Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

Benoit934

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is under the assumption you would care about being banned. I myself do care about being banned but if I had a dollar for every GBATemp member that didn't care, I'd be able to buy the site.
I meant the CFW is dumping crash report into sdmc:/atmosphere/crash reports/DATE6TIME_TitleId.log

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant the CFW is dumping crash report into sdmc:/atmosphere/crash reports/DATE6TIME_TitleId.log
Oh you were referring to the false assumptions portion. I was moreso referring to the fact that Atmosphere is dead not when developers don't provide regular updates. Unless you're instead referring to SX OS having that feature which would also be great.

Benoit934

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh you were referring to the false assumptions portion. I was moreso referring to the fact that Atmosphere is dead not when developers don't provide regular updates. Unless you're instead referring to SX OS having that feature which would also be great.
It's Atmosphere, just saying that there is some progress that are understandable by everybody, someone managed to setup the splash screen (a built-in one and possibility to customize)

The loader is working but not yes finished (there is a lot of work here)
The TrustZone cannot yet handle correctly CPU wake up and sleep
The EmuNand isn't implemented at all
The System land is the currently most active part
The User land is waiting for the System to be stable

Maybe we would be able to have a public beta by September

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Atmosphere, just saying that there is some progress that are understandable by everybody, someone managed to setup the splash screen (a built-in one and possibility to customize)

The loader is working but not yes finished (there is a lot of work here)
The TrustZone cannot yet handle correctly CPU wake up and sleep
The EmuNand isn't implemented at all
The System land is the currently most active part
The User land is waiting for the System to be stable

Maybe we would be able to have a public beta by September
Personally, my cutoff is December because of Smash. But yes, there does appear to be a lot of work done. Last we checked, Scires was focused on debugging so he's currently not going ham with commits.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But when developers are silent is because they don't have nothing to say, it means it's dead.
ScriesM hasn't been silent though. He's stated a couple days ago it's still being worked on. People are assuming it's dead due to the small amount of commits being made on GitHub.

Again, ScriesM said he's working on squashing bugs right now which is the reason for the little activity happening on GitHub. The post imI referring to is a few pages back, I believe. I'm at work at the moment so can't dig it up for you.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ScriesM hasn't been silent though. He's stated a couple days ago it's still being worked on. People are assuming it's dead due to the small amount of commits being made on GitHub.

Again, SciesM said he's working on squashing bugs right now which is the reason for the little activity happening on GitHub. The post imI referring to is a few pages back, I believe. I'm at work at the moment so can't dig it up for you.

D

Deleted User

Honestly, the fact SciresM is on the debug phase is a good thing. It could mean we're edging closer to a release.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by snoofly,
Reactions: Solitario

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere will never come to fruition, if the developers don't start tying all the parts together. I know they are concerned about security, bans, bricks, etc., but Nintendo is winning.

I know my "two cents" doesn't matter, but if it did, I'd say... The Atmosphere devs need to start focusing and flaunting their work more. It worked very well for TX, and TX now has a fully-working OS, hardware dongle, has marketed and distributed their product, and has even supplied updates. Atmosphere has yet to show a functional CFW–only bits and pieces of an incomplete partial-project.

With that said, I think Atmosphere has the potential to undoubtedly be one of the BEST CFW/EmuNAND launchers in quite some time. But, again, they need to start showing-off a bit!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly, the fact SciresM is on the debug phase is a good thing. It could mean we're edging closer to a release.
No. You are speculating.

whoIsAndrej

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

The variable is called that, because the user has to confirm that he knows what he's doing, to load "Package2" (whatever it is) from the eMMC. When compiling, the compiler checks whether "I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING_2" is set, and if it is, it lets the Package2 to be loaded from eMMC, as opposed to a file from an SD card. If it's not set, and there is no Package2 file on the SD card, the error "Package2 must be loaded from the SD card, unless you know what you are doing!" is invoked.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere will never come to fruition, if the developers don't start tying all the parts together. I know they are concerned about security, bans, bricks, etc., but Nintendo is winning.

I know my "two cents" doesn't matter, but if it did, I'd say... The Atmosphere devs need to start focusing and flaunting their work more. It worked very well for TX, and TX now has a fully-working OS, hardware dongle, has marketed and distributed their product, and has even supplied updates. Atmosphere has yet to show a functional CFW–only bits and pieces of an incomplete partial-project.

With that said, I think Atmosphere has the potential to undoubtedly be one of the BEST CFW/EmuNAND launchers in quite some time. But, again, they need to start showing-off a bit!!
Just a thought here. One is (mostly) for profit while the other is free. ReSwitched devs don't make a dime off of Atmosphere no matter how much time or money goes into it so there is no need to advertise it. Worst-case scenario, its a secondary but free alternative to what TX is offering. And what are they offering? Well, a CFW that can load both homebrew and backups. But you have to pay for the backups. And why would I pay for the backups? Isn't that what the whole point of advertising is? In capitalist societies, don't companies waste time and money promoting their product? Outside of getting people to buy it, I certainly can't think of any other reason. To compare something that is free to something that has a profit margin doesn't make sense to me.

Again, just a thought.

Reactions: Deleted User

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do y'all think it's dead? There have been 17 commits in the last 2 days...
This.

This is why I say just observe the repo. They're busy people and some tasks take massive debugging especially at low level. If you've done C before you'd appreciate what a massive arse ache it is even to show a PNG!

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought here. One is (mostly) for profit while the other is free. ReSwitched devs don't make a dime off of Atmosphere no matter how much time or money goes into it so there is no need to advertise it. Worst-case scenario, its a secondary but free alternative to what TX is offering. And what are they offering? Well, a CFW that can load both homebrew and backups. But you have to pay for the backups. And why would I pay for the backups? Isn't that what the whole point of advertising is? In capitalist societies, don't companies waste time and money promoting their product? Outside of getting people to buy it, I certainly can't think of any other reason. To compare something that is free to something that has a profit margin doesn't make sense to me.

Again, just a thought.

People promote free things all the time—especially online. Hell, 99.999% of homebrew is free and people post that shit all over. Just look at my sig; it's old Wii stuff, and I'm still promoting it. Taking pride in your work, or someone else's, doesn't always need to be for profit. I've offered and promoted my graphic design work to the homebrew scene for many years...some is still used in the releases. I have not financially profited off any of it.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere has yet to show a functional CFW–only bits and pieces of an incomplete partial-project.

I'm unconcerned. I'm not going anywhere, and Atmosphere's receiving active dev work. Why would I worry about promotion when I haven't even released a build that I provide support for? Atmosphere's already pretty feature-rich, as evidenced by the number of people using Hekate to launch it. The sticking point at present is just booting it.

Things'll get done as they get done, and that'll be as soon as they can. People who are desperate to stay up to date with updates can always just read the #cfw-development channel in ReSwitched's discord, where I talk about what I'm working on pretty much every day. I don't really think it's necessary to provide push updates, so to speak, when anyone who wants them can listen in.

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unconcerned. I'm not going anywhere, and Atmosphere's receiving active dev work. Why would I worry about promotion when I haven't even released a build that I provide support for? Atmosphere's already pretty feature-rich, as evidenced by the number of people using Hekate to launch it. The sticking point at present is just booting it.

Things'll get done as they get done, and that'll be as soon as they can. People who are desperate to stay up to date with updates can always just read the #cfw-development channel in ReSwitched's discord, where I talk about what I'm working on pretty much every day. I don't really think it's necessary to provide push updates, so to speak, when anyone who wants them can listen in.
Unfortunately not everyone is as philosophical as you but hopefully this will quieten down the naysayers for a while.

I've always said just keep an eye on the commits. It's pretty interesting stuff going in. And you learn from reading the diffs

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere will never come to fruition
It's open-source, how do you figure?

If ScriesM or ReSwitched (for some unforseen reason) doesn't release Atmosphere someone else with the coding capabilities will.

An example is freeShop for the 3DS. The original dev got in trouble, went to jail and everyone thought that project was dead. It's still going last I checked(two or three devs later mind you). That's the beauty of open-source.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People promote free things all the time—especially online. Hell, 99.999% of homebrew is free and people post that shit all over. Just look at my sig; it's old Wii stuff, and I'm still promoting it. Taking pride in your work, or someone else's, doesn't always need to be for profit. I've offered and promoted my graphic design work to the homebrew scene for many years...some is still used in the releases. I have not financially profited off any of it.
I already knew you were referring to differences in how much the devs care about exerting their pride in their work. Although most of us can agree that ReSwitched is more focused on finishing their work than promoting it, that would be putting words in their mouth. I hope you now understand that there are more important things than being first or advertising your product.

rad.i.kal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

everyone wants to complain, no one wants to help, i wish you could. You do good work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...