Hacking Are you buying the Acekard 2i when the DSi releases this March?

KennYMcCormick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Already have a DSi, but waiting for the Acekard2i
yaynds.gif

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, it'll really depend on how well the Acekard 2i tolerates firmware upgrades. The Lite suits me just fine, so I'm not gonna plop down another 200 bucks for a new system and cart just to have Nintendo kill it in one fell swoop.

And the whole March release isn't confirmed... just IGN hearsay, it could very well be into June or July before actually see an American DSi. I bet June, to stay in line with the DS Lite.

Besides, didn't you know Reggie has to milk the unknowing American public for all it's worth before DSi comes out?

solarsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not gonna buy a dsi when it comes out here. I'm waiting for a slight price drop and colors besides black and white. I wish they'd just sell them with colors to begin with but once I get a dsi yes I'll be having an acekard 2i in the mail or in my hands.

AeroHex

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
i think nintendo will release a firmware update to stop it before it gets to the us/au so it would be pre-flashed so no more ak2i
mad.gif

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Currently no flashcard can access the DSi features or run DSi games, access the SD slot, DSiWare, access the cameras, etc. The problem is, the DS is hard coded so that when you place in a normal DS game (Well, non encrypted and digitally signed DSi game) which includes flashcarts, the games run under a DS compatibility mode which will either need a hardware mod or custom firmware to bypass which restricts the DS game to only what is available on a normal DS. This means that normal DS games and flashcarts will not be able to access the new DSi extra features.

Now a custom firmware is currently not possible until some one manages to break the encryption and digital signatures that the Nintendo uses for their firmware, DSiWare and DSi games. The firmware on the Nintendo DS was only protected by hardware which could be easily bypassed by using a paper clip which allows the firmware to be over written. With the DSi, the firmware is updateable via WiFi as well as through DSi games though it is digitally signed and encrypted with a very strong encryption which will not be easy to crack.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will most likely not even get a DSi and even if I did by then there will be other options so why should I pledge my willingness to buy a product when I will have other options when the time comes.

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hm....you guys have a point. Nintendo could block the Ak2i from running on it with a firmware update rendering it useless.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't have to be nintendo. i used AK4.11 loader as an "alternate loader" in AKAIO running on DSi, and that usage rendered my AK2i unusable on a DSi (but fine on standard DS).

So all it takes is any ROM or program run wrong to disable the whole "boot hack" Acekard uses to get it running on the DSi.
Any game company, homebrew programmer, etc. can render this card useless on a DSi.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll see in March
tongue.gif

I will want to buy a flashcard for the DSi, so if there are no other choices AK2i will be it... If there are other choices I will see if they are actually any better than the AK2i and make a choice.

Of course that is assuming the European DSi release won't be 6 months after everywhere else... which it probably will be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Metal tapes even