Are you going to buy the 3DS now?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by tagzard, Jul 29, 2011.

Jul 29, 2011
  1. tagzard
    OP

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Well many of you heard that there is a PRICE but!!! And many people didn't buy it because it cost so much. Well now for all of those who didn't buy it. Are you going to buy it now? I will. But on ebay for 100 bucks. How about you?

2. matt1freek

Member matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I held off not due to the price but because a zelda game i've already beat several times does not make it worth it.
    Maybe once Cave Story and Shin Megami Tensei are out.... kinda lame i wont be getting those gba and nes games though. Nice incentive i think.
    This price drop, slow sales and the rumours about Iwata and other exec's taking pay cuts... damn do we have another virtual boy on our hands? perhaps Iwata will end up going the way of Gunpei

3. tagzard
    OP

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    I'm just waiting for a hack.

4. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    1) Try typing in proper English.
    2) I think I'd rather get the exclusive DLC than the $80 price cut.
    3) Unfortunately, with or without the price cut, the 3DS is not within my budget right now.

5. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i got the money for it but i dont need it , ds is still churning out good games , devil survivor 2 as opposed to a slight remake of the first one - id rather still play ds , 20 random games will not do it for me and the price drop still is not enough - i would rather buy a dsixl over it

6. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Nope.avi

7. gabe119

Newcomer gabe119 Newbie

United States
    Can I buy a 3DS today, register it and then price match it when the price drop happens, do I get 20 free games?

8. RoyalCardMan

Member RoyalCardMan DS App Studio™ Developer

United States
    Well, it wasn't the price that caused people not to buy the handheld. Once cause expectation. People that the 3D on this console was going to amaze everyone, but then people just found out how it looked.

Also, there haven't been many game titles for the Nintendo 3DS, which really stunk, which also was caused by so many cancelations that occured.

I am thinking about buying one, but I just don't really think it is worth the money they are asking for.

EDIT: And if you want to get into the argument of "Oh, people have to many expectations", guess what, people had the right to. Nintendo did a very common mistake, which was make the advertizment more appealing than the actual product itself.

9. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    If I'm going to get a low battery handheld, I will go with the one that offers the most power and is less gimmicky. The PSVita seems to be more powerful than the 3DS, has a capacitive touchscreen that supports multi touch. The 3DS is a pimped up DS. With 3D. Which is a gimmick IMO. Even with the price cut, the 3DS simply has no appeal. I would rather pay more and get more with the PSVita.

10. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Yes

11. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Are people still calling 3d a gimmick while saying the gimmick of another product isn't a gimmick. I mean come on dude. Give me a break.

We might as well start at the beginning and say, adding that extra button to the NES controller was a gimmick and say adding stereo sound, is a gimmick, adding four more buttons to the SNES controller, a gimmick, oh and what? its 16bit, thats a gimmick. Oh hey let's add HD support to the PS3 and 7.1 surround sound, of shit more gimmicks, and guess what those unique features you mentioned about the PSVita, capactive touchscreen with multi touch support, is a gimmick.

By definition all of these things are gimmicks. Get your head out of your ass and get some fresh air.

12. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Still not that interested tbh...

13. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Amen.

Also, yeah, I'll pick one up now.

14. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    At this point in time it is a gimmick, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. Gimmicks can be good, and in this case it is.

15. _elf_

Newcomer _elf_ Member

Portugal
    I agrey 100% with you. All the new little features in a system are a gimmick. But all of them help in a new experience. In my honest oppinion at least the Nintendo 3DS bring a new "gimmick" [​IMG] but thats just me.

16. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    why comment on the first line of the post? read the the rest of the post and then comment. Obviously i wasn't saying any of those things were bad things or that gimmicks are bad things or that its not a gimmick. By definition any unique feature or quirk that is advertised is a gimmick. Just opening some eyes to the double standards a lot of people live by.

17. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Even though the price cut is supposed to be on August 12th, it sounds like my local gamestation has already cut the prices to £129.99 (my bro didn't specify if that was the new or used price, but I'm guessing used)

If any retailers decide to do the price cut early, you'd better buy one now so you can get the freebie downloads too!

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    The reason was because that's all I wanted to object to. I find that part of your post rather...contradictory to the rest. At that point you say it as if it were a bad thing, like you're mad because people call it a gimmick, which it is, while later you are justifying it, which is rather odd...

19. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    You the guy from the gimmicks. YOU ARE MY HERO! I love the 3D effect! It's very useful also.

20. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    If you really want to go balls crazy about the gimmick crap, then you can say the same about the PSV.

Better graphics? Gimmick.
    Rear touchpad? Gimmick.
    Touchscreen? Gimmick.
    Dual analogs? Gimmick.
    Bigger screen? Gimmick.

And, of course, the same with the 3DS.

Better graphics? Gimmick.
    Touch screen? Gimmick.
    Two screens? Gimmick.
    3D? SUPER Gimmick.
    Stylus? Gimmick.

So just shut up about goddamn gimmicks. I will play both because they look fun. So fuck me for riding the gimmick train, eh?