i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who speak a language other than English, are archaisms still present in your modern language to some extent?

For instance, the most popular English bible is written in English hundreds of years out of date - and so words like "thee" "thy" and "speaketh" are still encountered somewhat regularly - and they also show up in historical fiction (in books, movies and games)

Any examples other people can think of?

Reactions: SAIYAN48

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well yes. Spanish is archaic.
But I might address that my Spanish is not equal to the Spanish any other country uses.

Pretty much every other Spanish talking country that's not Mexico, utilizes a bad? kind of Spanish.

Words are mispronounced, often won't pronounce the R or S letters, or even replaces such letters by L.

It's pretty awful for me because I suffer from Misophonia and I can't tolerate people not speaking neutral Spanish like Mexican Spanish, besides other noises like chewing, slurping, loud noises...

Here's what I mean:

Spain, South America's and some parts of Mexico spanish is archaic and often makes people sound like retarded people.

Last edited by JuanMena,
Reactions: x65943
D

Deleted User

The easiest example to find here in South East Asia is for Muslims; the Quran is archaic in that it stays in the Classical Arabic Language, when most other Holy Books get translated to the current Language of their Followers.

Most Muslims know parts of it because they are trained to memorise it regardless what their Native Language is; some can recite the whole Scripture by heart.
So, no; memorising and understanding the Quran does not equate to proficiency in Conversational Arabic, as some would assume.

The second easiest example are Registers.
Higher Registers tend to remain archaic because of their nature and reverence, whereas Lower Registers follow the same path as normal Language and even Colloquialism.

Since my Family is rooted in the Colonial Era, I experience two Registers in my Dutch, i.e. for people older than myself and everyone else, and three in the Javanese Language I use to communicate on the island of Java, i.e. Krama, Madya and Ngoko from Highest to Lowest.

The third would be the Melayu Language usage between Malaysia and Indonesia.
The Melayu People occupy an overlapping area between both Countries and, Historically, their Language is widely used in both, fusing into some of the hundreds of Regional Languages in Indonesia.

Today, it is the Native Language of Malaysia, which basically translates the Country of Malays or the Melayu People, and the Internal Lingua Franca of Indonesia; both Countries use English as the External Lingua Franca.

From a Linguistics standpoint, Malaysians preserve the purest form of Melayu through the centuries, even with Absorptions from various sources; to the Indonesian perspective, the Malaysian Language is archaic.

Understanding both Languages at a Conversational level takes a bit of troubleshooting from either side, especially when considering the nuances of Hokkien in both, but is quite rewarding.

Last edited by , , Reason: Almost forgot Melayu; don't @ me Malaysians and Indonesians ...
Reactions: x65943

Deleted member 568468

State of dormancy
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Polish indeed has a ton of archaisms, but they are mostly present in literature. Nowadays the kids will rather borrow words from English, especially when it comes to technology/social media (great example is hate in the online sense of it - people won't rather use the native word for it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade