Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Just wanted to thank Brand Newman for an excellent translation.
I've seen Telly's concert and the credits; now I'm collecting the lego blocks and frog rings again... Everything's been in English so far, except the credit names.
I guess the game is done when all stickers are received??
Again great work,
Mike F
Thanks a lot for this comment, Mike! Yes the credits are a video file that would have taken too much work to modify, not to mention the size of the patch would have gone insane! I only did it for Zangeki tutorials and story videos, and I had to host them outside of Romhacking that time.

But I didn't feel the necessity for Chibi, thus this should be the only part that isn't translated.

Good luck collecting the stickers, I personally never succeeded with the Space Scrambler, but I suck at this mini-game!

And if you feel like it, please leave a review on RH ? :)

Have fun completing the game!

Reactions: oji

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Merry Christmas! I finally have Chibi Robo Wii and am enjoying the heck outta it, thanks for your work, Newman!
I am curious though, I have set my timer to 10 minutes for the time being and it seems after 5 minutes (halfway into the timer in other words) ...the music just... cuts. No music.

Was this in the original GC release or is this a bug? Figured I'd say it just in case...

Edit: Also, Jenny saying a few things other than "Ribbit" or "R'bit" is weird.
It also ruins continuity with her "just saying ribbit" and being a "frog".

Last edited by RetroNerdGamer,

Chao-Etta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is footage of an intro sequence in the Chibi-House cut from the game, recorded in this fan translation. Information for how to activate it in-game is in the description. Thanks to Brand Newman for figuring out how to bruteforce dialog, so I could figure out how to make this scene appear!

Merry Christmas! I finally have Chibi Robo Wii and am enjoying the heck outta it, thanks for your work, Newman!
I am curious though, I have set my timer to 10 minutes for the time being and it seems after 5 minutes (halfway into the timer in other words) ...the music just... cuts. No music.

Was this in the original GC release or is this a bug? Figured I'd say it just in case...

The music cutting out at night is not a bug. This happens in all versions of the game and seems to be intentional, even though there's no clear reason for this feature.
As for Jenny saying other words, she has also done that in all versions of the game, so even though it's mentioned in each version that she "only says ribbit", she's always actually said other words.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France

Hello @RetroNerdGamer , and merry Christmas to you too! I'm glad you're enjoying your Christmas gift, and hope you will forgive my patch for being a little bit "amateurish" here and there!

Since @Chao-Etta answered you just before I did, I won't repeat what she perfectly said.

However, I'm taking this opportunity to remind you that translation often comes with slight modifications, either because of technical limits or for the sake of better understanding, even though I tried to remain very faithful to the original dialogs.

But as @Chao-Etta mentioned it, Jenny actually says a few thing besides "ribbit" ("kero" in Japanese) in every version, mostly as clues for the player.

I'm saying this because I'm actually putting that kind of change in my next project, where "Resolvers" in Japanese (bounty hunters with an ethics, if you want) just became a "made-up word" I found this morning, and am a bit pride of, which are "Mercinaries". :lol:

What do you think of that? And what is that game you ask? Stay tuned and I'll let you know very soon!

Have a nice day everyone!

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The music cutting out at night is not a bug. This happens in all versions of the game and seems to be intentional, even though there's no clear reason for this feature.
As for Jenny saying other words, she has also done that in all versions of the game, so even though it's mentioned in each version that she "only says ribbit", she's always actually said other words.
Ahhh, I don't remember that in GC. Sorry about that! Also the music cutting out just weirded me out knowing this is a mod.
Hello @RetroNerdGamer , and merry Christmas to you too! I'm glad you're enjoying your Christmas gift, and hope you will forgive my patch for being a little bit "amateurish" here and there!
It's fine, I don't mind it being amateurish. I can actually play it in English, now! I have seen a few things that I think could be touched up but I'll try to include them in a forum post while I play. Maybe replay at some point the bit I have played to note some of them there as well!
However, I'm taking this opportunity to remind you that translation often comes with slight modifications, either because of technical limits or for the sake of better understanding, even though I tried to remain very faithful to the original dialogs.
Oh yeah, I understand. I was just confused with Jenny saying other things to Chibi.
What do you think of that? And what is that game you ask? Stay tuned and I'll let you know very soon!
I think that's a funny name and should be included if you do another version!

Reporting on a strange thing I just saw when Watering the dehydrated frog outside in the backyard it calls it "dehydrated frog" at first then "Freida" the next 2 times. I'd say name it consistently all 3 times at that point with either or, but it's weird for it to be called one name the first time then a different name the 2nd and 3rd time.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Reporting on a strange thing I just saw when Watering the dehydrated frog outside in the backyard it calls it "dehydrated frog" at first then "Freida" the next 2 times. I'd say name it consistently all 3 times at that point with either or, but it's weird for it to be called one name the first time then a different name the 2nd and 3rd time.

It's the case in the Japanese version : if I remember correctly, I think I might have altered the dialog a bit for her to present herself.

We had a lot of conversations with my beta testers about things like that.

In that particular case, the thing is the software actually "points" to different names in the game's "code".

Granted, I could have used the character's name everywhere, but then you would have known of her name BEFORE she actually introduced herself, which I think would have been worse.

That's the reason why she's named differently. As you can see, we really tried to think it through. :)

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the case in the Japanese version : if I remember correctly, I think I might have altered the dialog a bit for her to present herself.

We had a lot of conversations with my beta testers about things like that.

In that particular case, the thing is the software actually "points" to different names in the game's "code".

Granted, I could have used the character's name everywhere, but then you would have known of her name BEFORE she actually introduced herself, which I think would have been worse.

That's the reason why she's named differently. As you can see, we really tried to think it through. :)
I'm not sure I follow, actually. I can tell you guys thought about it but...

Edit: Just ran into another strange thing. After you try to get Giga-Robo's leg, but the Spydorz are let loose and take it from you, invading the house and attacking the Sandersons, once everyone holes up in the lounge and whatnot Mr. Sanderson says "Yey! We stopped them" or something along those lines. It should be "Yay" not "Yey". no? Funnily enough I've only seen "Yey" used in one other game, Megaman Starforce 3 and that was an official translation.

Also, I thought I should ask. It seems I was under thee impression that the Sanderson parents didn't have a first name that was stated in game but then in this translation they have the names George and Helen. Is that from the original Japanese, and did this appear in the official GC version?

There's another line I found odd. "Sorry to be late!" should be "Sorry I'm late" or "Sorry I took so long!"
I'm not trying to demand or be all full of myself, I just figured I'd point out some stuff that sounds odd to a native English speaker and maybe suggest a fix.

Chao-Etta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I thought I should ask. It seems I was under thee impression that the Sanderson parents didn't have a first name that was stated in game but then in this translation they have the names George and Helen. Is that from the original Japanese, and did this appear in the official GC version?
These names are not used in any official version of the game, however they ARE official: They are used in a blog run in-character as Sophie on Chibi-Robo's official Japanese website from 2005 - 2007.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
These names are not used in any official version of the game, however they ARE official: They are used in a blog run in-character as Sophie on Chibi-Robo's official Japanese website from 2005 - 2007.
Thank you for answering.
I may add, as some of you must have guessed, that using their names was sometimes useful to avoid the number of characters limit (especially when telly calls Mrs Sanderson "Helen" in a certain optional quest).

In the Japanese version they very often call themselves "Mom" or "Dad", but depending on the nature of their dialogs (in real life, you mostly use mom and dad in presence of your kids, not when you argue or have "intimate" conversations), I found it more appropriate to use their forenames sometimes.

RetroNerdGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooooh, that's really cool to know! That's a nice addition because I didn't remember them having first names, and frankly it's nice to know and like you said some of those times they use mom n dad wouldn't make sense when arguing or talking to each other.

Reactions: Chao-Etta

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Can I patch my game in wbfs format?
Absolutely. The process is the same as with an iso, except you might have to use wwt instead of wit (https://wit.wiimm.de/)

I remember meeting some issues with wwt a long time ago, so in case you do, I've provided the method to convert the wbfs to iso on page 10 of my readme file. (see FAQ)

Anyway, you might not even need that extra step, I added it just in case, and in the end wbfs is a better format (less space consuming, all my games are dumped in wbfs, patched ones included).

Have a nice day!

Waifu4Life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Absolutely. The process is the same as with an iso, except you might have to use wwt instead of wit (https://wit.wiimm.de/)

I remember meeting some issues with wwt a long time ago, so in case you do, I've provided the method to convert the wbfs to iso on page 10 of my readme file. (see FAQ)

Anyway, you might not even need that extra step, I added it just in case, and in the end wbfs is a better format (less space consuming, all my games are dumped in wbfs, patched ones included).

Have a nice day!

Well, looks like I don't even need to patch it when using Dolphin, so problem solved. Great work BTW! Can you work on an update to disable the garbage voices, would be better to only read text than to listen to these :wacko:

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I just released a V1.01 update for my Chibi-Robo translation patch. Nothing major, but this line of dialog had gone under the radar during our beta testing.

I also added a section about Riivolution feature on Dolphin in the tutorial.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6722/

R24J01_2023-05-03_21-38-56.png

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i just downloaded and now theres an update
WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME
Ha, ha, it happens to me too. I patched the wbfs the day before the new update 1.01. :creep:

Well, this is a minor fix, so I stay on 1.00 (which is a truly awesome work)

By the way, I found another very minor and short untranslated line.

When coming back from the the basement for the first time, in the Foyer, where all soldier eggs are aligned for the roll call, speak to the one named Nevada BEFORE bring the photo to Sarge and Chibi takes the place of Memphis:

The text appears as follows:

Code:
Nevada reporting for duties!
Show up for roll call or suffer the consequences!

The second line is not translated (only a comma, as kanji can't be displayed). It should be translated "4th".

Once the photo is brought to Sarge, and after Chibi took his place in the roll call, this line is correctly translated "4th" when speaking again to Nevada (when all eggs do physical exercises).

Reactions: Aserl and r1vver

itsdeiv

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone! I just downloaded this translation and thought I'd make a new cover for the English patch! This is my take on the Japanese cover but swapping the logo and stuff with Brand's logo and credits:
They're pretty much ready and styled like GameTDB's covers, they're inspired by the reversible covers of the New Play Control series (I don't really like the ones with the white frame...). If you're interested in getting a translated white frame cover, or in translating the back cover too (I didn't find it necessary), I'd love to do it! These were so fun to make. Thanks again for the translation!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1