Hacking Backwards Compatible Vs. Non-BC PS3

D

Dork

I don't know why people would pick a Non-BC unit + Cobra over a BC unit if they had the choice. Cobra is software emulation, the phatty PS3 is hardware emulation. The Phat PS3 also has all the memory card readers you could ever dream of.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know why people would pick a Non-BC unit + Cobra over a BC unit if they had the choice. Cobra is software emulation, the phatty PS3 is hardware emulation. The Phat PS3 also has all the memory card readers you could ever dream of.
...and most of them have inheritent cooling issues not everyone wishes to deal with, they're loud and they're high-maintenance. :tpi:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll say what I always say - playing retro games is always infinitely better on their native console, in this case the PS2. Used PS2's are dirt-cheap and you'll get perfect compatibility, plus the Slim models barely take up any space.

As far as Sony's latest PS2 Classics range, all PS3's have the same compatibility, so no worries there. Things were different with the early PS3's which contained some of the PS2's hardware, but this functionality has been cut in favour of PS2 Classics which do not take advantage of the now-latent hardware as far as I know.
Yea, get back to me when you start playing your PS2 on an actual HDTV. Heck, I'll even give the benefit of doubt and say that you got some component or RGBScart cables to plug them to the TV... then, you can come back here and apologize.

An Actual PS2 looks like trash on even a good standard TV, much less a high-def one. There is also no uniform way of enabling 480p for the games that do support it on the PS2... some will have it as an option in a menu (which it'll never save), and others will have esoteric boot-up button combinations you have to press to even get the ability to enable it at all (I'm looking at you, RE 4). GameCube was pretty simple, and the Xbox 1 did it automatically... PS2 games simply look like ass on an actual PS2. Even when comparing side by side using the same cables, playing PS2 games on a PS3 just looks better. And with multiman to help override scaling options for input-latency sensitive games, there is little reason not to play them on a PS3 if you can.

My only gripe with my CECHA in this regard is that all this software to enable such backup loading is only ever made for the neutered units, while we NAND ps3 users never see any love. It's especially frustrating for me because I have a bunch of people making me offers for my chipped PS2 and I can't get rid of it until I can put the discs in my PS3 and have them actually boot up and play.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yea, get back to me when you start playing your PS2 on an actual HDTV. Heck, I'll even give the benefit of doubt and say that you got some component or RGBScart cables to plug them to the TV... then, you can come back here and apologize.
I have and still do, although I much prefer using it with my huge CRT - pre-HD consoles work with those best.

An Actual PS2 looks like trash on even a good standard TV, much less a high-def one. There is also no uniform way of enabling 480p for the games that do support it on the PS2... some will have it as an option in a menu (which it'll never save), and others will have esoteric boot-up button combinations you have to press to even get the ability to enable it at all (I'm looking at you, RE 4). GameCube was pretty simple, and the Xbox 1 did it automatically... PS2 games simply look like ass on an actual PS2. Even when comparing side by side using the same cables, playing PS2 games on a PS3 just looks better. And with multiman to help override scaling options for input-latency sensitive games, there is little reason not to play them on a PS3 if you can.
Sure, if you love your games to look terrible. The PS3 upscales the games and even though it uses filters, they factually look worse than on the native hardware - it's been proven countless times.

The footage has been captured before filters were introduced but they don't help much - the colours are still washed out and it's still a pixelated mess.

All's relative. My Slim is mad quiet to be honest. Slims do get YLOD's, but much less frequently.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, that video was from back on firmware 1.50... maybe it's valid for you because you're still on 1.93 or somethign?

2.40 fixed all that, and games look way better, for both PS1 and PS2 on PS3... even when scaled to only just 480p via multiman.

get with the times.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yea, that video was from back on firmware 1.50... maybe it's valid for you because you're still on 1.93 or somethign?

2.40 fixed all that, and games look way better, for both PS1 and PS2 on PS3... even when scaled to only just 480p via multiman.

get with the times.
Show me a side-by-side PS3 to PS2 comparison made with a decent capture device - the burden of proof is on you here. Upscaling always screws up the graphics - apply filters all you want, it's still going to be worse than the original hardware. ;)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Show me a side-by-side PS3 to PS2 comparison made with a decent capture device - the burden of proof is on you here. Upscaling always screws up the graphics - apply filters all you want, it's still going to be worse than the original hardware. ;)
Look at when the video was made... that was around PS3's launch. They were still on 1.* firmware back then.

I fucking hate how my PS2 looks on my TV. It was even more depressing seeing the PS3 doing better when using the same cables.

I don't have to show you shit. It's documented fact. Heck, just look at the release notes for official PS3 firmwares if you don't want to believe me.

PS2 looked like ass for games even when it was new, on a CRT TV... it's even more depressing now with LCD/LED/Plasma TV's.

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country

There were no PS memory card slots though, unless you knew that and were talking about the card readers in general. I loved using them personally, that was the main thing I miss on my Slim. I kinda wish 2 of the 4 USB ports were on the back too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...