Gaming Are YOU getting Metroid Other M?

Are YOU getting Metroid Other M?

• HELL YEA! I'M BUYING IT CAUSE IT'S GONNA BE THAT GOOD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks cool, but I think I'm gonna download it

• I'll consider wasting my bandwidth to download it...

• No.

• Total voters

sa1amandra

Gazzaro Launching!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its a side-scroller! NO! Its a first person shooter! NO! Its a third person shooter! NO! Then what is it? Beauty.

Man I am pumped for Metroid Other M. If anyone can mush three different game styles into one, its Team Ninja!

Are YOU getting this game?

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I think this is going to be the dark hoarse of the trilogy (besides metroid prime pinball of course) I just wish the big N create an awsome side scroller for DS and not a mediocre fps.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah, I don't get the supposed hate ---
Because they switched voice actors your not going to buy it
Because it's side scrolling your not going to buy it
Because it uses the wiimote ONLY your not going to buy it.
Because you can switch to 3D (such as SPM?) your not going to buy it.

What other reasons? If your really that picky, should you be a gamer?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a feeling that its one of those 7.5/10 sort of games and I'm usually right about these things. I want it to be amazing but I just think it'll be good but nothing great.

tenkai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant wait for this game looks really good and samus finally talks!!!
yaywii.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
I'm getting a feeling that its one of those 7.5 sort of games. I want it to be amazing but I just think it'll be good but nothing great.

That's kinda how I feel too. I have two main problems - the first being that, from what we have seen, we don't collect our items (other than energy tanks / missile expansions) - we just don't use them until we get to a certain level and the general tells us to. That kinda takes the fun out of a Metroid title. Second, I fear for the gameplay - it looks like it's going to control like a Sega Saturn game - the only way around that would be to....well...auto target everything - and that's just button mashing.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
dlf said:
If your really that picky, should you be a gamer?
Yes. That is why we have so many genres, and even within each genre some games do things very differently.

"You mean you AREN'T going to watch sex in the city!?! What kind of movie fan of you!?" DYS?

Never been a big fan of metroid games myself, but monkats statement that it "looks like it controls like a saturn game" has piqued my interest.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Gaydrian said:
I'm getting a feeling that its one of those 7.5 sort of games. I want it to be amazing but I just think it'll be good but nothing great.

That's kinda how I feel too. I have two main problems - the first being that, from what we have seen, we don't collect our items (other than energy tanks / missile expansions) - we just don't use them until we get to a certain level and the general tells us to. That kinda takes the fun out of a Metroid title. Second, I fear for the gameplay - it looks like it's going to control like a Sega Saturn game - the only way around that would be to....well...auto target everything - and that's just button mashing.
Controls are going to be the worst part of it from what I've read. Should really have an option to use analogue, the Wii D-pad isn't great for these games.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dlf said:
Hell yeah, I don't get the supposed hate ---
Because they switched voice actors your not going to buy it
Because it's side scrolling your not going to buy it
Because it uses the wiimote ONLY your not going to buy it.
Because you can switch to 3D (such as SPM?) your not going to buy it.

What other reasons? If your really that picky, should you be a gamer?
I just plain don't care for metroid XD

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
I am a sucker for Metroid from the NES days so this won't be any different! Hopefully Team Ninja do a great job!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sputnix said:
I think this is going to be the dark hoarse of the trilogy (besides metroid prime pinball of course) I just wish the big N create an awsome side scroller for DS and not a mediocre fps.

Other M has Nothing to do with the Prime trilogy. It takes place right after Super Metroid.

"Watching the trailers, they've successfully killed off anything remotely metroid-ey."

You know this is what everybody said when Prime 1 was released?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
monkat said:
Gaydrian said:

Where did you get this info? You haven't played it yet did you?
I haven't seen any item collection yet.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hielkenator said:
sputnix said:

Other M has Nothing to do with the Prime trilogy. It takes place right after Super Metroid.

"Watching the trailers, they've successfully killed off anything remotely metroid-ey."

You know this is what everybody said when Prime 1 was released?
Prime 1 wasn't a metroidvania game, didn't have the feel of one. Retro studios worked their magic and made it good, however.
Other M was supposed to have metroidvania elements.

Retro should have never lost the franchise
frown.gif

at least Donkey Kong Country looks good

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Gaydrian said:

Not true. The reason people think there isn't going to be exploration and item collection in this game is actually pretty ridiculous. Way back when the game was first being demoed, it was reported by a few sites that for the section of the game being demoed, Adam of the Galactic Federation would 'authorize' certain weapons, instead of you as the player being able to find them. 

Somehow, games journalists got the idea that that's what the whole game was to be like, and many reported it as such. You know how games journalism works, after all. One site posts something, and then every single other site or mag or whatever copies it practically verbatim, sometimes losing or fudging crucial details in the process. Well, that's what happened here.

Since then, I recall at least one interview where Sakamoto had clarified and stated that that mechanic only applied for the first part of the game, but I can't remember what site it was on. 

Watching the E3 demo, though, it's made obvious that it's only a temporary game mechanic by the way it's handled (every time 'Adam' authorizes something, he does it during a cutscene by talking to Samus. It appears as though its purpose is two fold - to limit what weapons you can use up to that point, and to solidify Adam's place in the eyes of the player as a competent and high-ranking officer, someone who Samus actually yeilds to.) Adam isn't always going to be there with Samus, which makes it easy to assume that the gameplay mechanic isn't going to be persistent through the entire game. Nevermind the fact that in almost every single interview I've read so far, Sakamoto guaranteed that Metroid would not be losing it's spirit, and that there would still be the same level of exploration, the same sense that you're building Samus up and becoming unstoppable throughout. Heck, half of the interviews and an entire Iwata Asks segment concentrate on the relationship between Team Ninja and Nintendo, and specifically, how Team Ninja has been able to successfully (in their own eyes, at least) fuse the elements of a high-paced action game with the Metroid formula without having to sacrifice either.
Folks need to lurk GoNintendo moar. As much as I dislike how laughably detached from reality some of their commenters are, it's indisputably the best place to find interviews and junk about Nintendo games. There's at least a dozen seperate interviews with Sakamoto linked from there. 

QUOTE(Antoligy @ Aug 3 2010, 11:16 AM)
Other M was supposed to have metroidvania elements.
I'm pretty sure it still does.

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played the demo at comic-con and it just made me want the game even more my pre-order is fully paid off but if the game gets leaked early i will download it but also pick up my copy from gamestop.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It looks pretty fun, but i'm only getting it if it's difficult (it looks like it'd be fun if difficult, or brutally boring if easy). So i'll wait while others play it before I do.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm definitely going to get it!
It will be a great game. First day purchase!
biggrin.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Man, I was stoked for this game until I read about your guys' worries. Now I'm worried!

You all make good points about not making it seem Metroid-y and whatnot. And to be honest, I don't think it's going to be. This is Team Ninja we're talkin' here. If you've played any of their games, you already know what to expect. Their games have always been known for their fast-paced, holy-friggin'-crap action. They'll more than likely pull it off and still make it awesome, but it probably won't be the very akin to the older 2D games.

Heck, it's still not out yet, so I could be completely wrong. We ALL could be. But that's what I think so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up