Apple holding an iPhone 4 press conference this Friday (16th)

luke_c

Big Boss
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
ip4main.jpg

Headline says it all folks. Obviously the company is going to be getting out in front of this antenna drama (finally). We've been invited and we'll be there, reporting live! It all happens at 10AM PT, Friday the 16th.
Source.

frogmyster3

Trophies
XP
Country
It'll either be a "Hi guys, we're going to recall all the iPhone 4s that have been sold and shipped and replace them with ones that still have faults, just not as many" or my personal favourite, "It seems that someone is onto us so let's get it out in the open. Every iPhone ever made has a chip inside that when activated will blow up and explode the brains out of anyone using it. And well, now seems like the great time to use it. *presses button. explodes everyone including Steve Jobs who didn't think it through because he will die to*".

But to be serious - I've not a clue. I'll keep my ears and eyes open in interest to see what they're going to do.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CA519705950 said:
Good to hear! Looks like they might actually have fixed the problem and are maybe making an announcement about it... I thought they were just going to keep covering it up like they did the other day when they erased all mention of the 'de-recommendation' from their forums.
There are already reports of fixed iPhone 4s getting dispatched out. They're probably going to announce that.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
It's the reception problems a friend of mine has one. It's rather funny watching him walk around with it in the air trying to send a text
laugh.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
from BBC news:

Apple has issued a fix for one problem with the iPhone as reports start to emerge of another bug.

An iPhone software update has corrected the way that different versions of the handset display signal strength.

But some users are reporting that an earlier update means their 3GS phones now drop far more calls than before.

The news comes as Apple prepares for a news conference in which it is expected to address the ongoing iPhone 4 antenna problem.

Rebooting phones

The update for the iPhone iOS software fixes a problem that Apple discovered when investigating reports about reception falling away on the newest version of the handset.

In an open letter, Apple said it was "stunned" to discover that the formula it had been using to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display was "totally wrong". The formula regularly displayed two more bars of strength than it should, the company said.

To correct the flaw, Apple issued a fix that owners can get hold of by connecting their phone to a Mac or PC and updating the device. Analysis of the update shows that it does not alter the underlying formula for calculating strength but changes how many bars a phone displays.

At the same time some owners of the iPhone 3GS are reporting that an earlier update to the handset's operating system made their phone far more likely to drop calls.

The dropped calls occur when the phone suddenly reboots during a conversation.

The Apple support forum dealing with the problem now has more than 36 pages of comments attached to it. Apple has yet to give specific advice about this problem but many users report that restoring the phone's firmware fixes the trouble.

At 1800 BST, Apple is holding a press conference at which it is expected to talk about an ongoing problem with the iPhone 4 antenna.

On this handset the antennas for the different wireless services it can handle are built into the case of the device. Many people have reported losing signal and calls if their hand bridges the gaps between the separate antennas.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPhone 5
it will fix all the problems of the iPhone 4 for the low low price of only $499.99 + 2 year contract

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
    Veho @ Veho: Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages...