Gaming Anyone tried this bootloader editing?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
EasyBCD? Sure, pretty decent software, recovered my screwed up bl with it plenty of times. I also use it frequently for setting up dual boot systems, works fine.

Plus in the extra software part, iirc there is a useful program for dualbooting called ireboot.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Rydian said:
What's your reason for looking into this?
I presume it's because of the other thread where he wanted to "uninstall" one of his XP installs. I suggested using bootloader tools to remove it then just delete the files.

If this is the case, he really shouldn't have started up another thread about it. If there's some other reason... well, I'm sure he'll explain in his next post.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that and my friend also has a bad boot I found out. His dualboot is giving issues like mine, not booting at all. He asked if I knew what to do.

Does it install an iso as a dualboot? That would make my life really easy. XD wouldn't have to use virtualpc

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian, I don't mean it like that. I mean I install it on my harddrive bootloader, instead of virtualpc

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You can't edit your actual bootloader from within a VM.
Sure you can, assuming its on the file system in a location you have R/W access (which for all versions of Windows is the default).

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Within a VM?

The closest I've seen is one of VMware's higher editions having the ability to mount an actual partition as a VM, and then it would only write to the partition, not the bootloader.
Uh, what?

L2 bootloaders are generally stored on the file system of the disk/partition.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
What I'm reading is that he was thinking about running a bootloader editor in a VM and having it change the actual bootloader of the OS of his computer, NOT the one within the VM.
So he simply mounts the directory which the host OS' bootloader is stored in.

What part of this do you not get.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
So he simply mounts the directory which the host OS' bootloader is stored in.That's my concern, is that doable? As I stated I've only seen a higher version of VMware (I think it was the enterprise edition) able to mount an actual partition, and I don't know if it could mount a pre-created one. In addition, could he mount his current partition in a VM from Windows?

QUOTE(Urza @ Mar 10 2011, 10:42 PM) What part of this do you not get.
http://gbatemp.net/t280513-i-m-sorry
I think you need to read your own thread again, because you're STILL posting like a dick.

I'm bringing up something where I think there's going to be a problem and I'm asking for clarification, and you're posting stuff like that, which is DIRECTLY aimed at insulting intelligence or reading ability.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Urza said:
So he simply mounts the directory which the host OS' bootloader is stored in.
That's my concern, is that doable? As I stated I've only seen a higher version of VMware (I think it was the enterprise edition) able to mount an actual partition, and I don't know if it could mount a pre-created one. In addition, could he mount his current partition in a VM from Windows?
The host OS can simply bridge the target directory.

It doesn't involve mounting partitions directly.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used EasyBCD before, while it is good, it is not really beneficial. You can use EasyBCD to let Windows bootloader chainload other bootloader. Windows bootloader cannot directly boot other OS (besides legacy Windows).

Example

Windows Bootloader (MBR) > GRUB (/sda) or Windows > Linux or Windows.

Advantage of this setup is that when you reinstall Windows, you do not need to reconfigure/rescue GRUB (provided that GRUB is not in MBR), since Windows always install bootloader in MBR. All you need to do is reinstall Windows and EasyBCD, reconfigure Windows bootloader and you are done.

Disadvantage is that you have to go through 2 bootloaders to boot Linux (or any OS that uses GRUB).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Toxic pills are best
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, He fucked around and found out.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol Veho
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O OMG. A Very EXPENSIVE way to find out :ohnoes:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    He was trying to whip shitties but instead he wiped out and ate shit.
    +1
    He was better off Whipping his own :shit:. :unsure::unsure::unsure: But then again.. Maybe not. Eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whip it real good
    Nah. Cool Whip is better :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool wHip
    Especially on Chocolate Ice Cream :D:wub::D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Especially on Chocolate Ice Cream :D:wub::D