Hardware Banned Switch -> Legally Bought Games -> Forces Update -> Blocks me from updating

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally in OFW trying to update, doesnt work

Edit:

Actually, you are trying to download a game update which you said your Switch was banned for. Even if you could update your Switch firmware (which you can, from a game cart that requires a higher firmware), you will not be able to access the Eshop anyway to download the game update. You will always have access to any physical games you buy, but you lost your access to updates and DLC when you violated and then got banned from Nintendo's Servers. At no point is Nintendo blocking you from using content you buy. Since you cannot get on the eshop to buy DLC either, this still applies.

Last edited by SonyUSA,

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Screenshots and error codes please, maybe we can figure out what you are doing wrong. Also what game and what firmware are you on currently?
FW 6.1.0 E (exFat fresh installed with ChouNX with the delete all data ticked to remove my linked eShop account)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Cartridge on v1.4.0
Error Code 2110-3127 (Running a 2nd time I get the error code 2181-4008 with text: The use of online services on this console is currently restricted by Nintendo.)
tested internet connection from the switch, has a solid 20mb down and 10mb up
Updating via + button -> Software Update -> Via the Internet

Last edited by PRAGMA,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FW 6.1.0 E (exFat fresh installed with ChouNX with the delete all data ticked to remove my linked eShop account)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Cartridge on v1.4.0
Error Code 2110-3127
tested internet connection from the switch, has a solid 20mb down and 10mb up
Well the plot thickens thats a DNS error code
Update: Not sure what we can do to help. The custom avatar only made things more messier with that ban. Best thing is to just install an nsp update and play it

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: Kioku

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, you aren't locked out of the Base Game that you purchased and you never will be, you are only locked out of Updates and DLC.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Again, you aren't locked out of the Base Game that you purchased and you never will be, you are only locked out of Updates and DLC.
Yeah but I was locked out before using ChouNX to update my switch (i wasnt able to update through OFW)
After hacking an update, im now able to play, but not update

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I also bought games on the eshop...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was one of the first people to use a custom avatar m8, and yeah i dont care that im banned, im not whining about that, im whining how nintendo is forcing me out of my own content I physically paid for
You don't own your eShop games.

Reactions: SonyUSA

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If there is a day-one update required the box of the game will tell you so. So you knew beforehand it isn't going to work --> your fault and not Nintendos.

Reactions: SonyUSA

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok lets chime in seeing as I was the one who only 'hacked'' his Switch because I wanted to have digital copies of my physical games. Yeah my one gripe with Ninty is that as a collector I have to pay in full twice for a release if I want it physical and digitally and well I dont like that.

So only used personally dumped games with certs etc. Didnt do anything fancy beside of that and got superbanned (online + cdn) once that became a thing.

Before that became a thing being banned meaned very little; you could still access the CDN for updates and the like even by official means. And you could still use the eshop on a PC for purchases which would push the update to your Switch.

SInce superban; CDN became off limit and all that good stuff came to an end.

For the record; im close to 190 games counting both eshop and physical (physical is around 80 ish) so yeah I contribute to Nintendo sales for sure. But that really means jack squat to them. But all in all it's still just a console ban.
Account bans are very rare, but could happen when you do stuff with the account itself (aka inject data it should not have ... aka an avatar even)

What have I learned;
Yeah Im superbanned BUT if I want to update games, I can through a second Switch.
Just local share the game and it will push the update to the superbanned Switch.

In that process you should note; it will also update your system firmware to the latest version. (EVEN if you are on CFW)
In short; it sucks a bit Nintendo is sometimes really strict and blind to the full situation.

Regarding the legal stuff;
You want 100% clarity consult a lawyer.
My beliefs; you screw with stuff ... own up to it and take it as it is.

Im fine with my superbanned Switch really because it lets me experiment and the like. Only thing I would want is to transfer my saves over (because even that is not possible ... as it does a server check before transferring the user). And my new Switch is an ipatched one so no Checkpoint etc.

Reactions: PRAGMA

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
yeah i don't think it's a law/human right that nintendo have to give you access to the UPDATES.

-
oh i see the problem, the switch won't let you play the game with out updating.
is that really true?
Correct, like the only way I got around it was updating my whole system with ChouNX

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok lets chime in seeing as I was the one who only 'hacked'' his Switch because I wanted to have digital copies of my physical games. Yeah my one gripe with Ninty is that as a collector I have to pay in full twice for a release if I want it physical and digitally and well I dont like that.

So only used personally dumped games with certs etc. Didnt do anything fancy beside of that and got superbanned (online + cdn) once that became a thing.

Before that became a thing being banned meaned very little; you could still access the CDN for updates and the like even by official means. And you could still use the eshop on a PC for purchases which would push the update to your Switch.

SInce superban; CDN became off limit and all that good stuff came to an end.

For the record; im close to 190 games counting both eshop and physical (physical is around 80 ish) so yeah I contribute to Nintendo sales for sure. But that really means jack squat to them. But all in all it's still just a console ban.
Account bans are very rare, but could happen when you do stuff with the account itself (aka inject data it should not have ... aka an avatar even)

What have I learned;
Yeah Im superbanned BUT if I want to update games, I can through a second Switch.
Just local share the game and it will push the update to the superbanned Switch.

In that process you should note; it will also update your system firmware to the latest version. (EVEN if you are on CFW)
In short; it sucks a bit Nintendo is sometimes really strict and blind to the full situation.

Regarding the legal stuff;
You want 100% clarity consult a lawyer.
My beliefs; you screw with stuff ... own up to it and take it as it is.

Im fine with my superbanned Switch really because it lets me experiment and the like. Only thing I would want is to transfer my saves over (because even that is not possible ... as it does a server check before transferring the user). And my new Switch is an ipatched one so no Checkpoint etc.
Yo I wonder if that firmware/update local sharing could be abused in some way, doesn't sound secure at all :huh:

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hehe yeah I have been noting that but people didn't seem to care.
But it does not involve any server checks in that process it seems, like for instance transferring a user / savedata over does. It just basically works even between a superbanned (target) and an ipatched switch (source).
Actually never tried it the other way around ... but indeed who knows you might be able to do something fun that way ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One of my friends wants to do a pc wall build I'm like but you constantly complain about roaches lol