Hacking are 4gb/8gb non HC really there?

psycoblaster

Divine
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There were many people saying that anything over 2 gb is considered HC, but i've heard in MANY places that there is a 4gb microSD (non HC)
and i've found some wierd pics and all that...

how about this??
kingston4gb.jpg

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Kingston-4GB-Mic...ni-adaptor.aspx
It's a kingston, and doesn't say HC on it... and doesn't say anything about how it is SDHC...
because this one has HC on it....
microSD4GB_SD_adapter.jpg

I know that you can't just say - Hey that's not HC because it does not have a HC picture on it!
But i was just wondering...

(oh and by the way the 4 on the first pic looks fake, too.)

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
psycoblaster said:
There were many people saying that anything over 2 gb is considered HC, but i've heard in MANY places that there is a 4gb microSD (non HC)
and i've found some wierd pics and all that...

how about this??
kingston4gb.jpg

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Kingston-4GB-Mic...ni-adaptor.aspx
It's a kingston, and doesn't say HC on it... and doesn't say anything about how it is SDHC...
because this one has HC on it....
microSD4GB_SD_adapter.jpg

I know that you can't just say - Hey that's not HC because it does not have a HC picture on it!
But i was just wondering...

(oh and by the way the 4 on the first pic looks fake, too.)

There are non-standard 4GB SD . They work in a weired way (due to being right on the edge of the 1.01 card specs) and they wouldn't necessarily work with SD compatible Devices.

Wikipedia has a nice calculation on its possible :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...e_4_GB_capacity

PickleHead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think non-sdhc cards over 2 GB are not following SD spec and they may not be compatible with all devices. Use at your own risk!

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get 4GB non-HC SD cards. seems like i saw some on newegg recently, but i believe they were more expensive than 2 2GB SD cards. and it was full size SD; 2GB is the largest micro SD i've seen.

EDIT: newegg has them here. and the slow one is pretty cheap. full size SD, though.

podunk1269

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
The 4 gig non hc is real, but it gets currupt easy. My advice is get the Cyclos EVO which supports sdhc.

I am using a kingston card now and I really like it, no problem from the brand, but it is only the 2 gig one

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my understanding of how SD cards work. Like any solidstate memory, they require an address input. Usually this is 32-bit, which equates to about 4 billion cells. Each cell, can contain one bit, a byte, a word, a dword, a qword, or even a nybble. Usually a byte is used for simplification. Anyways, there is one problem, any R/W media requires a R/W flag. This only takes one bit, but if the control bandwidth is only 32-bit, that means only 31-bits are used for data, limiting it to 2GB. There are methods of going around this, such as placing the RW flag somewhere in the memory, which reduces the capacity by one cell. So they are very substandard, and will probably not work. I am probably wrong in my understanding, so please correct me.

indigorain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im lost on this too. I have an 8GB SD card with no HC logo anywhere on it. All it says at the top is Elite Pro and it's not a kingston. The issue I am having is that Windows vista will see the card as 4GB rather than 8. Not sure what my non HC camera sees it as, and I have been told that it has to be an HC card if it's 8GB. I have a few of these because I bought them wholesale and they work in both non HC and HC devices such as cameras. How much space the camera see's is unknown to me.

Id just really like to know WHAT type of card they really are and who manufactured them. Been banging my head against a wall for over a month about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1