Are you buying the Acekard 2i when the DSi releases this March?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Link5084, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Since it'll probably be the only DSi flashcart on the market for a long time, I'm definitely buying it

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It'd be better to make this a poll.

3. Knarf

Member Knarf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've already got a AceKard 2i (In the mail) so now All i need is the DSi. My phat DS isn't working for me.

4. KennYMcCormick

Newcomer KennYMcCormick Member

France
    Already have a DSi, but waiting for the Acekard2i [​IMG]

5. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For me, it'll really depend on how well the Acekard 2i tolerates firmware upgrades. The Lite suits me just fine, so I'm not gonna plop down another 200 bucks for a new system and cart just to have Nintendo kill it in one fell swoop.

And the whole March release isn't confirmed... just IGN hearsay, it could very well be into June or July before actually see an American DSi. I bet June, to stay in line with the DS Lite.

Besides, didn't you know Reggie has to milk the unknowing American public for all it's worth before DSi comes out?

6. solarsun

Newcomer solarsun Member

United States
    I'm not gonna buy a dsi when it comes out here. I'm waiting for a slight price drop and colors besides black and white. I wish they'd just sell them with colors to begin with but once I get a dsi yes I'll be having an acekard 2i in the mail or in my hands.

7. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    i think nintendo will release a firmware update to stop it before it gets to the us/au so it would be pre-flashed so no more ak2i [​IMG]

8. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'll be getting a release date DSi, and then hold off on a flashcart for it until more information is known.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
  10. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
  11. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I won't be buying a DSi on release, but I probably will pick it up eventually.
    As for the AK2i, I will see what happens. See what firmware updates bring. The only other team working on a DSi cart (That has announced it) is Team Cyclops, but their CycloDSi will probably be about 4x the cost of the AK2i. So, if things stay the way they are, AK2i for me.

12. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Yeah Ill pick it up eventually when it releases and just wait to see what happens.. [​IMG]

13. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Currently no flashcard can access the DSi features or run DSi games, access the SD slot, DSiWare, access the cameras, etc. The problem is, the DS is hard coded so that when you place in a normal DS game (Well, non encrypted and digitally signed DSi game) which includes flashcarts, the games run under a DS compatibility mode which will either need a hardware mod or custom firmware to bypass which restricts the DS game to only what is available on a normal DS. This means that normal DS games and flashcarts will not be able to access the new DSi extra features.

Now a custom firmware is currently not possible until some one manages to break the encryption and digital signatures that the Nintendo uses for their firmware, DSiWare and DSi games. The firmware on the Nintendo DS was only protected by hardware which could be easily bypassed by using a paper clip which allows the firmware to be over written. With the DSi, the firmware is updateable via WiFi as well as through DSi games though it is digitally signed and encrypted with a very strong encryption which will not be easy to crack.

14. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    So the Dsi is really being released in march in the U.S.A.?

15. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    i wouldn't buy the AK2i. Not so long as any ROM can potentially render it unusable in a DSi and, at worst, unusable in any DS.

16. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I will most likely not even get a DSi and even if I did by then there will be other options so why should I pledge my willingness to buy a product when I will have other options when the time comes.

17. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Hm....you guys have a point. Nintendo could block the Ak2i from running on it with a firmware update rendering it useless.

18. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    it doesn't have to be nintendo. i used AK4.11 loader as an "alternate loader" in AKAIO running on DSi, and that usage rendered my AK2i unusable on a DSi (but fine on standard DS).

So all it takes is any ROM or program run wrong to disable the whole "boot hack" Acekard uses to get it running on the DSi.
    Any game company, homebrew programmer, etc. can render this card useless on a DSi.

19. dagreenone

Newcomer dagreenone Advanced Member

United States
    No, I quite happy with my DS lite at the moment.

20. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    I'll see in March [​IMG]

I will want to buy a flashcard for the DSi, so if there are no other choices AK2i will be it... If there are other choices I will see if they are actually any better than the AK2i and make a choice.

Of course that is assuming the European DSi release won't be 6 months after everywhere else... which it probably will be.