Gaming ASUS Express Gate with USB Wifi adapters

Kyusuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got myself a ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard along with the rest for a new computer I built and shortly after messing around with Express Gate, I realised it only gave me the option of choosing onboard devices to connect to the internet, which there is one LAN port. Connecting the LAN port to the router is out of the question since it's on different floors (with another computer being connected to the router there) and there isn't any option to use any external USB wifi adapters, nothing about providing linux drivers or providing ndiswrapper so I could use windows drivers.

So I'm wondering if it is actually possible if a external USB wifi adapter is supported on Express Gate as it'll be nice if I can use the internet within a few seconds of turning the computer on, cheers.

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
err wht router do u have? does the router come with an wifi usb adaptor?
netgear_WN111_usb_wifi_wireless_network_adapter.gif

like that ^^
if yes, there should be a wifi adaptor disk included with the router, just put the cd in ur pc and install it
and then plug ur wifi adaptor it whould work

Kyusuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice but you don't understand me fully, what you said would have only applied to Windows but what I would like to use it with is a Linux distribution, so it isn't really as simple as putting in a CD into the PC and installing it I'm afraid.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's looking like it'll only work for those that came with integrated WiFi. I'm reading up on it and it says that it's stored in a ROM flash, which means you can't configure it i.e. install drivers and such.

Just to note, he's talking about a SplashTop Linux distribution that comes on ASUS motherboards. It's an integrated OS that's on the board itself. I think it stored in a ROM flash.

Kyusuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since I'm using a P5Q Pro and apparently a 'cheaper' P5Q model, Express Gate is installed on the HDD rather than a ROM flash (in order to cut costs most likely) so I 'should' be able to modify settings or allow the use of extra drivers. If it's meant for on-board devices then all I could hope for is an update that would allow the use of external devices.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem is there's zero documentation on the SplashTop distribution. They don't have any wiki or help for adding packages, etc. It might be possible, but you'll basically have to wait until they make it public. I'm thinking you might even be able to change the distribution all together using other distributions that appear for netbooks. The best bet right now would be to bug ASUS about making stuff for it public. Like I said though, it looks like an extremely bare kernel that has only drivers for ASUS products namely those that are built onto the board itself.

Kyusuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would, but since I'm going to university soon I rather not bother. I'm not that desperate to use Express Gate so I'll save on the £27 and see if ASUS provides an update to it, thanks though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER