Are Marvel movies mostly for kids/teens?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These movies seem to rely on special effects and "soft" violence whereas if you'd compare to the Netflix series of Daredevil, The Punisher, and Amazon's The Boys you see how completely different they are and what age groups they're targeting.

Daredevil is now part of MCU and what does that exactly mean for NF DD viewers? Well, don't go in expecting tons of stylized violence or any, well, there's dull and bland fights.

MCU:

NF:

Pretty disappointing as I absolutely loved NF Daredevil. Seeing this, this is quite the downgrade.

That being said, I still like some Marvel movies like Spider-Man No Way Home for nostalgia, Deadpool and Logan, but that's about it. I've never really cared much about the whole MCU universe or DC universe (except Batman and Superman).

The superhero bubble will eventually burst although for the time being, i.e., years to come, it's still safe from that happening, I'd say.

Reactions: CoolMe

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Marvel is made for kids and teens. Daredevil and The Boys aren't exactly for adults either, they're for teens, probably those who enjoy stuff like Arrow or Supernatural. A person isn't mature and intelligent for appreciating The Boys. I write it as an enjoyer of all three (MCU, Daredevil, The Boys).

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daredevil and The Boys aren't exactly for adults either, they're for teens, probably those who enjoy stuff like Arrow or Supernatural
Supernatural and Arrow were CW shows, and CW shows are known to not be very good. They're a mix of soap opera x teen drama.

Supernatural was a fun show thanks to Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, plus other cast members.

Anyway, comparing CW shows to NF DD / The Boys is a very unbalanced comparison. NF DD / The Boys are infinitely superior to other (kiddy/teen) superhero shows.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Supernatural and Arrow were CW shows, and CW shows are known to not be very good. They're a mix of soap opera x teen drama.

Supernatural was a fun show thanks to Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, plus other cast members.

Anyway, comparing CW shows to NF DD / The Boys is a very unbalanced comparison. NF DD / The Boys are infinitely superior to other (kiddy/teen) superhero shows.

You should broaden your scope on series, cinema and literature if you think that.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The really cynical side of me wants to say that they're for anyone with a diminished attention span that doesn't care about gaping plot holes and relatively little cohesive continuity... but that doesn't mean that they can't still be enjoyable fun, just don't pretend that they're masterpieces of cinema.
...and, to a degree, the same is true of all the 'tv' shows you're referrencing, regardless of whether they tend towards an R rated aesthetic.

The adaptation of The Boys is ridiculously tame compared to the original comics.

Reactions: Dark_Phoras

Teck-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Boys really doesn't fit in that comparison, since it's essentially a satire. A huge part of it is political and social commentary, which the other franchises mentioned don't do.

But yes, Marvel belongs to Disney, and Disney's very much about pandering to children and early teens, or at least being "family friendly". There are Avengers themed rides in Disneyland after all.

Last edited by Teck-,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's one of those things where the ideal audience are kids and teens because those are fans that will grow up with the IPs and form that 'bond' with it that will keep them paying for years. At the same time, they acknowledge that a lot of their fan base are adults, and they don't want to drive that base away either. Sort of like Pokemon and Disney, I suppose. They aim for the kids but they know they have a huge adult fan base because the franchise precedes so many of the younger fans.

Last edited by Maximumbeans,

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should broaden your scope on series, cinema and literature if you think that.
CW are just that. If you refuse to see them for what they are, that's your decision.

CW's Walker reboot series is supposedly a Western, but one horribly cheesy at that.

Jensen Ackles evolved as an actor while Jared Padalecki got stuck with CW.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So where does Deadpool fit? He's a mixture of both worlds and remains to be seen of he will even enter the mcu. There's no guarantee or real reason they all have to co exist on screen so targeting different audiences is the obvious reason they are polar opposite each other.

Personally, I love the mcu but really can't be arsed with the boys as someone commented earlier, i see it more as social commentary and satire rather than good ol fashioned escapism.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
CW are just that. If you refuse to see them for what they are, that's your decision.

CW's Walker reboot series is supposedly a Western, but one horribly cheesy at that.

Jensen Ackles evolved as an actor while Jared Padalecki got stuck with CW.

Those classifications are meaningless to my experience, in my country all of these shows are agglomerated into a handful of TV channels and streaming services. The channel of Arrow is the channel of Lost and Prison Break, the channel of Supernatural is the channel of Grey’s Anatomy and 24. Also, take a look at my avatar, I enjoy stories and characters way more elaborate and complex than this teen content.

Last edited by Dark_Phoras,

Teck-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So where does Deadpool fit? He's a mixture of both worlds and remains to be seen of he will even enter the mcu. There's no guarantee or real reason they all have to co exist on screen so targeting different audiences is the obvious reason they are polar opposite each other.
Deadpool is also satire, verging on parody. I can't imagine it being brought into MCU without being heavily sanitized and censored, to the point where he's unrecognizable. Then again, if anyone can pull that off it's Ryan Reynolds.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how we are talking about how Marvel is supposed to be geared towards kids/teens while Multiverse of Madness dropped a few months back and having a hard violent/gory direction for tour typical Marvel movie.

The problem is less about whether its for kids/teens and more about the direction of audience they are aiming for. Its not about age as much as it is pandering to a shifting market of new generation fans. Its apparent that most people who were invested into Phases 1-3 are dropping off into Phase 4 and feel that the movies should have wrapped up. But Disney is betting on the younger fans who want more and have yet to tire of the movies. The shifting tone, different directions of writing and story presentation, Identity politics on display , relatability with problems that younger generations seem to grasp at, and much more its being geared/pandered towards that audience because that is where the sustainable future of the profitability of the MCU will go to. Its a shifting lens of focus.

There are outliers to this for sure, but its clear that their goals are trying to aim for younger fans that got into the MCU at a much younger age and still want more, where as the older audiences are just kinda done with it. Time will tell if this investment will work in their favor or if it shits the bed hard in lost profits/interest. After all no better way to test these waters than making the Multiverse a thing now, if shit goes really bad with engagement interest drop off they can always just bring back Iron Man and Cap and say "OH WE GOT THEM FROM ANOTHER UNIVERSE!" Effectively retconning their removal from the MCU because all the newer heroes are just not bringing in the same interest they did.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They’ve honestly become generic Disney movies and even use recycled plots from Disney movies. A great example would be Guardians Galaxy 2 and Spider-Man Far From Home, which both literally follow the plot of Toy Story 2/3. Spider-Man No Way Home has the same ending as Endgame. Black Panther was just Hamlet/Lion King. And the list of the same movies keeps going on. Simply put, Disney just turned the MCU into generic Disney movies with Marvel characters.

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hamlet, not MacBeth. MacBeth is the one with the witches, the king with increasing madness and the army of trees.
Yeah, my brain wasn't braining

Reactions: Dark_Phoras

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't like 'em. I can't stand the actors that, you could easily see that they are not acting out of passion but for ego, like, "Yeah I'm superhot, look at me playing your hero" instead of, well, being the hero. Also I think they are really bad, for example I played the Xmen arcade game back in the 90's and oh man that was some awesome adventure with Thanos, Juggernaut and so many more incredible characters, but in the films they are portrayed poorly.

It's just my opinion, there will be people that like them, there will be people that don´t like them, but one thing is a fact: They will sell like crazy always.

Just wish the heroes where a bit more when they where strong, humble heroes and not playboys dying for themselves.

Glyptofane

🇵🇸
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hamlet, not MacBeth. MacBeth is the one with the witches, the king with increasing madness and the army of trees.
Yeah, my brain wasn't braining
Either way, adapting Shakespeare isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself. It worked well for several Kurosawa films. However, in this case, it just seems like a cheap trick by talentless hacks to artificially instill some sort of classical depth into hollow corporate trash.

Dragons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes In definitely don’t believe me look at Thor and hulk turned them into joke in books there serious maybe werewolf by night will be more serious tone for once less comedy crap if Deadpool makes it in marvel then Deadpool is first to be for adults nudity swearing violence

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Superbad is another great one, lots have never seen. McLovin is the man.