Hacking Asking for system update when using non-backup game disc

Mature Lamb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, and yes I have tried searching on google and the forums. Anyways, when I insert my real copy of SSBB into my softmodded PAL Wii, it asks me to update my system. I'm scared that I might brick my Wii. It has never asked me to update before when I inserted the disc when my Wii was still a virgin. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I'm also using Wii System Menu 4.2 btw

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The most common way around this is to install Preloader and use the "skip disc update check" hack.

Installing disc updates *usually* won't hurt you, but it's a good idea to read up and determine what the update changes. Often it will include only a new version of an IOS with compatibility fixes (I believe the Brawl disc updates the IOS for better dual-layer handling), although some discs (and only a few) have system menu updates. Sometimes the updated IOS will be necessary to play the game correctly, but keeping your IOSes up-to-date will make this unnecessary anyway.

Mature Lamb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into installing Preloader. This doesn't only happen with Brawl, it happens with all my other games too which have never asked me to update before (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Guitar Hero: World Tour)

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
Mature Lamb said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into installing Preloader. This doesn't only happen with Brawl, it happens with all my other games too which have never asked me to update before (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Guitar Hero: World Tour)

this means you have some ios missing, if you update through the disk it will only install the missing ios

flame6753

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.flame-ex.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, stop telling this guy to update. He can install missing Ios's manually. The only thing he'll end up with is a BRRRRIIIICK!
smile.gif

flame6753

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.flame-ex.com
XP
Country
United States
Even though it is a higher version, depending on what Ios's he already has, that doesn't stop these particular games from bricking the console. your train of thought is correct, so usually I wouldn't even think twice to update those old ios files. But I've seen quite a few people complain of brawl bricking their console when they were on 3.4, and brawl installs 3.2 ios. So, I suggest he install them manually through ios updater.

Mature Lamb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey again guys, I looked into using Preloader but it looked pretty scary.. anyone know how I can find out what IOS's I am missing?

Mature Lamb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of Preloader I used Startpatch for 4.2E PAL to block disc updates, but when I insert my actual games and load them through the disc channel, it still asks to perform a system update. Any ideas?
frown.gif

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flame6753 said:
Even though it is a higher version, depending on what Ios's he already has, that doesn't stop these particular games from bricking the console. your train of thought is correct, so usually I wouldn't even think twice to update those old ios files. But I've seen quite a few people complain of brawl bricking their console when they were on 3.4, and brawl installs 3.2 ios. So, I suggest he install them manually through ios updater.

Facepalm

Mature Lamb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So nothing's working so far.. and I've tried to update some of my IOS's using DOP-IOS. Should I just take the risk and blame you all if my Wii bricks?
tongue.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Mature Lamb said:
So nothing's working so far.. and I've tried to update some of my IOS's using DOP-IOS. Should I just take the risk and blame you all if my Wii bricks?
tongue.gif

You can:
-Install Preloader, and apply the "Skip-Disc Update" Hack
-Install Startpatch, and apply the "Skip-Disc-Update" Hack (ALL Parts!)
-Run every game trough GeckoOS, it will skip the Update
-Use DOP-IOS and install/update all your IOS

Do one of these, or leave it. If you are afraid of a brick, have you ever tried to install BootMii as boot v2 (and only boot v2!!!)? If not, try it. If it works, make a Backup, and then you can mess with your Wii. If not, well...Preloader would be the next thing for having something to restore. But it isn't that safe as BootMii.

QUOTE(The-Magician @ Oct 14 2009, 05:09 PM) On that i also am trying to find an answer.
DOP-IOS shows you what IOS you have installed and which version. Realy neat app, have a look at it.

The-Magician

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Blue-K said:
The-Magician said:
On that i also am trying to find an answer.
DOP-IOS shows you what IOS you have installed and which version. Realy neat app, have a look at it.

Ok, but how do you know what ios your game needs to be played ?

QUOTE(jabmaster2 @ Oct 14 2009, 06:03 PM)
Just run the game through gecko os. It'll will install missing ios without messing up ur system.

That part i found, but how when you install your games on HDD. Doing it like this you still have to burn them?
Or do I miss seeing something here.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The-Magician said:
Ok, but how do you know what ios your game needs to be played ?

That part i found, but how when you install your games on HDD. Doing it like this you still have to burn them?
Or do I miss seeing something here.

1. There are lists for that. I believe Wiihacks.com was already mentioned, a quick Google search should turn something up. For SSBB, it's probably IOS36.

2. If you install it on your hard drive and use a USB loader it omits the update sector anyway, so you'll never get this message with a USB loader. Disc loaders often (but not always) skip the update check by default as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario