RELEASE Apollo - File Explorer for Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by evo-brut3, Jul 9, 2019.

1. FoxMcloud5655

FoxMcloud5655 GBATemp Developer

Nov 16, 2015
    United States
    Cornaria
    When someone has something they want to make and they're willing to learn whatever it takes to realize their dream, it can be a very rewarding and educational experience. I speak from my own experience :) Happy to see that you took an idea and ran with it!

Speaking of a dark theme, that would be highly appreciated myself, as I love keeping things dark on my screen. Helps with power saving AND helps my eyes not strain too much!

2. Dichotomy754

Dichotomy754 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Too bad it basically all has to come from self motivation. Early schools fail by focusing on what students struggle with rather than encouraging what captures their interest, children are naturally curious but the educational system beats that out of them.

Anyhow, while I just prefer a darker aesthetic there are some people where dark mode is a full on accessibility feature.

Last edited by Dichotomy754, Jul 10, 2019
  3. evo-brut3
    OP

evo-brut3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Poland
    Dark theme won't be a problem, but I'm not yet sure what colors should I use.

4. realdev

realdev Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2019
    United Kingdom
    An MTP interpreter would be great for editing files over USB. But good work! Looks great.

5. mrmole

mrmole Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Will you also support .cbr and .cbz for graphic novels? Or at least allow for their extraction (they are just rar/zip archives with changed extension)?

6. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hehe wow I didn't know that had got banned from the Play store. And I just looked, there are already so many fakes on there. It was my android file explorer of choice too, was best before it changed hands and got more heavy on the ads and paid features, but was still possible to get a version running nicely up until fairly recently. RIP I guess.

On my new phone I got MiXplorer as it was linked from a guide I was following, and it goes nicely with my EMUI phone and has done everything I need so far, with no ads or bullshit.

wicksand420 likes this.
  7. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Why would I want this over NX Shell

8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Options are good. So far you wouldn't, unless you want to see its progress (so far so good), but it sounds like the future holds good things.

9. Dichotomy754

Dichotomy754 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    ES Explorer may no longer be in the play store, but it is available from XDA Labs. Who have a handy app for installing and updating underground apps.

Last edited by Dichotomy754, Jul 10, 2019
    wicksand420 and hippy dave like this.
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Good tip thanks, think I'm happy having moved on from it now tho.

11. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    The FS module has bugs with non-ASCII filenames and is incapable of handling them. See here. Theoretically, if the bug in FS were to be fixed and you use UTF-8 encoding it should just work, but that day probably isn't coming anytime soon. Blame Nintendo.

Either way, cool tool. I like seeing options for people to choose from.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jul 10, 2019
    Joel16 likes this.
  12. evo-brut3
    OP

evo-brut3 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    Poland
    That would explain why I wasn't able to support these languages in Apollo, but still I'm curious if there's something that can be done with this.

If there are only images packed in archives then it should be simple to implement.

hippy dave likes this.
  13. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Make one for Wii U, there is definitely no competition there.

Joel16 and ploggy like this.
  14. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Unless you reverse FS and patch or reimplement it, no.

The burden to fix it here is on Nintendo or CFW developers like the atmosphere team. There's not much if anything that can be done from the homebrew application side, nor on libnx's side of things. Nintendo has yet to fix it, likely because it only affects homebrew and doesn't affect files inside a romfs.

This has also negatively affected several other homebrew projects; EasyRPG is probably the one hit the hardest, since half the library of games for RPG maker uses Japanese filenames.

15. blawar

blawar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    I have concerns about your project. You seem to be modeling it after android, however (and i know this is obvious), the switxh is not android. android doesn’t have joycons or a dock, it’s touch screen only. you can not use a touch only design on a switch, the usability of docked mode would be nearly unusable.

additionally, you are using plutonium. plutonium is not going to get you anywhere near that type of UI, i don’t see a viable path for getting where you are now, to getting where you want to be.

huma_dawii likes this.
  16. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    In other words, you don't like Plutonium and want to complain in a completely irrelevant manner to this topic (NX-Shell is based on CM File Manager, for reference.) Got it.

Billy Acuña and hippy dave like this.
  17. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    I didn’t say i did, or did not like plutonium. plutonium is not a fully featured windowing library, that is a massive undertaking. @XorTroll obly implemented the minimum he needed for goldleaf, which is understandable. but will not get this guy to where he wants to be without a ton of modification.

what most people may not understand is that he got this basic version of the app out very quick because he used pretty much off the shelf plutonium stuff, but he is going to start hitting some hard walls soon.

edit: i also agree with joel, i would like to see some innovation from this project to make it worth while. a different GUI is not a worth while basis for a project, there are plenty of unique projects that he could spend his time writing, that the scene needs. But it is his time to spend any way he chooses.

Last edited by blawar, Jul 11, 2019
  18. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I wouldn't say not worthwhile (it's up to him how he spends his time, not us), but it is true there are other tools that would be beneficial to homebrewers more than a second file manager project, and that Plutonium could use some more functionality than it currently has. I'll concede that, at least.

Also, Plutonium is not a windowing library. You don't need a windowing library on a game console; any form of window management would be counterintuitive (and one could just port something like MyGui anyways.) Plutonium is a UI framework. There is a very, very large difference in scope and provided functionality between the two.

Since this really has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I'm going to abstain from further off-topic discussion on this. This thread is about the OP's application. Not Plutonium.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jul 11, 2019
  19. blawar

Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    i think you are misunderstanding what “windowing” means. it’s not having multiple windows up that you can drag around like on a PC. Every UI element is generally it’s own window. Depends on the framework, but generally each window handles it’s own draw events, click events, etc. each button, menu item, frame, menu are their own windows.

20. seeWood

seeWood Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2019
    Germany
    Great Plugin @evo-brut3 Looking forward to the new features you announced!

The Black Style that was requested to you, i created one :-) You can Name it Dark Side of the Moon :-P

apollo_black Design_small_sized.

and.. i dont know if it is possible, but i would like to see these features:
    - FTP Support directly through the Menu of Apollo (like FTP Support on VitaShell)
    - OTG USB Support

So keep on going and stay on your Job, i like the Style from Apollo!

Last edited by seeWood, Jul 11, 2019