Hacking Ao no Kiseki PPSSPP HD Texture Pack

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Sorry for bumping an inactive thread, but PSP version of Ao Texture pack had a bug where some indoor areas would display White Areas which are not supposed to be there.
NPJH50473_00006.jpg
. After doing some testing I found a way to fix it.
All you have to do is comment out/delete this line in textures.ini file
"0000000000000000da869eec = locations/c052sr00.png"

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Have replaced some of the menu textures. Among them some additional master quartz icons, item icons, Enigma covers(should be all of them) and character portraits.

To Apply add "menu" folder to \memstick\PSP\TEXTURES\NPJH50473 insert pngs from menu.rar file into folder and replace textures.ini file with one included in the .rar

Attachments

• menu.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 219

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So while trying to figure out why one of texture replacements in Ao PSP wasn't working despite being present in folder and hashed I ran into this situation.
Clipboard01.png
I think some of the file names might be in different encodings, and it results in them not being recognized by "textures.ini" file. How to check them all and fix them automatically I do not know.

EDIT: by typing letter "c" into search bar it seems differently encoded files will show like this.

Clipboard02.png
Fully retyping file names of these affected files should fix these textures not displaying in PPSSPP.

Last edited by ArcEnCiel,

NautilusGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So while trying to figure out why one of texture replacements in Ao PSP wasn't working despite being present in folder and hashed I ran into this situation.
View attachment 180874
I think some of the file names might be in different encodings, and it results in them not being recognized by "textures.ini" file. How to check them all and fix them automatically I do not know.

EDIT: by typing letter "c" into search bar it seems differently encoded files will show like this.

View attachment 180984
Fully retyping file names of these affected files should fix these textures not displaying in PPSSPP.
is it just those 13 files affected?

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Added remaining textures to cooking menu. To add put "cooking" folder into "NPJH50473" folder and then copy text in hashes.txt file into textures.ini file

EDIT:
In addition I have went through location textures and replaced more of those: http://www.mediafire.com/file/flj9fy6xhl1mbe6/loc2.rar/file

To apply put location2 folder in NPJH50473 folder. Then delete "#Location Textures" column section in textures.ini file and replace it with text provided in location2.txt file.

Attachments

• cooking.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 170

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So after working on Nautilus' incomplete PPSSPP Ao texture pack for some time, I have reached point where I think it's "good enough" to release.

title.png

What I have done was add vast majority of character portraits, replace more of location texture files so it is more complete, replace more of the flashback screenshots and textures for most 3D monster models.
It is not 100% complete and it is very likely I have made some error somewhere while working on it.
Download link
This project was done with Flame Edit of Ao Fan Translation so there might be some incompatibilities with other versions.

P.S. For best looking results rendering resolution should be higher than Native. In addition Texture Filtering and Screen Scaling filter in PPSSPP should be both set to Linear.

riesyukira

Trophies
XP
Country
Very Nice! Will try this out once I'm done with Zero!
Btw, is it really that impossible to replace the sprites with the higher quality ones thru the Texture folder method?

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I used tools I found in this thread to extract .ITP and IT3 files. Character sprites I believe are in .ITC format and I haven't found any tool that extracts those.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Huh good to know. Fully finishing all the sprites for PSP would probably take another eternity. I will try messing with them to see what the results are tho.

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Btw, is it really that impossible to replace the sprites with the higher quality ones thru the Texture folder method?

Straight insertion of sprites seems to be impossible since PC sprites are slightly bigger than PSP counterparts.
NPJH50473_00039.jpg
NPJH50473_00040.jpg

EDIT: After wrangling one sprite to roughly take up same dimensions as PSP version I got a slightly more convincing result. It's still a not straightforward process and I'm not good at editing images so mileage may vary.
NPJH50473_00041.jpg

Attachments

• NPJH50473_00040.jpg
    NPJH50473_00040.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: riesyukira

ArcEnCiel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
While I have made some progress in implementing sprites into PPSSPP.... This part of project is too big for 1 person, since number of unique character sprites is more than 37 Thousand. and that's not even counting monster sprites. So I can't make any promises on how much I'll complete on my own.

Results in motion:

Reactions: riesyukira

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think