Hacking Are wii with bootmii as boot 2 rare?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're pretty rare. Any Wii produced after 2008 (and some produced during 2008) is unlikely to have a vulnerable boot2. You shouldn't go to that much trouble trying to get one, however. Functionally, there's no need for a Wii with a vulnerable boot2. While it offers extra brick protection, there isn't anything else these Wii systems can do that other comparable models cannot.

aidotato5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The model Wiis that have GameCube controller and memory card ports can run bootmii as boot 2.

So, if you want, just find one of those Wiis and install BootMii as boot2 yourself using Letterbomb.

(This is correct, right? This is what I remember, haven't checked about Wii stuff in a while)

Nevermind, look at @Lacius's post.

Last edited by aidotato5,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well then, I must've been lucky then.

Sorry about that/
You're right, however, that all boot2-vulnerable Wii systems will have GameCube ports, since they were the only ones in production at the time of the vulnerable boot2. However, not all Wii systems with GameCube ports have a vulnerable boot2. The date of production is the best/only way to assess the likelihood of a vulnerable boot2.

Reactions: aidotato5

LiLCruz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there are plenty of Wii systems with GameCube ports that don't have a vulnerable boot2. See my post above about the dates of production.
They're pretty rare. Any Wii produced after 2008 (and some produced during 2008) is unlikely to have a vulnerable boot2. You shouldn't go to that much trouble trying to get one, however. Functionally, there's no need for a Wii with a vulnerable boot2. While it offers extra brick protection, there isn't anything else these Wii systems can do that other comparable models cannot.
Yeah but I prefer them for some reason any way find one by serial number?

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying find these wii's any idea how can get one these wii's.

Normally the Wii's with Boot2 are rare since only boot2 Wii's were produced in from the first day they came out to late 2007 - 2008 and so on. You won't exactly need a Wii like that unless you plan on modding a bunch of things on it such as IOS's below 200.

I set up my Wii fully to give it all hacking features except Bootmii as Boot2. You won't really need it as long as your smart and can fix a Wii using logic, know what to do, and so on. That is if you do not know what to do you could always research or ask for help.

So far the only bricks I have gotten were Theme Bricks but those were easy to fix. I haven't had any other bricks.
Edit: An accurate price to buy one of them would be either $60 USD - $90 USD compared to a Wii without it being $50 USD.

Last edited by petethepug,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Best way to find one is to ask the people selling it if they bought it at launch or in 2007.
Telling by serial number is an option but isn't really accurate.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but I prefer them for some reason any way find one by serial number?
I remember reading conflicting posts about serial numbers back in the early bootmii days. Apparently, serial numbers are an indication of whether or not a Wii has a vulnerable boot2, but it's not a perfect indication. I suggest searching around Google or GBATemp for data on Wii serial numbers. I recommend you start here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/bootmii-boot2-wii-serial-numbers.205180/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended