Hacking Are we going to have a perfect 3DS flashcart near OoT release?

Will we?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oceanborn712 said:
Chrono Trigger had been released 13 years ago at the time it was released. The DS remake exposed younger player to a great game they couldn't have played legally without buying a really old console. OoT had TWO releases on GameCube and one on the Wii's Virtual Console. That's 3 releases that can already be played on the current hardware. (Also, OoT had 4 releases, not 3 as I said before)
CT only came out in 1995, that was just 16 years ago. Also, it had a PSX release that could be played on the PS2 and early PS3s. There's no excuse.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sangui said:
Seraph said:
Rydian said:
How the fuck are we supposed to know?
This and what the fuck!? Buy the fucking remake of the greatest game of all time (at least for most).
I own it already in more than one format, why would i waste 40 more dollars on a game I already own?
Cause you know, all those versions you own of which there were only two, and one was a really lousy port with terrible frame rates, have improved graphics and all of them include Master Quest and the possibility of online features...

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Sangui said:
Seraph said:
Rydian said:
How the fuck are we supposed to know?
This and what the fuck!? Buy the fucking remake of the greatest game of all time (at least for most).
I own it already in more than one format, why would i waste 40 more dollars on a game I already own?
To tell Nintendo that you'll still buy their games when they don't try.
Oh, I'm sure they didn't try when they added in new textures/animations/scenes/whatever else we don't know about. Because those don't require any work. Haters just love hating don't they?

Z

Zorua

Why the hell do you want to ruin your shiny new 3DS with pirated software? If you love the game so much, buy it!

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:
Logically, you can't expect a flashcart any time soon. Why? Because piracy was absolutely rampant on the DS, and Nintendo was aware and quite well hurt. They most likely spent gratuitous amount of manpower to ensure that a similar scenario does not happen for what they described as their "main foundation for the next 5 years."

Absolutely this.
There is no way in hell Nintendo want their system to become the current pirate-your-heart-out-for-$10 DS-
1) Look at the way they've been persecuting people who are making/using/selling flashcarts: they're suing them. Tell me that that's the sign of a happy company.
2) The "they still earn money from their console" argument doesn't fit: the DS basically had no competition for the majority of it's lifetime as the PSP basically died young. It sort of makes sense that Nintendo would allow piracy as developers would be willing to overlook this piracy for a huge slice of the market. But now Nintendo faces competition from Sony again and if piracy appears the devs will just flock to the other side, leaving Nintendo for dead. Yeah, that's a great business strategy huh?
3) Is there any real reason for Nintendo not to spend a lot of time and money on security for their system? There are plenty of reasons why they would (eg: good image with publishers==more sales of licenses==more games==higher console sales) but no reason for them not to.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
Absolutely this.
There is no way in hell Nintendo want their system to become the current pirate-your-heart-out-for-$10 DS-
1) Look at the way they've been persecuting people who are making/using/selling flashcarts: they're suing them. Tell me that that's the sign of a happy company.
2) The "they still earn money from their console" argument doesn't fit: the DS basically had no competition for the majority of it's lifetime as the PSP basically died young. It sort of makes sense that Nintendo would allow piracy as developers would be willing to overlook this piracy for a huge slice of the market. But now Nintendo faces competition from Sony again and if piracy appears the devs will just flock to the other side, leaving Nintendo for dead. Yeah, that's a great business strategy huh?
3) Is there any real reason for Nintendo not to spend a lot of time and money on security for their system? There are plenty of reasons why they would (eg: good image with publishers==more sales of licenses==more games==higher console sales) but no reason for them not to.
There is one difference between the DS and the 3DS that might mean faster hacking: When the DS first came out, flashcarts were an extremely niche product, and there was almost no demand for them.

Now they're a huge deal. There are a lot of companies out there that make a living for a decently large number of people selling DS flashcarts; all those companies have a huge incentive to get the 3DS cracked as soon as possible. The same things that make it a big deal for Nintendo to protect the 3DS also mean there's likely to be more people targeting it (and more aggressively) than the DS -- hacking the DS was a hobbyist thing; now it's business.

With that said, it still probably won't happen for a long time... and we'll probably end up in the same cycle you get with modern home consoles, where Nintendo is constantly releasing updates to break the latest hax, locking you out of online communities permanently if they catch you using it, etc.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rydian said:
Slowking said:
The PS3 showed that Sony employs the stupidest people on this planet. In the PS3 they did not only leak the PS3 private keys, but also the PSP private keys. That is an amazing feat of stupidity.Sony didn't leak the keys, the keys were found by people poking around in the system. The PSP keys were there because the PS3 can send content to the PSP, which requires signed stuff. In addition the PS3 was the last major console to get hacked (unless you're counting DSi mode), I used it as an example of one hole letting hackers fully in.

If you don't use a random number to create your keys, using that specific cryptography system, that's leaking your keys. Plain and simple. Furthermore I know that the PS3 had the PSP keys in it to send the PSP stuff, it's still really really fucking stupid. Just presign stuff you want to send the PSP, don't leave the keys where anybody can get to them.
Also the PS3 was hacked last because nobody was interested. It was hacked fairly quickly after Sony removed Other OS.

QUOTE(Ruri @ Mar 30 2011, 04:02 PM)
There is one difference between the DS and the 3DS that might mean faster hacking: When the DS first came out, flashcarts were an extremely niche product, and there was almost no demand for them.

Now they're a huge deal. There are a lot of companies out there that make a living for a decently large number of people selling DS flashcarts; all those companies have a huge incentive to get the 3DS cracked as soon as possible. The same things that make it a big deal for Nintendo to protect the 3DS also mean there's likely to be more people targeting it (and more aggressively) than the DS -- hacking the DS was a hobbyist thing; now it's business.
Yeah sure because modchip or flashcard manufacturers have any skill in hacking things. That's why the only system that as opened up for piracy is the PS2. All others, including the DS, were opened up by homebrew people.

Btw. if Nintendo put a Hypervisor in there, which is not that far fetched, if you consider how much power the 3DS uses, this might become like the 360.
Meaning we might see flashcards that emulate game moduls perfectly, by only putting one game on there, but no flashcards with menus or homebrew.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Rydian said:
Slowking said:
The PS3 showed that Sony employs the stupidest people on this planet. In the PS3 they did not only leak the PS3 private keys, but also the PSP private keys. That is an amazing feat of stupidity.Sony didn't leak the keys, the keys were found by people poking around in the system. The PSP keys were there because the PS3 can send content to the PSP, which requires signed stuff. In addition the PS3 was the last major console to get hacked (unless you're counting DSi mode), I used it as an example of one hole letting hackers fully in.

If you don't use a random number to create your keys, using that specific cryptography system, that's leaking your keys. Plain and simple. Furthermore I know that the PS3 had the PSP keys in it to send the PSP stuff, it's still really really fucking stupid. Just presign stuff you want to send the PSP, don't leave the keys where anybody can get to them.
Also the PS3 was hacked last because nobody was interested. It was hacked fairly quickly after Sony removed Other OS.

QUOTE(Ruri @ Mar 30 2011, 04:02 PM)

Yeah sure because modchip or flashcard manufacturers have any skill in hacking things. That's why the only system that as opened up for piracy is the PS2. All others, including the DS, were opened up by homebrew people.

Btw. if Nintendo put a Hypervisor in there, which is not that far fetched, if you consider how much power the 3DS uses, this might become like the 360.
Meaning we might see flashcards that emulate game moduls perfectly, by only putting one game on there, but no flashcards with menus or homebrew.

"Also the PS3 was hacked last because nobody was interested." BULLSHIT the ps3 took so long to hack because all the hackers failed to hack it until geohot took apart the system and found a exploit.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah right. Ask the hackers who actually hacked that thing and they will tell you the same thing I told you. The PS3 wasn't better protected than a Wii.
When I say "nobody was interested" I ofcourse mean the good hacckers, not the N00bs who fucked around with dev units and made fake videos.
You may want to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXfgg7otJw

Antoids

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
Linkiboy said:
Logically, you can't expect a flashcart any time soon. Why? Because piracy was absolutely rampant on the DS, and Nintendo was aware and quite well hurt. They most likely spent gratuitous amount of manpower to ensure that a similar scenario does not happen for what they described as their "main foundation for the next 5 years."

Absolutely this.

>nintendo faces competition
>sony

good one, apple's the real contender

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
Buddy only wants a flashcard by then to steal the game.

Don't you think it's worth buying? How 'bout you support the damn developers so that they'll continue to make decent games.

I've made it my goal to not pirate the games I play anymore. No more flashcards or anything; I've been buying all my shit as of late.

Preach.

doodads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy a ton of shit and would still use flashcarts for other things. But there are some people that will just end up DL'ing everything in sight, even if it's worth buying. I had my PSP hacked yet I ended up buying a crazy amount of games for it (and admittedly downloaded ones), hell I've even bought games after DLing them.

patz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
It took around half year for NeoFlash to release PassMe since original DS released. I hope we'll get a workaround method for hacking 3DS soon.

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
caffolote said:
I have to say that it will happen by June.

noo you dipshit!! sorry but this guy deserves it why make such stupid topcis like this
angry.gif

ad00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nutella said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DS, which supposedly has "horrible security" took 3 years before reliable and affordable flashcarts became available. What do you think the odds are now?

Considering I had an M3DS Simply in 2006, that's not quite true... not saying it will be quick for the 3DS, but don't overstate the case for the DS either. Within 2 years cheap and reliable flashcarts existed, slot 1, and that's not counting those that worked beforehand as well using the GBA slot.

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Not trying to preach or something, but you should support the developers and buy the game...
Do you want the 3DS to die young? You don't, right? THEN BUY THE GAME.

And about the "perfect" flash cart... well, it really depends on what you mean by perfect. To me, a "perfect" flash cart should be like the SCDS2...

Features?

- GB(C/A) Emu
- Be able to play DS roms (that would be easy, right?)
- Support every game without needing official or unnoficial updates.
- Be able to run EVERY homebrew out of the box.
- Have a PS5 and a XBOX 720 emulator that fully supports XBOX Live and PSN. Oh, and a Wii emu would be nice too.

No, we aren't even close to that... like, there's no perfect DS card right now, the best one may be the SCDS2.

DSi mode hasn't been completely hacked yet.
3DS mode... it's a completely new terrain for hackers.

So, the answer is no u_u

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CherrySkitty said:
Not trying to preach or something, but you should support the developers and buy the game...
Do you want the 3DS to die young? You don't, right? THEN BUY THE GAME.

And about the "perfect" flash cart... well, it really depends on what you mean by perfect. To me, a "perfect" flash cart should be like the SCDS2...

Features?

- GB(C/A) Emu
- Be able to play DS roms (that would be easy, right?)
- Support every game without needing official or unnoficial updates.
- Be able to run EVERY homebrew out of the box.
- Have a PS5 and a XBOX 720 emulator that fully supports XBOX Live and PSN. Oh, and a Wii emu would be nice too.

No, we aren't even close to that... like, there's no perfect DS card right now, the best one may be the SCDS2.

DSi mode hasn't been completely hacked yet.
3DS mode... it's a completely new terrain for hackers.

So, the answer is no u_u

I like this.

Srsly? you can't expect the 3ds to get hacked by June, you're probably confused ith the leaking ps3 keys and the quick counters that were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1