Hardware Anyone in N. Amer. have a Japan Wii?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I do now. Actually it's for my son, brought by his grandparents who are visiting. I just found out about this about 1 hour ago. It's raises some interesting considerations ...

1) can I use wifi with it? (I have a Nintendo wifi dongle hooked up already for DS)

2) will it treat us as if we're in japan? (for weather, etc.)

3) I already assume it will only accept Japanese Wii points, and that the VC selection will also be japanese.

4) besides play-asia, where to shop for imports? looks like I'm stuck buying J games until a bootloader disc comes out (FWiiLoader)

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't have one but:

1) WiFi is a worldwide standard it will work wherever you are.

2) No one can say for certain if you can change the region on the weather and news services since they aren't available, but they will probably be in Japanese.

3) You will need either Japanese points card or a Japanese card card to pay for VC games, which will be from the Japanese selection (and of course in Japanese).

4) NCSX.com is a US based import site that you may wish to consider, there are other sites around that sell Japanese games such as yesasia.com. Not sure how good they are.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
buy an american Wii, swap the Wii's around, and take it back
obviously ull have to wait for the next shipment of Wii's but its better than the hassle of un-understandable games

that or try and flog it on eBay and buy a Wii wen its out here

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
obviously ull have to wait for the next shipment of Wii's but its better than the hassle of un-understandable games

no problem with understanding the games. my son is full japanese (ok, he's my stepson but we don't say that here) he moved to the USA at 8 years old ... fully bilingual. And while I'm an American redneck, I'm no slouch with the Nihongo.

It's the wifi and region lock problems I'm worried about.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country

no problem with understanding the games. my son is full japanese (ok, he's my stepson but we don't say that here) he moved to the USA at 8 years old ... fully bilingual. And while I'm an American redneck, I'm no slouch with the Nihongo.

It's the wifi and region lock problems I'm worried about.

ahh i see, my bad
lol

well, WiFi shouldnt be a problem, if its like the DS
I dont know tho, i dont have one so you're best to ask some1 who knows

With the games, their are rumours freeloader works with the Wii as well tho i wouldnt count on it, but i dont think it'll be long till a WiiLoader is out, cus the GC & Wii are very similar (or so ive been told)

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The freeloader doesn't work, certain versions of the Action Replay does but it won't boot different region Wii games as it is already in the gamecube side.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The freeloader doesn't work, certain versions of the Action Replay does but it won't boot different region Wii games as it is already in the gamecube side.

actually I saw where kotaku initially said that Freeloader doesn't work, then I read in the comments to the article, quite a few times, that v1.06b works - for GCN games of course. I never would have expected the FreeLoader to allow region-free Wii booting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning