Doesn't matter now, since its slow on everything.


    Hmm for some reason my virus scanner (Avast Antivirus) is all the sudden thinking that BatchDPG 1.6 is has a Trojan. Weird, since it didn't complain about that when I first installed it. (and yes I was sure I downloaded 1.6 from a reputable source)

    Perhaps it was my virus scanner interfering, I will turn it off during the encode and see what happens.

    Also, if all else fails, I will have to do my conversions in Vista. My computer has been setup with a dual boot system of XP on the primary drive, and Vista on the secondary drive. I havn't used Vista in awhile, so it shouldn't present the same issues as it does now on XP.


    It took it only 20 minutes to reach 30%. Seems to be going at the speed I am expecting of it for a 90 minute movie. Seems Vista likes BatchDPG better then XP at the moment.
  6. jackf

    jackf Newbie

    Jul 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    is it possible that you activated some filters in ffdshow?

    if i try to reproduce this i get about 50seconds without any ffdshow filters active (batchdpg on ultra) and more then 6 minutes on medium for the same video file.

    check the ffdshow configuration (start->programs->ffdshow->Video decoder configuration)
    if there are any filters enabled try to disable them, save the profile and try to encode the file again
  7. Apache Thunder

    Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

    Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I'll try that as soon as the files I'm converting with Vista are complete. Once thats done, I'll restart back into XP and see if there is any filters active.

    And since I'm using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. ffdshow would be found in a different location on the startmenu. But I know where it is so it's irrelevant.

    Perhaps Vista does it faster because the configuration for it remained unchanged since the install of ffdshow.

    EDIT: I think I may have fixed it. It was not the filter settings. Since I checked and there was none active.

    I did however uninstall my codec pack and reinstalled a older version. Now it seems to convert at the same speed that it does on Vista. I won't really know untill I start doing the usual conversions for it, since for now I've finished my conversions on Vista.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice