KiC

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The text is embedded into a scripting language with 142 opcodes, including several kind of branches. No good place to start, and not really possible to reverse engineer without debugging.

Lord Prime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Then i guess i have to ask kaioshin to let me help them, cause he hands out scripts to his translators.

If he permits me, I hope i might speed it up a bit.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Lord Prime said:
Then i guess i have to ask kaioshin to let me help them, cause he hands out scripts to his translators.

If he permits me, I hope i might speed it up a bit.
I doubt you'd understand even if KaioShin explained it to you, go find another game to translate.

Lord Prime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I doubt you'd understand even if KaioShin explained it to you, go find another game to translate.
OK, im going back to my cave now... My dark, dark, cave....
ph34r.gif

No, i wont try to hack it myself, i would like to help them translate it.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Lord Prime said:
QUOTE said:
OK, im going back to my cave now... My dark, dark, cave....
ph34r.gif

No, i wont try to hack it myself, i would like to help them translate it.
They won't need your help unless you're fluent in Japanese.By fluent I don't mean going to google translate
tongue.gif

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
why don't you help me with Summon Night 2?
Darthnemesis already made me a nice tool for the script dumps and insertions. and basically all i have left to do is translate a ton of graphics...well...if you want to learn how to do the hacking itself, then i guess moving tiles in circles for an hour and a half is not such a great idea...
if you want to learn how to romhack, i would definitely not suggest wasting your time copying and pasting text from one file to another. that won't teach you to romhack. that will teach you how to press ctrl+c, alt+tab, ctrl+v faster than anything human.
in my, newbish opinion, i think it would be best for you to look at the translation requests thread, find something easy to hack, and then start a project. people here are really nice and helpful and you will definitely learn a lot from them. either that, or join a project and hope the project owner is nice enough to take you under his/her wing and teach you the hidden secrets of romhacking...
good luck.

HernanZh

Trophies
Website
www.heigames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
boojumz said:
why don't you help me with Summon Night 2?
Darthnemesis already made me a nice tool for the script dumps and insertions.
Well, since Darthnemesis already wrote a tool for you, there's not so much left to learn.
lecture.gif
Though you do get a slave for copying and pasting XD
Sersiously though, if you have zero experience/knowledge for romhacking, I suggest you read this: http://www.romhacking.net/start/

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ boojumz
what would help in the actual learning process is to ask darthnemesis (if he answers) of how the file was built, and how he used it in his program.
each byte in the header (usually a group of bytes) are always something. For instance, the .mass files of avalon code has a header with
MASS magic stamp (4 byte)
# of files actually inside the mass file (4 byte)
File information repeated (28 byte)
Actual files (the rest)
These stuff are required for a program to be built. So to actually learn, asking darthnemesis of how the file was built, and what each byte mean will be helpful in learning. And it's always good to try to try to figure the headers out yourself.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
@ boojumz
what would help in the actual learning process is to ask darthnemesis (if he answers) of how the file was built, and how he used it in his program.
boojumz wanted help with the graphics, not the text, but here's the source code anyway: SummonTrans 0.2 src

boojumz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
oh wow, thanks...i had been trying to write somehting up similar to your tool, but it was kinda getting annoying looking at the java api every other minute...(the only coding i usually do is problem solving...)
thanks darth, i'll study this stuff and see if i get how you made it.

@psycoblaster
i know i'm still new at this which is why i chose to study the rom and understand exactly what needed to be done for the pointers and headers and everything. the only problem i was having was i couldn't figure out how to incorporate it into a program...

anyway, thanks everyone!

Lord Prime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oooooh, i want to be a slave, but i have so much work to do, my project hasn't even been touched in 3 weeks.

And that project would be useless unless you speak a specific dialect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol