Are there any fun free games that aren't online multiplayer?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately I been thinking that most of the "Free to play" games that I come across are commonly online mutiplayer and always have you connect to a server saving and tracking your info. Now I was curious if there is any console only games that are free but not multiplayer. (Yes that means pc as well) Also no visual novel "games" either. :unsure:

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You Have To Win The Game is a free indie game on Steam with no F2P bull of any kind.
I think developers get paid by ''revenue'' therefore you won't find many F2P games offline.

Reactions: Deleted User

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Losing out on potential EXP by not putting this in the Ask section.

Anyway, wayyy back, I used to play the games on NewGrounds. They have all sorts of stuff there. Take a look whenever you are bored.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is free if you know where to look!

If you want a more legal suggestion, go play Cave Story. Then play some mods for it.

it's the only free game I've played thats actually legal.

Oh, and Pixel made more games too. check the fan site, there's a selection of them

D

Deleted User

There are a lot of fangames out there that fit the bill for this. Megaman Unlimited, Sonic Time Twisted, and AM2R are all free fangames that don't involve mainly multiplayer, data tracking, or microtransactions.

Also, MUGEN and IKEMEN are good to sink a few hours into, just for the satisfaction of watching Kakyoin and Ronald McDonald beat the shit out of Thanos. The engines themselves, as well as pretty much all assets made for them, are free.

If fangames don't float your boat, you could also just wait until a Steam or Humble Bundle deals gives away a game or two for free, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lately I been thinking that most of the "Free to play" games that I come across are commonly online mutiplayer and always have you connect to a server saving and tracking your info. Now I was curious if there is any console only games that are free but not multiplayer. (Yes that means pc as well) Also no visual novel "games" either. :unsure:
On consoles, I doubt it. That would mean the developers had to pay to get their game on a platform, but had no way to see anything of that revenue back.

On PC and mobile, there are quite some.

On PC:

-openTTD: transport tycoon deluxe, but open source. You might want to use the original files for classic graphics, but if you've never played the original you probably won't even notice the difference
-openRA: like the above, but for red alert
-Trackmania Nations forever: a free racing game
-unreal tournament: I haven't followed the progress in over a year, but aside perhaps a subscription to epic's account, I can't but assume that it's still completely free
-dwarf fortress: old, but a classic
-path of exile: diablo 2 clone that's still widely popular
-daggerfall. so basically the first version of skyrim
-Simon Tatham's puzzle collection: a bunch of simple but incredibly addicting puzzle games (note: perhaps even better on mobile)

Mobile often has a tendency to put adds in things, but there are more than a few that don't interfere when you disable wifi. I also found out about "appsales" recently. It tracks and shows discounts and temporary free games. It's almost absurd what kind of great games are being given away nowadays (perhaps it's expired now, but I just got an actual "Ori and the blind forest"-clone called Rima...and the graphics are actually as impressive).

-infinity loop (note: that's with that horizontal 8-figure): calming rotation puzzles
-Onirim: a solitaire card playing game. The base game is free, and incredibly addicting (the expansions are worth it and almost free, but again: the base game gives you more than enough)

That's all I can think of right now...

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have any grand or epic suggestions, but here's a couple from my days running the computer lab at an elementary school....

Browserquest - A very simple, short online MMO. It's really a PoC toy made by Mozilla to demonstrate HTML5. I revisit from time to time. Cute, fun, but, again...very short. Even has some interesting achievements. Sadly, it seems like the Mozilla hosted version is gone, but I Googled and there are various other servers running this. The whole project is also Open source, so anyone can download it and set up their own server.

Interactive Sites For Learning - http://interactivesites.weebly.com/ -Yes, these are mostly educational games, but there are some pretty fun ones in here, particularly under the Brainteasers section. These are all completely free, no login/registration required. They are all flash games, so they run in the browser. (Definitely have your ad-blocker on, though, because they all have ads!)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Taleweaver mentioned a few but a lot of games get released or remade by fans as open source
https://osgameclones.com/ is a decent start.
You may find some of them release the game but the assets are separate but you can still get some things done.

https://supertuxkart.net/Main_Page has some interesting ideas and is one of the things experimenting with the "kart racing" genre, as opposed to mario kart which is not really and seems to provide the reference for everybody else. Control wise it is not quite as tight but could be worth looking at.

If you already have some games then
http://www.moddb.com/mods can radically alter games, especially if you look for the "total conversion" type subgenre (though not an option in their lists it seems).

Keep an eye on things like origin's free games, sometimes people release free things on steam, I did see someone link up something free on humble bundle a little while back. Equally said humble bundles can be had for a matter of cents at times.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
N: The Way of the Ninja is probably my favourite free game. It's had enhanced ports to consoles and Steam in N+ and N++ if you find it something you enjoy and want to give the developers something for their efforts. Check it out here: http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Blizzard made Starcraft 1 (not remastered) free recently, if I recall correctly.

There's a good trillion fangames or mods.

Fallout Shelter got ported to PC, it's a mobile game with mtx, but if you're a fan of the series, it can be worth a play for a short bit. Brawlhalla is free on Steam, and supports local multiplayer.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
  • ROM CHECK FAIL (Third last on that page) - A fun little arcade-like game where gameplay mechanics from different games get mixed up. I've had quite fun playing this in the past.
  • Destruction II - Offline local multiplayer game where you fight a friend in a maze-like environment filled with ammo, tanks, mines, power-ups and treasures. Between each round you get to upgrade your characters with armor, weapons and special abilities in a store using the money you found (or the money you get for selling ammo/other items). I used to play this back when I was a kid and I absolutely adore it even now. There's just so much fun to be had with this game when playing against a friend.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Blizzard made Starcraft 1 (not remastered) free recently, if I recall correctly.
Damn...I knew I was forgetting an important one. :blush:

In any case: yes...the first starcraft (including brood war) is totally free.

EDIT: just thought of another one: Floating point. This is by the indie developer (Tom Francis) who later made gunpoint and morphblade. While floating point might not be much of a step up from flash games in terms of looks, it is very satisfying to play. It's an abstract game where you're basically spiderman swinging around webs to wherever you want. You score points by passing through score points as fast as you can, so you gotta see to gain as much traction as you can.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1