GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know DMA lets data transfer that's CPU-independent, but when does this come into effect on the DS? How does it affect your everyday player?

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
legendofphil you doing his homework
rofl2.gif

kidding.. well speak...

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I noticed a speed-up in video playback, for example FF3 and Castlevania DoS.

Also, saving your progress in contact on a SCSD was UTTERLY SLOW compared to a CF card. I guess that would be one of the improvements, but I haven't replayed contact ever since I fried my savegame.

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DMA is a method to copy data from one section of memory to another, without involving the processor.

When a processor does a memory copy, it must execute a series of instructions to read data from a memory address into a register, then write the data in that register to another address, and repeat. This involves several instructions, and each read/write cycle is generally limited to the bandwidth of the processor (i.e. a 32 bit machine copies 32 bits at a time).

DMA, on the other hand, is a hardware solution that does all of the work automatically and doesn't involve the processor (and thus no loop operations or anything like that). Not only is it often twice as fast, but it leaves the processor free to do other work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative