Asking for a private header

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aliogeek, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliogeek
    OP

Aliogeek Member

Mar 29, 2013
    France
    Please dont beg, its against the rules -The Bortz

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I don't see this happening. The people here aren't very nice:cry:

But if you got a legit moltres that was caught on XY then i'll trade for it

3. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    I don't even think you can post that request here

4. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    You live in the US and you cannot find a used 3ds game in the bargin bin at GS for $3?

Random Joe likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Sharing a header make it no longer private...
    If you use someone else header, there's no certitude that header is really private and given to you only. The user could provide his dumped header to multiple users and tell you he doesn't or will never do it.

Providing a private header to someone else is like banning yourself if it's an online game, as you won't be able to connect online without knowing if the user you gave the header to is not currently using it online.

It has nothing to do with being nice or not.
    If a user want to be nice by locking himself from online and you trust him enough that he won't use the header even for himself and throw/destroy his cartridge just for you, then yes there are nice people.

sup3rgh0st likes this.
  6. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I'm not sure if you can post it here but I know they can be shared here (seen them in some downloads)

Pretty sure Cyan would of locked it if the header file was copyrighted

7. joepassive

joepassive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    Iceland
  8. genetic

genetic Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    I wish there was a way to get a private header on n3ds. I bought and been playing smash bros online on my 9.5 n3ds. I just got a sky3ds card and love it. But wish there was a way to apply my header to some other games id like to try online, like mh4u or Mario kart. I guess I'll have to invest in a o3ds eventually...

9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    He aint got a gateway compatible 3ds

You can dump your own header if you got your n3ds on 9.2 or under

10. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States

It's part of the game, thus it IS copyrighted.

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Actually, it's not part of the game but of the cartridge.
    it's added to the game's data when dumping with Gateway menu along with Chipset ID, manufacturer ID and Chipset size because they need those informations to encrypt savegame and access online.
    It could have been stored on external file but they chose to insert it into the ROM header instead.

I don't know how much it can be copyrighted, as it's not a fixed data, it's not a common/private key used to decrypt the ROMs or console's files (don't start debate on common key legality, please). It's used only by the savegame, which their content disposition and files could be copyrighted, if it's not a simple bit field to store progress.
    can a random string be copyrighted?

It could be a random generated string, it could be tied to the game (which is probably not the case because using it for other games is working fine), it could be re-used by different games (we didn't dump and share enough IDs to know if it's redundant or really unique), it could be a random string encrypted or with a checsum, it could be the game name or GameID encrypted.
    If we can't tell the Game title or GameID that would be very bad for all video game websites.

I agree that it's sort of a key to access a feature (the way it's used by Gateway makes it a key for online) and that could be considered part of the game as being tied to the cartridge-game. I just don't know if copyright apply to random 16 bytes.

nobody tried to decrypt the header with internal AES functions?

Sicklyboy and jrebey like this.
  12. Aliogeek
    OP

Aliogeek Member

Mar 29, 2013
    France
    I'm always looking for a header, i promise i use it only for myself !
    Send me in PM, thanks...

13. Don21

Don21 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Zuid Holland
    Im sure you can find a 3ds game for very cheap like 5 dollars. Sorry only have 1 game:D

14. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    you d be better off finding a friend in your area with a 9.2<= 3ds to dump your cart with.

15. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Asking for a private header no longer makes it private. It becomes public after more than one person uses it.

16. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    You tell me. I posted the Wii U common key for everyone to see a while ago and my thread got deleted.
    I'm fairly certain that somewhere out there some binary exists that has the same bytes in it.
    There's a thousand and one tools on this forum that all have keys included with them and/or contain partial copyrighted code, but that's all okay it seems.
    Gateway includes a FIRM binary with each of their releases instead of just patching the offsets on-the-fly, thus being copyright infringement, and a link to their website is on your front page.
    What about firmware updates for any DS card FPGA? They typically use a banner and strings from an official game. And they are built with Nintendo's official SDK.
    You can even take it a bit further and say that the design of flashcarts as a whole infringes Nintendo's patents on game cartridges.
    Sometimes people really need to remember this is GBATemp, a website where enthusiasts that like to fuck around with their systems come together, share ideas, files and new discoveries.
    Imho, as long as you're not sharing any software you have to PAY for you're not hurting any manufacturer/publisher and they have absolutely no reason to target you. I'd be more worried about the crapton of updates about flashcards posted which encourages people to buy them than a few stupid keys.

17. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    I dunno. I know posting a random string of bytes is enough to get you into some pretty good boiling water around here though.

18. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    People are stupid, random Strings aren't "copyright" especially such short and random ones. It has no mental value. May someone show me a law where it says private encryption keys are intellectual property. I want to see that :)

If people are hacking already why do they respect Nintendo's everything so much? Man up, pussies...

DarkKaine likes this.
  19. Aliogeek
    OP

Aliogeek Member

Mar 29, 2013
    France
  20. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

Encryption keys are IP. Geohot vs. Sony proved this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.