Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I also agree with thegame07. I have used a DSLinker in testing for my reviews and I had no problems with it at all. I even recommend the card to beginners as it's so simple to use. Yes, it doesn't have many advanced features, but what it does it does well.

- Sam

Edit: Typo

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ok, I just had the same issue as the original poster and I finally worked out what happened and how to avoid it.

It's basically what Elbega said. When you save a game then turn off your DS, that save is retained in the SRAM as you all know. For some reason, some DS Linkers have a tendancy to either lose or corrupt this save after a period of time. If this happens, when you turn it on and boot it up, it's backing up an empty/corrupt save game which is why you have to start from the beginning of your game again. Just turning it on again straight after you turn it off to back up the save likely would work - if the DS Linker didn't insist to backup that SRAM on every damn bootup (preferred behaviour would be to only back up once). Which means when you turn it on later the SRAM is likely to have died by then, and it then overwrites your good save backup with the bad one.

The way to avoid: just turn your DS straight back on again after you turn it off (after playing a game) and let it back up your save. Then what you must do is start (boot) either a placeholder game that you don't intend to play (or one that has no saving whatsoever) or some sort of homebrew application (I use DSPad or DSKey that comes with the OS) . After that you can turn off your DS and leave it off.

Alternatively you can set FORCEBACKUP=0, then turn on your DS as soon as you turn it off just like above, then select the game you were just playing and press Start. This way the save won't ever overwrite the previous one unless you tell it to - just be sure you don't press Start again later on.

This is quite an annoying issue, and be the problem battery or not, I think we should at least contact the people behind the OS to see if they can change some of the saving behaviour. My EZ4 uses a battery with SRAM, and has not had one problem since I got it a year ago - save games can stay in the SRAM perfectly fine for days or weeks.

What I would suggest people do is use the SRAM/battery testing application at http://www.dslinker.com

groovysan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks everybody! You've all been a big help - disagreements notwithstanding - and when I've finally got some time tomorrow to sit down at my computer for more than a few minutes I'll let you know how it goes.

May you all sleep soundly tonight/tomorrow, knowing that you've made a frustrated gamer a little less frustrated!

groovysan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I ran the battery test thing, and I think the red text means my battery is dead? So, my battery is dead. Great.

... I suppose I could still make use out of it as a PassMe. Anybody recommend a super-cheap Slot 2 solution?

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the DSLinker uses a Capacitor not a battery. You could easily order a replacement but getting the DSLinker open is impossible. The SuperCard Rumble is the cheapest slot 2 for DS, although the Lite is better since you can do homebrew and it has the extra RAM. I hope things work out for you my friend.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought my little brother a N-Card. Will this be a problem with the N-Card?The DS-Linker is a clone of the N-Card isn't?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought my little brother a N-Card. Will this be a problem with the N-Card?The DS-Linker is a clone of the N-Card isn't?

yes its a clone of the N card. i have used the N card for around 4 months now and its still going fine... hey fifthelement i have seen you around a few sites
biggrin.gif
Fifthelement do you know if the n-card and its clones use the same hardware or do some have cheaper parts inside because i see this happening more with the ds linker.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really think you should read here. Especially if you own an N-Card clone due to a new virus being passed around.

EDIT: Nope, they are the the same, DSLinker, Neo MK5, Express Card, DS Fire Link, N-Card, and two other off "off" brands. I have reviewed many of them and they are all the same. They are great cards just for DS games but they have some software issues that need attention.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
looks like mines is safe
grog.gif
i have the latest avg update installed and i ran a scan and there was no threats found lets hope the virus is just a rumour.

smalldeadman

Trophies
XP
Country
emmm same for me, i had got one for a fiend and that works well, all saves work, but mine WIll not save formated, so i belive it is a battry issue but mine saves,(i can see it on pc) but the ds linker does not seem to load them so, could it be a ram isue within the memory chip.???

On the sav checker it could not find the CHIP not the battry THE WHOLE F**ING CHIP DO NOT BUY IT IS RUBBISH,

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
anyone know if the new firmware helps? version 139.
It does in a way, because the save only gets backed up once per play instead of every time you boot up your cart - so to keep your saves, all you need to do is turn it on again as fast as possible after turning it off (after playing). Your save will then be backed up and will not be overwritten until next time you run the same game.

Oh, and there's none of this 6 slot save system that was causing separate issues as well.

hippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
damnit i cant get the new firmware working, but i noticed that if i delete the lastsave from the DSYSTEM folder, it will load one of my backup save files that i put on. damnit anyone with any ideas of how to make it save? i tried the quick turn off/on didnt work it just rewrites a corrupt lastsave.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Could some people's save issues be caused by not selecting the correct save file format for games that aren't in the DS Linker database yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: