Hardware Banned Switch -> Legally Bought Games -> Forces Update -> Blocks me from updating

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the updates are stored on Nintendo's servers and they completely take away the access to those, so they would have to allow you access to it again.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had aeroplane mode on and tried to play the game, wouldn't that have worked?
No, airplane mode or offline you can still get update nags. In his case it was a mandatory update. Otherwise he could have simply ignore the nag and just play the game.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, airplane mode or offline you can still get update nags. In his case it was a mandatory update. Otherwise he could have simply ignore the update nag and just play the game.
But how would the device know there's an update if its not able to go online to check?

EDIT
I know its too late now. I meant hypothetically if he had always had aeroplane mode on and never gone online.

Last edited by Rune,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But how would the device know there's an update if its not able to go online to check?
Thats the million dollar question i think the answer to that lies within horizon it seems to know if a game has a newer update available even without the need of the internet

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats the million dollar question i think the answer to that lies within horizon it seems to know if a game has a newer update available even without the need of the internet
I was referring to the firmware update. The game itself for sure knows it needs a title update because my Switch had been offline for what seems like forever, and new NSP installed games ask me to update. Of course I can just skip the update and carry on playing anyway so this isnt an issue for me. I think if OP was completely offline like me, he'd have the same experience.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Legally, you own your material Switch and your material game cartridges. However, the software on them is not your property; it's licensed. That means legally, Nintendo can lock you out of anything if you violate any of their terms, as long as the material items are not forcibly removed from your possession. It's why Apple can lock users out of their iPhones if they violated their terms regarding screen repair, for example.
They are cartidges just saying

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referring to the firmware update. The game itself for sure knows it needs a title update because my Switch had been offline for what seems like forever, and new NSP installed games ask me to update. Of course I can just skip the update and carry on playing anyway so this isnt an issue for me. I think if OP was completely offline like me, he'd have the same experience.
It depends on the game's update tho there are updates that require the latest firmware and its very possible that it wont give you an option to ignore and play like the game becomes useless until you are on the required firm. If he had just used tinfoil it would have prevented all of this from happening. I'm assuming he didn't have a choice but to update his firm b/c if he did then why update the firmware just for a simple game update?

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hang on a second here... if the cart requires a certain firmware version, it would be ON the game card and thus installable offline. Aside from that, Nintendo bans STILL ALLOW you to update the system firmware online. I think your problem is that SX is blocking the update from happening. You need to turn off AutoRCM and boot to normal Horizon then try your update if you want to do it the proper Nintendo way.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hang on a second here... if the cart requires a certain firmware version, it would be ON the game card and thus installable offline. Aside from that, Nintendo bans STILL ALLOW you to update the system firmware online. I think your problem is that SX is blocking the update from happening. You need to turn off AutoRCM and boot to normal Horizon then try your update if you want to do it the proper Nintendo way.
Hmm if thats true then its a good thing the sxos is blocking them b/c he shouldn't be updating his games in cfw mode anyway without the use of nsp

Reactions: SonyUSA

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think the the suspect here is your custom profile picture. You're basically uploading something that shouldn't be there into their servers. (How else do people see your profile pic.) With all the shit I've done to my Switch, Nintendo hasn't touched me. Maybe because I haven't done anything that would affect the online side. I too am in the EU. Just my theory.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the the suspect here is your custom profile picture. You're basically uploading something that shouldn't be there into their servers. (How else do people see your profile pic.) With all the shit I've done to my Switch, Nintendo hasn't touched me. Maybe because I haven't done anything that would affect the online side. I too am in the EU. Just my theory.
I don't think why he's banned is the concern. He's questioning why he's not able to play a game (via cart) he's paid for.

It depends on the game's update tho there are updates that require the latest firmware and its very possible that it wont give you an option to ignore and play like the game becomes useless until you are on the required firm. If he had just used tinfoil it would have prevented all of this from happening. I'm assuming he didn't have a choice but to update his firm b/c if he did then why update the firmware just for a simple game update?
But the thing is, if the game requires a firmware update, the update will be on the cart. I think the lesson to learn here is that if you're banned, you might as well turn aeroplane mode on or use some VPN/proxy/DNS thing to block updates. Because at this point, you cant go online anyway and you're just leaving a door open for Nintendo to send you nags.

IMO Nintendo are in the right to be able to send you nags and shit. If you go online with your Switch, you're still trying to access their service for which you violated the TOS. Where Nintendo IMO are morally wrong is not letting you turn your WiFi off and remove any nags you already have. If OP has bought a cart, and the cart itself has the firmware update required for the game, he should be able to play it offline even if banned.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
You don't own the software on them, nor the software on the Switch that runs them.
Well I also bought games on the eshop...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The custom avatar is definitely what got you banned in the first place. Should have used tinfoil and install nsp updates to play the said game. This info is all over the Switch hacking community
I was one of the first people to use a custom avatar m8, and yeah i dont care that im banned, im not whining about that, im whining how nintendo is forcing me out of my own content I physically paid for

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think why he's banned is the concern. He's questioning why he's not able to play a game (via cart) he's paid for.

Ah, right. Well I'd say take it to Nintendo and complain. It's clearly against EU law. If they don't do anything about it, threatening a lawsuit may just do it since they are in the wrong.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I also bought games on the eshop...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was one of the first people to use a custom avatar m8, and yeah i dont care that im banned, im not whining about that, im whining how nintendo is forcing me out of my own content I physically paid for

They aren't forcing you out, you are doing something wrong (cfw blocking update, etc.) to prevent yourself from updating. In a normal users case, even when banned, updates can still be applied from online or from the game cart itself.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But the thing is, if the game requires a firmware update, the update will be on the cart. I think the lesson to learn here is that if you're banned, you might as well turn aeroplane mode on or use some VPN/proxy/DNS thing to block updates. Because at this point, you cant go online anyway and you're just leaving a door open for Nintendo to send you nags.

IMO Nintendo are in the right to be able to send you nags and shit. If you go online with your Switch, you're still trying to access their service for which you violated the TOS. Where Nintendo IMO are morally wrong is not letting you turn your WiFi off and remove any nags you already have. If OP has bought a cart, and the cart itself has the firmware update required for the game, he should be able to play it offline even if banned.
We don't have all the info upon the aftermath of his ban. He could be using the sxos trying to update his games which would be the culprit of why the updates are getting blocked as SonyUSA pointed out. Other than that I don't see any other reason why he cant update since even banned consoles are allowed to do so now.

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
We don't have all the info upon the aftermath of his ban. He could be using the sxos trying to update his games which would be the culprit of why the updates are getting blocked as SonyUSA pointed out. Other than that I don't see any other reason why he cant update since even banned consoles are allowed to do so now.
Literally in OFW trying to update, doesnt work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fKm3kqOmqso