Are these the greatest games in the history of the video game industry?

The Strong Museum in Rochester, New York, recently introduced a self-proclaimed "Official World Video Games Hall of Fame", coming with a series of first-class video game legends. This list includes the following games:
  • Pong
  • Pac-Man
  • Tetris
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Doom
  • World of Warcraft
What do you make of this list? Do you feel other games would deserve a place in this list?

Source: http://www.museumofplay.org/press/r...orld-video-game-hall-fame-inductees-announced

Super-Mario-Bros-Title.jpg

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Street Fighter II is the obvious indisputable missing one.
Some graphic adventure game representative... Maybe a Sierra one or a Lucas one... I would say Monkey Island.
Probably the first Command & Conquer should be there.
And perhaps the original Deus Ex, or some other breakthrough regarding CRPG..... Baldur's Gate?
Also, Diablo 1 really made the multiplayer dungeon crawling hack-slash thingy popular, it was kind of a breakthrough that later led to the rise of MMO.
And Mario 64.
As for JRPG, there are many but from a western PoV I would say FF7 because it really made the genre popular in the west, even if it is an overhyped piece of normal game. FF6 is way better, and CT is above both of them IMHO.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Tennis for Two.
The one game that sparked it all.

Other then that, I feel the list the pretty accurate.
All titles that spring to mind when you think of gaming.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of these games will ever make it into my favorites list, not when they've all been done better by sequels and remakes, but all of them hold great historical significance. Sure, Super Mario Bros. 3 may be a better game than Super Mario Bros. in every respect, but we wouldn't have one without the other.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If they're trying to "go retro", which seems to be their intention judging by the first 5, they should probably get rid of World of Warcraft and choose an MMO pioneer instead, something like Ultima Online or Everquest. Overall the list is pretty short - it should probably be extended since it's omitting influential genres like Point and Click adventure (Monkey Island all the way, son), strategy (StarCraft? I mean, it's played to this day! That, or C&C - love me some C&C) or Action-Adventure (Tomb Raider? C'mon people). Overall it's not a bad list though, I guess I can stand behind most of it.

Reactions: matpower

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Out of some the nominated titles listed in the article, I'd say yeah those selected were about right. I would've preferred seeing something like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy included in the inductions, perhaps in place of WoW since they practically fueled the RPG genre that we know today, but eh, it's a nice enough list.

Reactions: matpower

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
wait FIFA 2013 and CoD FUTURE KILL EM ALL is on the list.... not cool bro dude bruv homie...

ill add pokemon red and blue. (the craze was real back in the day)
but im sure it will be added with time.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry some may disagree with me but without a doubt Super Mario Bros has to be the only best game in history, period, the rest on the list are irrelevant to do with gaming history! Pong cannot be included in this list, that wasn't a game really, lets be honest!

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Half-Life anyone?
...a few titles missing like Half Life.
Have either of you even played the entire game?!?
How can you say Half-Life deserves to be on the list!?

And people are STILL asking for HL3 to come out. :blink:

Tennis for Two.

Other then that, I feel the list the pretty accurate.
All titles that spring to mind when you think of gaming.
Tennis for Two... fair enough, I agree. More or less just Pong 2.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good list. Wouldn't ever add Sonic, as its legacy does not carry any of the weight of the other games, and all its relevance is packed into a few years (and then nostalgia). Pokémon, however, feels like a glaring omission, as it is the reference for what a video game is for a lot of non-gamers.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Have either of you even played the entire game?!?
How can you say Half-Life deserves to be on the list!?

And people are STILL asking for HL3 to come out. :blink:
Have you? Half Life was insane when it released, it's practically the father of modern shooters with all of the innovative mechanics and gameplay elements it spawned. It still plays well, even today, minus the constant load screens which were necessary at the time, and Black Mesa has shown that if you simply threw in some better looking textures, it's still an excellent game.

Reactions: pastaconsumer

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I don't think any MMORPG has gathered a following like WoW has.
Ragnarok Online did.
Even Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the first.

I had that game when I was a kid and god scared me like a baby, even though I also played DooM at that time.
Diablo 1 really made the multiplayer dungeon crawling hack-slash thingy popular, it was kind of a breakthrough that later led to the rise of MMO.
^^ this. Diablo should be in the list as the one that popularized the roguelike genre and expanded it with the power of the interwebs.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about Spacewar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar_(video_game)

Written in 1961 and even had multiplayer over network.
Spacewar is notable for actually being a videogame.
Pong is notable for being an arcade videogame.

Spacewar is more relevant today than Pong is. No genre is listed on Wikipedia for Pong, probably because it doesn't have one.
Spacewar is a space shooter (or possibly, 2D space shooter), which, though it doesn't have many releases in that genre, it's still relevant today at least somewhat. Star Control 2 and SPAZ are some popular releases in that genre.

Pong isn't a block-breaking game, but it has some similarities with that genre.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They seem to have grabbed the most influential games of all time for different genre's. With that said, Everquest should be in place of WoW for sure... Or even MUD's, those were the true first MMO's over the internet.

Reactions: Ace_Axel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu