Status
Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can try to justify it all you want, it's still wrong and disrespectful to distribute someone's work without their permission and I don't think we should allow it.
I am not saying this beta should never see the light of day, but it still shouldn't be released like this.

Reactions: 2 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
You can try to justify it all you want, it's still wrong and disrespectful to distribute someone's work without their permission and I don't think we should allow it.
I am not saying this beta should never see the light of day, but it still shouldn't be released like this.

Corrected that for you.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can try to justify it all you want, it's still wrong and disrespectful to destructible someone's work without their permission and I don't think we should allow it.
Numerous works would never see the light of day if we were to always follow such strict rules - what about every single work of any creator ever that was released post-mortem? You can't exactly ask the dead for permission and sometimes the family just didn't care or could not be contacted.

A deadline needs to be set - if the creators do not respond, screw it, people would literally kill for this patch. Better yet, try and improve it - perhaps if contact is established, some light may be shed on the tools and techniques used, you never know.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Corrected that for you.
Thank you, damn spell check always misleading me.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have been waiting some time for this to happen since blaster and his team stopped talking about it. Nice to know it didn't take 5-12 years like some other things. Though I do fall on the side that the people that worked on it should be told about it, still nothing is stopping it now.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can try to justify it all you want, it's still wrong and disrespectful to destructible someone's work without their permission and I don't think we should allow it.
Numerous works would never see the light of day if we were to always follow such strict rules - what about every single work of any creator ever that was released post-mortem? You can't exactly ask the dead for permission and sometimes the family just didn't care or could not be contacted.

A deadline needs to be set - if the creators do not respond, screw it, people would literally kill for this patch. Better yet, try and improve it - perhaps if contact is established, some light may be shed on the tools and techniques used, you never know.
You surely can not justify that in such a manor?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You surely can not justify that in such a manner?
I sure can simply because it makes sense. If the author of a useful application cannot be reached by any means, the application should be distributed while reserving the right of pulling the plug on further distribution if the creator surfaces and wishes so. It's really simple and rather victimless.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

You surely can not justify that in such a manor?
Why not?? The Geist Force project on Assembler has been going for over a year now and people donated to get there copies of the game professionally printed. The original creators didn't have a say in anything , but it went to a great cause. They are going to build a memorial for Gunpei Yokoi for the donations they got to release this game. We obviously can't do that with this considering it was already out before I posted the topic, but still, there's nothing wrong. Foxi is right, you're wrong.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He found it, it's his choice.

The file should stay there until (if) the author contacts the staff - pretty simple.

If they're still online, surely they lurk GBATemp.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I sure can simply because it makes sense. If the author of a useful application cannot be reached by any means, the application should be distributed while reserving the right of pulling the plug on further distribution if the creator surfaces and wishes so. It's really simple and rather victimless.
And what if they didn't want it released? We should respect their project and really wait for them to give the ok for releasing it instead of just assuming they aren't around or won't care.

qwsed

Trophies
XP
Country
I respect the hard work of the team and all its members. But it seems one of the beta-testers (who else?) decided to share it to someone and then it just spiraled out from there. Its better for the anticipators to get the game when the projects have been "dead" for 2-3 years. And i know its not that long of a time, but it is strange that a game that made it to beta abruptly ended like that. And say what you will, he had beta-testers and that should have saved most work but the editor-programs.

I'll rather have it this way than not at all.

We'll just have to wait for the response of someone in the translation-crew. The damage is done and the patched rom is out. Spreading as wildfire.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And what if they didn't want it released? We should respect their project and really wait for them to give the ok for releasing it instead of just assuming they aren't around or won't care.
If they answered and didn't want it released - bam, it's not released. If they didn't answer, the patch got released and then they answered - bam, the patch goes offline. It's not rocket science.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If they answered and didn't want it released - bam, it's not released. If they didn't answer, the patch got released and then they answered - bam, the patch goes offline. It's not rocket science.
It still doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't be distributing the file now.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But you did not mention that a week is a good amount of time to wait. Honestly if they weren't every active to begin with, a week isn't a good amount of time to wait for them.
How long would you wait? I'm willing to bet that they're notified about blog posts via e-mail, better yet, e-mail them directly. If they won't check the post within a week's time, it's their fault. Besides, they still have their rights for the patch reserved and they can take it off if they feel like it, what's more to ask for?

I think the deal is fair, but if you think it isn't then let's say "a month".

EDIT: I'll be honest with you, I went through the same crap - I had a demo posted on one of the programming sites I frequent simply to get some tips and all of a sudden the demo was posted here without contacting me at all when it wasn't by no means prepared for public distribution. Sure, I got pissed at first but people actually liked what they saw and it was sort of an encouragement. I had the option of having it removed but I chose not to use it - it wasn't that much of a big deal and in fact, I wouldn't mind at all if I were previously asked about it. Even if I were to reply later than within a generous deadline, I'd appreciate asking alone.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It still doesn't change the fact that we shouldn't be distributing the file now.
Now, yes, we probably shouldn't. After a week from notifying the creators - we could. I thought I expressed my opinion thoroughly, you even Like'd it. :D
But you did not mention that a week is a good amount of time to wait. Honestly if they weren't very active to begin with, a week isn't a good amount of time to wait for them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have waited over a month to hear back from several indie game developers to upload their files because they requested to be emailed before mirroring their work.
Respect is one of the most important things to me and distributing someone's work like this is not showing them nor their work respect.
Check the Edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1