RELEASE Apollo - File Explorer for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by evo-brut3, Jul 9, 2019.

1. NoNAND

NoNAND Just a GBAtemper thriving in his natural habitat

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's Discord Server
    Having an alternative to NX shell is good.
    Nice GUI
    hopefully you'll find a workaround that'll fix the moving files issue.

2. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Excellent work! Does this delete content as well updates, dlc etc.. That’s what I’m looking for in a content manager. This looks very similar to n1dus which stopped working on firmware 7.0.1. and in my opinion was the best content/installer manager ever made, simple and so good.

Last edited by Reecey, Jul 10, 2019
  3. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    now there's a quote to keep and treasure :)

4. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Awesome! Make one for the Wii U... i beg you T.T

5. Wamboniga

Wamboniga Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Germany
    Looks super nice, good work pal :)
    Im also interested in USB SDcard Access and ftp.

Keep it up :yay:

6. Charli

Charli Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    Charli is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2011
    Germany
    :wub:^_^

Your tool looks great so far, thank you :)

7. Powerful

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    Just curious, what’s the point in this and why should I use it over NX Shell, and gold leaf?

Last edited by Powerful, Jul 10, 2019
    Pluupy likes this.
  8. AD2076

AD2076 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2019
    Italy
    Why do you say NX Shell AND Goldleaf intead of NX Shell OR Goldleaf? What's the point in using both?
    Multiple chioce is often nice. A new project could bring improvements and/or new functions not available in other projects

9. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    >a god of music
    music player support?

Pluupy likes this.
  10. Natehaxx

Natehaxx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2017
    Eritrea
    Can they not add an ftp option

11. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Nice project but NX-Shell is far more advanced and judging by the list of planned feature for this it'll never be better than NX-Shell is at the moment...

Pluupy and Joel16 like this.
  12. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Eh; don't you already have your smartphone for that?

Unless you want a text editor to directly edit files on the switch for better hacking.

13. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This :) Config files etc.

14. FoxMcloud5655

FoxMcloud5655 GBATemp Developer

Nov 16, 2015
    United States
    Cornaria
    Exactly why it's been the most requested feature. Editing text files will allow you to manually change many things you previously could only do via FTP or otherwise.

EDIT: Ninja'd by hippy :P

15. evo-brut3
    OP

evo-brut3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Poland
    I planned to work on that feature, but I don't promise anything, because as for now I know very little about how to implement this.

If I remember correctly joel16 said that he had some problems with that, but I'm really curious what are these problems, so I'll think about that.

Well I removed the moving function in a minute before first release, but only because of my new overwriting method, I'll add it in v0.2 without any problems.

Sorry I see that I didn't make it clear - Apollo is not going to be another content manager if we're speaking about nsp, xci, nca and others, there are already better homebrew for that, like Goldleaf or Tinfoil. Apollo's goal is to become convenient and reliable multi-functional file explorer.

Haha, thank you, I need to make it more advanced before any porting, but I'm not saying no ;).

That's is pretty good question, the point of project is that I'd like to learn new things, so I could provide community with better tools, the point of Apollo as I stated before - is to make it
    I also want to add new features which are requested by the community (of course features which I'm able to do at the moment). You're asking why you should use it over NX Shell or Goldleaf, well I do respect the creators very much, especially XorTroll because of the Plutonium, but for example NX Shell is pretty slow and Goldleaf doesn't allow you to select multiple files (or I'm stupid and I can't see that option) and I prefer Apollo's design over NX Shell and Goldleaf's (but that is only a matter of choice).

You got it pretty quickly ;)

Why not?

I got a felling that not everyone understood it correctly - this is only a list for the very next release as I wrote in the first post and on the Github. I'm planning to do more advanced stuff, but in the next releases.

Last edited by evo-brut3, Jul 10, 2019
  16. Joel16

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    I don't mind some competition but the all the planned features are already incorporated into NX Shell apart from text editing/viewing. Anyways I hope to see more uniqueness from your project rather than another program that does the same thing in different ways.

Idaho, blawar, MartyDreamy and 4 others like this.
  17. evo-brut3
    OP

evo-brut3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Poland
    I believe that these features are mandatory for any file explorer. My role model is currently banned from Google Play Es File Explorer, which before deletion was mine "must-have' tool. I'll be happy to give it more uniqueness, but this not a game nor a movie, this is a tool, so having same features which works in different ways is unavoidable.

FoxMcloud5655 and Joel16 like this.
  18. Joel16

Joel16 Ils ne passeront pas

May 8, 2011
    United States
    Doesn't concern you.
    No worries, I was just posting what I thought. I too learned a lot of how FS code works from 3D Shell and then here with the switch variant (I still have a lot to learn to be honest lol). I hope you can gather more knowledge with this and I wish you luck!

evo-brut3 likes this.
  19. evo-brut3
    OP

evo-brut3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Poland
    Thank you very much, hearing that from the creator of the most advanced file explorer for the Switch means a lot to me. I must say that making Apollo gave me more knowledge than 3 years of high school (they taught me english not c++).

wicksand420, FoxMcloud5655 and Joel16 like this.
  20. Dichotomy754

Dichotomy754 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    I haven't tried it yet, for now ftp and windows browser is working good enough so I'll probably wait for text editing and the like before messing about with it. Though if you're looking for the most recommended features I'm sure a dark skin is going be be pretty high on that list ;)