Anyone recently buy a N3DSXL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gelums, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Gelums
    OP

Gelums GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2016
    United States
    Im looking to get another XL to hack and give to a friend. I have a launch day N3DSXL with dual TN screens and CFW. I'm looking to buy another N3DSXL hopefully with dual IPS screens and before any firmware updates. Has anyone recently purchased a N3DSXL with dual IPS and have the serial number? I would like to know

2. grimrreaper

grimrreaper Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2016
    India
    how do you check if its a dual IPS screen?

3. Gelums
    OP

Gelums GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2016
    United States
    Download 3DSident from FBI in TitleDB or by looking at the screen TN screens have a more washed out black and IPS have darker blacks. You can tell a TN from an angle it would be more white than the actual color of screen. On my 3ds the black theme is more of a dark grey.

Here's a picture
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tn+...AUICigE&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=X-yiAY7YHkJsdM:

It's more noticeable when 3D is active.

Last edited by Gelums, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I have found a ton of dual ips galaxy editions I'm actually shipping one out now ill look at the SN

Gelums likes this.
  5. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    The only one I found (and bought) wasn't a Xl. It was a New Nintendo 3DS Super Mario 3D Land Edition. Any serials have 10.7 FW. YW7010/YW7011 have confirmed Dual IPS and YW7012 is basically lottery (can be top TN and bottom IPS, top IPS and bottom TN, Dual TN or Dual IPS). YW7013 onwards are Dual TN.
    Just view the screen from an EXTREME point of view (Like an inch before you can't see the screen). If you can read everything properly, it's IPS.

mvmiranda likes this.
  6. Gelums
    OP

Gelums GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2016
    United States
    I see, my non XL serial starts with YW as well, but all the XL's I've seen started with QW. I don't think looking at the numbers after the letters of a small 3DS would also work for the XL, I could be wrong.

7. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    QW11806 for the galaxy

8. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    I was just looking into this too and was struck by a thought, seeing as you play the 3DS head on anyway what does the viewing angle matter? This pic shows the difference between TN and IPS quite well:

[​IMG]

But who is going to game like that? I've also read there is no merit to the serials and screens thing as they can be anything anywhen.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  9. Hyoretsu

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    These are only for the normal New Nintendo 3DS SPECIFICALLY Super Mario 3D Land Edition.
    That's ONLY to find out which one you have. The IPS screen colors are better and it's waaaaay more bright than TN ones.
    Nope, there are some serials that're confirmed to HAVE. Other serials could also have but are not confirmed to ALWAYS have Dual IPS.

Gelums likes this.
  10. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2006
    I skimmed the reddit serial thread and the general consensus was even with the serials it was a crap shoot and the only way to tell what screen is in is either via that test or eyeballing it in real life.

11. SquidgyB

SquidgyB Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2016
    FWIW; QEF1037 on mine - Standard blue N3DSXL, bought 2nd hand in the UK this summer, dual IPS screens. I was a lucky boy.

Gelums likes this.
  12. RivenMain

RivenMain Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    I think if you really want dual ips on a n3dsxl/LL and have it at a low firmware you'll need to replace the old screens or replace a mother board, Because the odds of finding both of those is pretty hard. Not only that, but people with ips screens generally want more money and there really isn't a ton of difference between the too. The more you learn about your system the better you can problem solve.

13. Hyoretsu

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Good thing the person I bought my N3DS Dual IPS from propably didn't knew it was Dual IPS. It was the 3rd lowest price on the market.

14. Ronhero

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I just sold a few on ebay for $310, it's not a huge rip off but i was able to make a few bucks profit since they were on 11.0 and i added cfw

15. Gelums
    OP

Gelums GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2016
    United States
    Yeah where I am XL's are $170 right now

16. TheMynx

TheMynx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2016
    Belgium
    QW1039, Nintendo 3DS XL came with dual IPS, bought in Belgium at Carrefour Market.