Assassin's Creed IV for WII-U will get no DLC

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IT KEEPS HAPPENING

http://nintendoeverything.com/deus-...irectors-cut-costs-quite-a-bit-more-on-wii-u/

"I never asked for this," protested Wii U owners everywhere.

That is... that's... wow. So in Square Enix's mind, somehow they think "well, we never released it on this platform, let's charge more!" is justifiable?

Calling it now. The game doesn't sell, Square Enix comes up with an excuse that... the consumers aren't interested in those types of AAA games, so they drop support.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Watch_Dogs on my PS3 for the superior versions

The PS3/X360(not sure if Wii U too) will cut off content and also I read about poor framerates on some situations, PS4 version is the superior version for the extra content that the others version will lack and for the graphics like shown on the videos. Wii U version could be nice if they do a good work with the gamepad integration though.

On 3DS, eShop itself doesn't support DLC. Take Fire Emblem for example, DLC is purchase through game rather than eShop. I think the infrastructure simply isn't there, and it probably ain't worth the effort to develop it especially if other platforms can do it but not eShop. Not to mention that Wii U has significantly less userbase than PS3 and Xbox 360.
The userbase part is ok, Wii U has a long road to go until has as many users as PS360. but in the eShop part I have to mention that many games have DLC downloadable directly through the eShop, for third party examples you can take Shin Megami Tensei 4 and FF Theathrim.

The thing is that Ubisoft is being inconsistent saying that is gonna support Wii U and on the next day announcing that Wii U versions of their games will be inferior, and the only ones to blame are the users?? I think that developers need to get to work and release a EXCLUSIVE(this part is vital) killerapp for Wii U to generate interest and get more people buy a Wii U. if they go and release a game that is multiplatform the people obviously will buy the version for the console they already own, that's common sense.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3/X360(not sure if Wii U too) will cut off content and also I read about poor framerates on some situations, PS4 version is the superior version for the extra content that the others version will lack and for the graphics like shown on the videos. Wii U version could be nice if they do a good work with the gamepad integration though.

The userbase part is ok, Wii U has a long road to go until has as many users as PS360. but in the eShop part I have to mention that many games have DLC downloadable directly through the eShop, for third party examples you can take Shin Megami Tensei 4 and FF Theathrim.

The thing is that Ubisoft is being inconsistent saying that is gonna support Wii U and on the next day announcing that Wii U versions of their games will be inferior, and the only ones to blame are the users?? I think that developers need to get to work and release a EXCLUSIVE(this part is vital) killerapp for Wii U to generate interest and get more people buy a Wii U. if they go and release a game that is multiplatform the people obviously will buy the version for the console they already own, that's common sense.
whats more is that if there is a chance they own more than one console they will get the best version for that game... and if at the very moment they announce the game for any console yet they say "this will be the crappiest version of all" people wont get that version regardless the console, the only one to to blame for low sales are the third party themselves.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I would not be surprised in the slightest to learn the DLC market on the Wii U is less than healthy, however that is the exact situation I would have expected Ubisoft to wander into Nintendo's office and say "make us an offer". Still I can see saying "forget it" instead.

I am sure there is a market on the Wii U, however the sample size from which one could gauge the interest level is quite small. Regardless, most DLC is either tacked on garbage to give the game more play time or it's intentionally left out of the game in order to gouge consumers as much as possible. I am not really concerned about an average game not getting mediocre content.

JPSimonetti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the falling out between Electronic Arts and Nintendo not (at least partly) based on Nintendo having a stance against being able to utilize microtransactions in-game or something of the sort? I remember reading that as "one side of the story" back in the day. EA got their panties in a bunch about not being able to constantly push advertisements in your face to buy new addon items the whole time you were playing ?

I haven't even turned on my Wii U in the last 4 months, but I never saw any DLC's or microtransactions mentioned in the games I did own.The closest I saw was in Lego City Undercover, how a certain vending machine said you could enter codes from tangible Lego playsets for on-disc bonuses to be unlocked.

Also, since it wasn't clarified, the Wii U supports pretty much unlimited storage via an external hard drive (sold seperately). I have a 1tb drive on mine and I get digital copies of every game that gives the option. So storage space is not an issue or a valid excuse.

I have been in wait-and-see mode for a long time as to whether or not the Wii U was the right choice. But my kid loves it. And Lego City Undercover was so awesome even my wife played it. Assassins Creed 3 was fine for the most part, but a Quick Save feature would have made getting 100% infinitely less frustrating. I faintly recall some slowdown in large crowds, like someone mentioned, but not enough to leave a lasting impression or disrupt gameplay. This was also before all the patches started rolling out, which maybe have optimized those issues.

I made an account just to mention that since no one else did. Been lurking forever.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the falling out between Electronic Arts and Nintendo not (at least partly) based on Nintendo having a stance against being able to utilize microtransactions in-game or something of the sort? I remember reading that as "one side of the story" back in the day. EA got their panties in a bunch about not being able to constantly push advertisements in your face to buy new addon items the whole time you were playing ?

I haven't even turned on my Wii U in the last 4 months, but I never saw any DLC's or microtransactions mentioned in the games I did own.The closest I saw was in Lego City Undercover, how a certain vending machine said you could enter codes from tangible Lego playsets for on-disc bonuses to be unlocked.

Also, since it wasn't clarified, the Wii U supports pretty much unlimited storage via an external hard drive (sold seperately). I have a 1tb drive on mine and I get digital copies of every game that gives the option. So storage space is not an issue or a valid excuse.

I have been in wait-and-see mode for a long time as to whether or not the Wii U was the right choice. But my kid loves it. And Lego City Undercover was so awesome even my wife played it. Assassins Creed 3 was fine for the most part, but a Quick Save feature would have made getting 100% infinitely less frustrating. I faintly recall some slowdown in large crowds, like someone mentioned, but not enough to leave a lasting impression or disrupt gameplay. This was also before all the patches started rolling out, which maybe have optimized those issues.

I made an account just to mention that since no one else did. Been lurking forever.

This, a thousand times this. QFMFT.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, yeah it is.

Unfortunately, developers can't assume that all Wii U owners are taking advantage of that feature. They have to develop with the lowest storage option in mind or risk potentially alienating a huge chunk of their audience.

This was a huge problem for the Xbox 360 at the beginning of its lifespan, as one of the models came with no hard drive whatsoever. Developers had to design around this huge limitation, and some games suffered for it. It's only now, at the very end of the console's life, are we seeing developers including mandatory installs (and even then, it's still pretty rare).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, yeah it is.

Unfortunately, developers can't assume that all Wii U owners are taking advantage of that feature. They have to develop with the lowest storage option in mind or risk potentially alienating a huge chunk of their audience.

This was a huge problem for the Xbox 360 at the beginning of its lifespan, as one of the models came with no hard drive whatsoever. Developers had to design around this huge limitation, and some games suffered for it. It's only now, at the very end of the console's life, are we seeing developers including mandatory installs (and even then, it's still pretty rare).
Yeah, but we're talking about optional DLC here. "Some people might have a full internal hard drive and no external one! Let's not give anyone DLC!" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially if they do release patches for games. If you're talking about mandatory installs though, I can understand devs wouldn't do that.

JPSimonetti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree. My one nitpick is that the type of people who buy DLC and/or games that utilize it, are generally the type of people who would know their space limitations and have their external hard drive ready to go. (500gb+ really should have just been included with the system in this day and age, and we all know it.)

The Sims 4 is a great example of what happens when you push software to the lowest system specs based on your targeted market. It's a damn joke. Graphically, It's Sims 3 with shaders, because they were afraid to even offer the option for high-end graphics because people with ancient systems would whine about not being able to use them.

I personally think that's a horrible business model. You should always present every option to cover your entire userbase, even if you take a minor loss on profit vs. time from that particular feature. Alienating your userbase that CAN utilize those features will cause consumers to turn their backs on you regarding future releases.

Reactions: Gahars

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone has an external hard drive ready and on hand. Out of my gamer friends I'm the only one with an external and I got it for video production.

If you don't have a hard drive that's probably an extra $100 to your system cost because Nintendo didn't include it. Mind you for the same price as a Wii U I can get a 250GB PS3 with a shit load of goodies. It's miserable storage size and no matter what way you spin it, including such a minuscule hard drive in today's digital age is an absolute joke. I mean the PSP Go had the same hard drive space as the fucking Wii U Basic for crying out loud.

Right now on the market the Wii U is stuck with being the most expensive console and with the smallest hard drive space. At least for $100 more you get the PS4 which has a much larger hard drive and better specs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Because he knows what he did