But if you got a legit moltres that was caught on XY then i'll trade for it

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sharing a header make it no longer private...
If you use someone else header, there's no certitude that header is really private and given to you only. The user could provide his dumped header to multiple users and tell you he doesn't or will never do it.

Providing a private header to someone else is like banning yourself if it's an online game, as you won't be able to connect online without knowing if the user you gave the header to is not currently using it online.

It has nothing to do with being nice or not.
If a user want to be nice by locking himself from online and you trust him enough that he won't use the header even for himself and throw/destroy his cartridge just for you, then yes there are nice people.

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even think you can post that request here

I'm not sure if you can post it here but I know they can be shared here (seen them in some downloads)

Pretty sure Cyan would of locked it if the header file was copyrighted

genetic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was a way to get a private header on n3ds. I bought and been playing smash bros online on my 9.5 n3ds. I just got a sky3ds card and love it. But wish there was a way to apply my header to some other games id like to try online, like mh4u or Mario kart. I guess I'll have to invest in a o3ds eventually...

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He aint got a gateway compatible 3ds

I wish there was a way to get a private header on n3ds. I bought and been playing smash bros online on my 9.5 n3ds. I just got a sky3ds card and love it. But wish there was a way to apply my header to some other games id like to try online, like mh4u or Mario kart. I guess I'll have to invest in a o3ds eventually...
You can dump your own header if you got your n3ds on 9.2 or under

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you can post it here but I know they can be shared here (seen them in some downloads)

Pretty sure Cyan would of locked it if the header file was copyrighted

It's part of the game, thus it IS copyrighted.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, it's not part of the game but of the cartridge.
it's added to the game's data when dumping with Gateway menu along with Chipset ID, manufacturer ID and Chipset size because they need those informations to encrypt savegame and access online.
It could have been stored on external file but they chose to insert it into the ROM header instead.

I don't know how much it can be copyrighted, as it's not a fixed data, it's not a common/private key used to decrypt the ROMs or console's files (don't start debate on common key legality, please). It's used only by the savegame, which their content disposition and files could be copyrighted, if it's not a simple bit field to store progress.
can a random string be copyrighted?

It could be a random generated string, it could be tied to the game (which is probably not the case because using it for other games is working fine), it could be re-used by different games (we didn't dump and share enough IDs to know if it's redundant or really unique), it could be a random string encrypted or with a checsum, it could be the game name or GameID encrypted.
If we can't tell the Game title or GameID that would be very bad for all video game websites.

I agree that it's sort of a key to access a feature (the way it's used by Gateway makes it a key for online) and that could be considered part of the game as being tied to the cartridge-game. I just don't know if copyright apply to random 16 bytes.

nobody tried to decrypt the header with internal AES functions?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
you d be better off finding a friend in your area with a 9.2<= 3ds to dump your cart with.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Asking for a private header no longer makes it private. It becomes public after more than one person uses it.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
can a random string be copyrighted?
You tell me. I posted the Wii U common key for everyone to see a while ago and my thread got deleted.
I'm fairly certain that somewhere out there some binary exists that has the same bytes in it.
There's a thousand and one tools on this forum that all have keys included with them and/or contain partial copyrighted code, but that's all okay it seems.
Gateway includes a FIRM binary with each of their releases instead of just patching the offsets on-the-fly, thus being copyright infringement, and a link to their website is on your front page.
What about firmware updates for any DS card FPGA? They typically use a banner and strings from an official game. And they are built with Nintendo's official SDK.
You can even take it a bit further and say that the design of flashcarts as a whole infringes Nintendo's patents on game cartridges.
Sometimes people really need to remember this is GBATemp, a website where enthusiasts that like to fuck around with their systems come together, share ideas, files and new discoveries.
Imho, as long as you're not sharing any software you have to PAY for you're not hurting any manufacturer/publisher and they have absolutely no reason to target you. I'd be more worried about the crapton of updates about flashcards posted which encourages people to buy them than a few stupid keys.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dunno. I know posting a random string of bytes is enough to get you into some pretty good boiling water around here though.
People are stupid, random Strings aren't "copyright" especially such short and random ones. It has no mental value. May someone show me a law where it says private encryption keys are intellectual property. I want to see that :)

If people are hacking already why do they respect Nintendo's everything so much? Man up, pussies...

Reactions: DarkKaine
D

Deleted-19228

People are stupid, random Strings aren't "copyright" especially such short and random ones. It has no mental value. May someone show me a law where it says private encryption keys are intellectual property. I want to see that :)

If people are hacking already why do they respect Nintendo's everything so much? Man up, pussies...

Encryption keys are IP. Geohot vs. Sony proved this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a picteof not updating just tell them don't update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...