Art asset for 'Yoshi's Island 64' discovered, preservationists tease more to come

s.png

In 1997, Yoshi's Story was released for the Nintendo 64. However, that wasn't always the name of the game--in early development, it was titled Yoshi's Island 64. And now you can see what things might have looked like, had that original name stuck, as the game preservationist group Forest of Illusion has unearthed an art asset early on in the game's development. According to the team, this file came from a "large lot of raw Nintendo promotional art assets", with Forest of Illusion teasing that they have even more things to show off. While we don't exactly know what it is the group is teasing, they claim the project will take a while, with hopes that it'll be completed by the end of the year.

:arrow: Source

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
story was one if the most disappointing games on the n64 (horribly easy? 6 levels per playthrough? Finish a stage by eating 30 fruit? Who thought these were good ideas???)
Is no one going to mention the excruciatingly difficult "all melons" challenge?

They were evidently going in a different direction.

Reactions: MushGuy

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is no one going to mention the excruciatingly difficult "all melons" challenge?

They were evidently going in a different direction.

This is what I tried when I played the game myself. Only one stage was too difficult to get all 30 melons, the one with the long jump in the sky where you had to keep fluttering.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree @eyeliner

Where the "dead" Nintendo game series are (Wario Land, Star Fox, F-Zero, Punch-Out, etc...)??

WarioWare i won't count as "dead" since it got a Switch game (WarioWare: Get It Together!).
Yes, but think he is talking about an actual Wario platformer, like the Warioland games on the gameboy, gamecube and Wii.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad they changed the name because associating yoshi's story with yoshi's Island tarnishes it's good name, story was one if the most disappointing games on the n64 (horribly easy? 6 levels per playthrough? Finish a stage by eating 30 fruit? Who thought these were good ideas???)
You're right, Yoshi's Story doesn't come anywhere close to living up as a sequel to Yoshi's Island which I guess would be the main reason for the name change. It always felt like little more than a tech demo to me.

NotEthanHobbes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yoshi and other Nintendo I.P. have so much potenial but Nintendo only thinks about Mario.

Nintendo be like:-

View attachment 301532
I loved that video when I was younger… but yeah, F-Zero and Starfox especially. I really want those series to get like a reboot or something new at all, really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, hey thats my line +1