Hacking Anyway to fix bricked wiis after running SPM?

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Writing anything to the wii would require the community discovering a way to run 3rd party code on the Wii. I'm not saying its not possible, but I wouldn't expect it quickly.

On another note, I'm currently super frustrated as I have performed a "System Update" reset on my Wii months ago now (back when the DNS exploit could be used to get web access, then Nintendo patched it and borked my wii Opera).

I'm sure it was holding down some buttons on one of the controllers and maybe holding reset a little bit. I found it on the AfterDawn forums (hope the admins dont mind me mentioning that) YONKS ago. (searched and searched and searched)

But myself and non of my friends can remember how it was done. Basically, after you do it, it shows a screen with the Update version and date and then powers off.

Surely someone else has done this? please? I'm starting to feel guilty for stating it was such a "Simple" thing. Or maybe we have some kind of freaky group hallucination going on
wacko.gif

I reckon it would work, because it kicked in before even the health and safety screen came up.

On another note, I don't think anyones really sure about what causes this - I've seen various people from here shouting off that they know why it happens but I'm a brave, rich and stupid person who has TRIED to brick one of our Wii's.

Ive ran it with almost every variety of test (apart from the very basic 1st revision firmware, as all of our Wiis are updated at least to some extent, even if its just the SSX Blur update).

I have a launch day Wii and I never got prompted with SSX blur to update, and the SPM update failed at 90% but then did it the second time. As far as 1st generation Wii's go , I can safely say that having screen protection on or off, internet on or off, NOT version 2.1E (but any inbetween 1st revision and new) - whatever, doesn't brick any of our Wii's . Either 1st gen are invulnerable or it needs the very first version of the firmware on.
Weird.

Finally, for those complaining - if you mod your wii and steal games then you have to accept the risk of breaking it, with no support from Nintendo, from the moment you unscrew the first screw. Far too many people here and other places whining like they deserve support , the whole scene is getting too big I think, with people who don't appreciate what they are doing and too much "I got there first" mentality.
wink.gif

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Writing anything to the wii would require the community discovering a way to run 3rd party code on the Wii. I'm not saying its not possible, but I wouldn't expect it quickly.

Surely though, technically the flash ram is read/writeable. I heard it was just a modified SD or something. Now I could understand it if it stored this stuff on the wii bios, because thats encrypted etc

who knows.

Scha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually... We dont need to decrypt the encrypted parts. We just need to make a 1 to 1 copy of the encypted data from one working PAL wii, to a broken one. The only way this will not work is if each Wii has its own encyption key.

And, really... I broke my Wii, but I dont complain. If you take the risk you have to accept the posibility of breaking you wii.

cdmoore74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do feel sorry for you Pal users that have bricked systems. I have a NTSC-U system and I would have done the something. I’m not taking any chances and I will disable the region capability on my Wiikey and will only run games made for my region.
At first I thought that’s what we get for adding a modchip to our systems but now I’m a little upset. If you legally exported the game and yes you voided the warranty by adding a modchip does that give Nintendo the right to brick systems without warning? The updater should be smart enough to know what region firmware it’s trying to flash to and stop any progress automatically if checksums do not match up?
I guess Nintendo will say that modchips are illegal to install so we decided to brick your system. And by the way you will have to buy another Wii or send it in so that we can invade your privacy by collecting your address and personal information for the pending federal case that Nintendo is building against people using modchips.
I hope a fix is forthcoming (probably not from Nintendo) to put my mind to ease and get you guys back up and running. Enough talk; back to playing SPM.

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am now glad I decided against buying the Wiikey to play imported games. I decided not to be selfish and bought my Wiinja V2 to play NTSC games. I was so close to buying the Wiikey too. I am and have always been stuck on NTSC region games and movies.

I do feel sorry for the PAL crew though...

pnag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I guess Nintendo will say that modchips are illegal to install so we decided to brick your system.

Well, except that they didn't really, did they?

I think this was just an unforeseen consequence of the "multi-region" aspect of the chip; you're not supposed to be able to put another region's update on your own region's console, so this is just a horrible side effect, as far as I can see.

Just my 2 cents!

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The mod chip scene for the wii is still pretty new. If you've decided to chip your wii and not wait, you have to suffer any problems that crop up. Next one might be the online play.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I had a bricked Wii, I wouldn't do this:

Buy a new Wii. Take out the new Wii, put back your bricked Wii. Return it. Or return it and tell them that it's not working.

Exactly! That is what I would do!

That don't work all the time....

1. You might end-up 2 wii console no refund in some agreement from store - they ask you to send it to nintendo repair centre.
2. They'll ask for you detail (name, phone and adds or ID ) to kept track your recorder. (fake it you might get trouble - if not show on thier computer,etc)
3. Your face might end in shop window - if they find out that you really did opened a wii console ( they'll cheack the box and console before refund)
4. You might want to pay extra more for wiiconsole and get a warranty however you still end-up 2 wii console.

cdmoore74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I guess Nintendo will say that modchips are illegal to install so we decided to brick your system.

Well, except that they didn't really, did they?

I think this was just an unforeseen consequence of the "multi-region" aspect of the chip; you're not supposed to be able to put another region's update on your own region's console, so this is just a horrible side effect, as far as I can see.

Just my 2 cents!

I do understand that Nintendo assumes that if you try a game from a different region it will not boot at all on unmodded wii’s. But what happens if I buy a Pal Wii here in the states for some crazy reason and I decided to update on Wiiconnect. Wiiconnect should catch that my system is a Pal unit and check for Pal updates or will it? Just saying that the updater built into the game should be smart enough to pick the difference up if it has the capability of updating online. I definitely agree with you about different region updates and it’s not Nintendo’s responsibility to cater to people with modchips.
I can’t help but think that Nintendo has to be enjoying this somewhat just like when news broke out about Wii backups and Modchips on the mod scene only months after release. I can only wonder what trickery Nintendo has in store for us or like you said; just a horrible $250 side effect.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess nintendo did warned us before? 'Wii region lock confirmed'
and wii modchip are not fully compatible region's, force your console to play region really dose mass up your console after all....

I didn't touch SPM (USA version) and I'll better waiting for EUR.

cdmoore74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m surprised that I’m saying this but maybe we can get a firmware update for the Wiikey that disables region capability just to make sure. I know you can disable region capability on the Wiikey but if Nintendo wanted to low ball us they can write code to the game to detect if your system is capable of playing different region disc. If the check passes then they can update the system without warning and the next time you reboot you have a dead system. Pretty sneaky by using the modchips feature/selling point to detect it. I’m I alone in thinking this?

pipesfranco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess nintendo did warned us before? 'Wii region lock confirmed'
and wii modchip are not fully compatible region's, force your console to play region really dose mass up your console after all....

I didn't touch SPM (USA version) and I'll better waiting for EUR.

get it installed its all part of the fun!!!! lol

no but seriously you will be fine as log as your console is fully updated.

robinthehood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how do people know the update works if you already had latest firmware on? my pal wii was bricked by spm i have no idea what firmware was on before spm tried to update, what i do know is my wii updated when i played elebits (ntsc) and ssx blur (pal) so wouldn't i already have latest firmware????

jergens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

1. You might end-up 2 wii console no refund in some agreement from store - they ask you to send it to nintendo repair centre.

Come to think of it, I do remember that upon opening up the Wii console box, there is a big notice to NOT return to the store and instead to call Nintendo support because your product will contain personal information, so it can't be resold.

So it looks like you are supposed to deal with Nintendo directly either way.

I also second the motion for disabling import playing on the WiiKey. I'm paranoid now, and I have run a German copy of a game thinking it was actually NTSC, so who knows what could happen from this point on.

Stripey_Horse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im guessing ONE smart guy at the big N (not the guy who left the debug interface on the drive , but im sure THEY (big n) use that to test each drive before it ships) got a bonus by making a little update that didnt check region , thus bricked a WHOLE HEAP of pal wiis.

then again u must ask. WHY. the stores that sells them would see ALOT of returns etc. i mean. i DIDNT see a warranty void sticker on 3 wiis i have opened.. So the big N gets ALOT of bricked wiis back (then again , surely there is a easy fix) but.. They have all been opened and messed with. some better then others

Of course homebrew or at least being able to dissamble the dvd format would help. Then again. it wont happen soon.. Im sure the big N , sony and m$ have learnt from the xbox original..

btw the wii emulators are nothing like my xbox original.. MMMM. and xbox media center..

this is all totally off topic..

blunty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a bricked Wii, I wouldn't do this:

Buy a new Wii. Take out the new Wii, put back your bricked Wii. Return it. Or return it and tell them that it's not working.

Exactly! That is what I would do!

2 wii consoles is better than 1 $250 brick!

shonosuke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im sick of these damn assholes suggesting things like:

Buy a new Wii. Take out the new Wii, put back your bricked Wii. Return it. Or return it and tell them that it's not working

Its called scamming and its illigal

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A Customer tried this swap trick in my work today. Could well be a forum member for all I know.... They didnt get away with it though as ive got a modded wii myself and know the signs of a wii thats been opened!
wink.gif
I refused and told them to deal with nintendo
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled