Assassin's Creed IV for WII-U will get no DLC

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a demand for DLC on the Wii U? Because if there's no demand, then the game developers can save that much work by not releasing it. They can go on and concentrate on their other AAA titles that need 2 years to make.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a Wii-U but I couldn't care less about DLC in general.
For me, DLC is never worth the money.
When I buy DLC I usually end up feeling like it was overpriced for the little content I was getting.
I think the only exception for me is Rock Band DLC.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On 3DS, eShop itself doesn't support DLC. Take Fire Emblem for example, DLC is purchase through game rather than eShop. I think the infrastructure simply isn't there, and it probably ain't worth the effort to develop it especially if other platforms can do it but not eShop. Not to mention that Wii U has significantly less userbase than PS3 and Xbox 360.
It is there, more or less. Once you choose to actually purchase something in that game, an eShop purchase and download window appears. The only thing that doesn't seem to be there in firmware/eShop support is a way to browse through DLCs that are available, but that didn't stop Square Enix with Final Fantasy Theathrythm, so it's possible for third party devs as well.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's already DLC for Assassin's Creed 3, Injustice, Splinter Cell and some other games. It's not an issue with the infrastructure.
Now, are those actual DLC, in terms of new levels and content which are exclusive to the original content (Borderlands 2, Bethesda games, Dark Souls, etc.) or are they DLC that unlocks content already in-game (which requires nothing as it's already there but merely restricted).

D

Deleted_171835

Now, are those actual DLC, in terms of new levels and content which are exclusive to the original content (Borderlands 2, Bethesda games, Dark Souls, etc.) or are they DLC that unlocks content already in-game (which requires nothing as it's already there but merely restricted).

Actual DLC.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I just don't get it why the Wii U isn't getting DLC.
Is it cause of the space of the Wii U?
The makers need to pay for the DLC to be on ninty server?
Or just lazy?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're just being trolls. If they want to truly support Nintendo and their console, DLC shouldn't be an issue.
Though there is probably something to the do not reply to trolls logic.. there is a difference between throwing a dog a bone and cutting off your arm to give the dog a bone.

Or just lazy?

That is what we are trying to figure out here, sadly the sources for the OP give no further info.

It could be that Nintendo is charging too much to release it.
It could be that Nintendo is posing too many restrictions.
It could be that projected sales for the effort needed to port the DLC is less than Ubisoft's people say is worth investing and the dev time could be better spend on a potentially more lucrative project.
It could be that Sony and MS have things in place that would then make it troublesome for Ubisoft to comply with them and do for Nintendo (MS is known to have "your games can not be inferior to our competition on our system" clauses).
It could be that Ubisoft is attempting to hurt Nintendo a bit so they come back and say "why don't you make us something".

It could be some combination of any of those in varying amounts.

Reactions: gamefan5

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or just lazy?

Honestly, my opinion is that there still isn't a big install base on the WiiU, and it's not like everybody will go out and buy the game. I'm sure once more consoles are sold, developers will start caring, or more games are being sold. But honestly, as sad as it is, if the developers/publishers aren't going to try, it might as well be the customers who break the cycle.

For example, this year I'll be getting Batman, CoD Ghosts, (maybe AC), Watch_Dogs on my PS3 for the superior versions, but I'll get them on the WiiU to support the console and just try and show developers that people will buy their games.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Honestly, my opinion is that there still isn't a big install base on the WiiU, and it's not like everybody will go out and buy the game. I'm sure once more consoles are sold, developers will start caring, or more games are being sold. But honestly, as sad as it is, if the developers/publishers aren't going to try, it might as well be the customers who break the cycle.

For example, this year I'll be getting Batman, CoD Ghosts, (maybe AC), Watch_Dogs on my PS3 for the superior versions, but I'll get them on the WiiU to support the console and just try and show developers that people will buy their games.

The reason why there's no DLC will make the game fail on Wii U.
I mean why not more content? I'd rather get it for PS360 than for Wii U just cause of that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how that actually plays out in the stats. Though I doubt they will connect you up (give or take a "huh, this IP has both versions") I would be surprised if both sales went in the unequivocal win column.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder how that actually plays out in the stats. Though I doubt they will connect you up (give or take a "huh, this IP has both versions") I would be surprised if both sales went in the unequivocal win column.

I'm sure they distinguish them somehow. Whether or not it's through IP (well... I guess it would have to be, how else could you do it right?). But to be honest, I've just gotten tired of all this stuff of developers saying they'll support WiiU, but then they end up not, or gimp up ports. I don't really buy DLC at all, so playing CoD Ghosts (as an example) will give me the same experience on WiiU as if I was to buy it on PS3.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On 3DS, eShop itself doesn't support DLC. Take Fire Emblem for example, DLC is purchase through game rather than eShop. I think the infrastructure simply isn't there, and it probably ain't worth the effort to develop it especially if other platforms can do it but not eShop. Not to mention that Wii U has significantly less userbase than PS3 and Xbox 360.

Actually, this is incorrect. All DLC purchasing is through the eShop. It's just ingame instead. I think you can actually view the DLC in the actual eShop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...