Basic question about soft modding the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by rorro, Jan 4, 2015.

1. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico
    Im a complete NOOB regarding the 3DS (i have more experience with the Wii), so i have a couple of questions that i hope someone kind enough can answer for me.

I want to buy a brand new 3DS XL from bestbuy. Now, i know that its going to come with a version way past 4.5.... so:

1.- Is it possible to upgrade that brand new 3DS to a version past 9.0 that i can softmod?? Basically, im interested in playing backups from the 3DS and i dont know if its going to be possible because it needs 4.5, right?

2.- Is it possible to play backup games from the DS?

3.- Is it possible to play NES/SNES/GBA games from an emulator?

Thanks in advance.

Armadillo likes this.
  2. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

Short answer there is no PUBLIC SOFT mod for ALL retail games.
    Start here and ask in that thread.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/

3. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I got him Bug_Checker_

1. If your 3DS is LOWER than 9.0, yes. You need to buy a game that requires firmware 9.0 (NOT ANY HIGHER) and then play it once just to update your system, then you can sell it again, or keep it.

2. Not sure what you mean.. backup DS roms and backup 3DS roms require a flashcart, like gateway.

3. With Ninjhax or a flashcart, yes, it's possible.
    rorro

4. reaper527

reaper527 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    United States
    i just want to add to this, make sure that your wifi is turned off and that you don't have any pending updates (you'll see a nag screen when you turn on the system if you do). if you don't double check this, you run the risk of the console downloading/installing the newest version instead of using the update that's on the cart you loaded.

DarkFlare69 likes this.
  5. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Yeah, this too. Thanks.

6. WaterBotttle

WaterBotttle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    At the moment there is no public softmod option available. A flashcard team called "Gateway" is working on supporting firmware 9.2 and below, 9.2 is higher that (to my knowledge) all current newly bought 3DS so any picked up from the store will be fine. The update will be released *soon* if you follow the mega thread we have for it, but it will be able to play 3DS backups and potentially DS. I don't know about NES/SNES/GBA I remember something about virtual console games.