Hacking Anyway to fix bricked wiis after running SPM?

Scha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi

I bricked my Wii because I downloaded SPM and didnt read the forums before testing it. Now I am wondering if there is any way to fix the Wii. I can think of two things, but Im not sure any of them will work.

The first is, that if there is any way to make the Wii skip loading the missing file, or get past the error dialog. But I think that frustrated Wii owners already have tried everything, so I dont really think this is a solution, but you never know.

The other way would be to hardware flash the firmware, the same way you flash modchips. I dont know what kind of chip the FW is stored on, or if there is any protection that makes this imposible or not.

Any ideas, or should I just go out and buy a new Wii, and be more carefull in the future?

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
yeah and it seems no one ver tried or there's a protection but u've read that it could be simply dumped with a flashcard

Scha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The reason its not dumped is either because its protected, or because its encrypted. Probably both. That its encrypted makes it useless for people that want to disassamble it to look for bugs or how the system works, but its not a problem for us, because we need to flash our broken wii's with the encrypted image.

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think many people read the forums before playing it - who would have known?
I'm just thankful mine went well, I will be a bit wary next time a new game comes out though...

benjp2k1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Glad I have a NTSC-U Wii
smile.gif

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand. From what I see some PAL Wiis were affected, and others were not. Is there any ryhme or reason for this? Anyone been able to identify anything in specific?

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's why you guys should just play games from your region.
Crap like this is bound to happen even if you have a region free modchip.
You should have seen this coming sooner or later...

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i read, if the PAL wii has been updated to the latest firmware (or whatever update there is for PAL Wii) then SPM updates will not have any effects on the console. Those who got their Wii bricked was because they did not update their console and when they run SPM, SPM will try updating their console using the update that is for NTSC console.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i read, if the PAL wii has been updated to the latest firmware (or whatever update there is for PAL Wii) then SPM updates will not have any effects on the console. Those who got their Wii bricked was because they did not update their console and when they run SPM, SPM will try updating their console using the update that is for NTSC console.

I have an NTSC-U Wii and I loaded SPM last night NP. Did SPM automatically update the Wii for people or did it prompt for the update. I know I had to udate SSX Blur in order for it to run. I have to click on the disc window to activate the update. Just curious.

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really know since I have a NTSC-U wii as well, but Edster, you shouldn't have a problem, its only people with PAL that got screwed

modmanwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man that sucks! Wait forever to play SPM... then see the NTSC is ripped... find out it plays on PAL and then brick your wii.... what a swing in emotions!

Scha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok.. This is what happens:

The 2.1E that is on the SPM disc includes a file .../US/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html

When the Wii stars up it looks for a file:
.../Your region/Your language/Setup/ScreenSave.html

So that is /EU/ENG/ for me.

Those who have already upgraded theire PAL Wii's to 2.1E have already downloaded this file, so there is no problem, but for those who have not, the file is installed in the location that is correct for a US Wii, but not for an european.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The firmware is written onto the actual wii. Removing the battery won't help. You'll have to hope for someone to come up with a solution. In the other thread about the bricked wiis, someone got onto nintendo about it and they will repair it for a fee. Not sure if I would be that keen sending a modded wii back to nintendo.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
they will just trash it when it comes in and send him a new one back, so better take your chip out before sending it in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.