War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hey guys... I have a Physics I project due tomorrow, and I need some help.

I need to demonstrate how the following can be related to Newton's First and Second Laws.

- Stopping distances for cars are considerably longer on wet pavements (slippery) than on dry pavements.

I have to explain why that is, and relate it to either the First Law, Second, or both. I also have to draw a picture, but that's something I have to do myself.

I know it's because there's less traction, I just need to explain it in-depth.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Newton's first law: An object in motion (or at rest) tends to stay in motion (or at rest) unless a force acts upon it.
Newton's second law: Force is equal to the product of an object's mass and its acceleration (F=ma).

The force that acts on a car when you hit the brakes is friction. The force of kinetic friction (fk) is given by the following equation:

fk=µkmg

The coefficient of kinetic friction (µk) is a constant value that indicates how much friction there is between two surfaces (in this case, rubber tires and asphalt). The term "m" is the mass of the car, and the term "g" is acceleration due to gravity (which is 9.8 m/s2)

When you have water between the two surfaces of rubber and pavement, you lower the coefficient of kinetic friction µk, and so the force of kinetic friction fk goes down. So you have less frictional force acting upon the car, which is why the car takes longer to stop (this is how it's related to Newton's first law).

The equation fk=µkmg is actually just a modified version of F=ma. fk is just a type of force (F). µk is a unitless constant and therefore does not change the dimensions of the equation. Since "a" is acceleration, and "g" is acceleration due to gravity, they're the same thing. Essentially, fk=µkmg and F=ma are the same equation. So you have a frictional force fk acting against the force of the car F (this is how it relates to Newton's second law).

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.
wink.gif

*EDIT*
I modified Newton's first law, but it really doesn't matter because the car isn't at rest in your example. I just like being technical.

If you want to be really technical, the force of kinetic friction initially comes from the brake pads and the tires are exerting a static force of friction against the pavement. Once the brake pads grab, the tires start skidding against the pavement (at which point it goes from static to kinetic friction). But I think for the sake of your assignment, it's safe to drop these assumptions.

The picture is really simple. I'm assuming you have to draw a force diagram. Basically all you have to do is draw a car on pavement and show the only four forces acting on the car.
car1.gif

Martiin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
Newton's first law: An object in motion (or at rest) tends to stay in motion (or at rest) unless a force acts upon it.
Newton's second law: Force is equal to the product of an object's mass and its acceleration (F=ma).

The force that acts on a car when you hit the brakes is friction. The force of kinetic friction (fk) is given by the following equation:

fk=µkmg

The coefficient of kinetic friction (µk) is a constant value that indicates how much friction there is between two surfaces (in this case, rubber tires and asphalt). The term "m" is the mass of the car, and the term "g" is acceleration due to gravity (which is 9.8 m/s2)

When you have water between the two surfaces of rubber and pavement, you lower the coefficient of kinetic friction µk, and so the force of kinetic friction fk goes down. So you have less frictional force acting upon the car, which is why the car takes longer to stop (this is how it's related to Newton's first law).

The equation fk=µkmg is actually just a modified version of F=ma. fk is just a type of force (F). µk is a unitless constant and therefore does not change the dimensions of the equation. Since "a" is acceleration, and "g" is acceleration due to gravity, they're the same thing. Essentially, fk=µkmg and F=ma are the same equation. So you have a frictional force fk acting against the force of the car F (this is how it relates to Newton's second law).

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.
wink.gif

*EDIT*
I modified Newton's first law, but it really doesn't matter because the car isn't at rest in your example. I just like being technical.

If you want to be really technical, the force of kinetic friction initially comes from the brake pads and the tires are exerting a static force of friction against the pavement. Once the brake pads grab, the tires start skidding against the pavement (at which point it goes from static to kinetic friction). But I think for the sake of your assignment, it's safe to drop these assumptions.

The picture is really simple. I'm assuming you have to draw a force diagram. Basically all you have to do is draw a car on pavement and show the only two forces acting on the car.
24v2kv4.jpg

GBATEMP!
A place where other people can do your homework -.^ b

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Well, I always ask GBAtemp when I don't know something
tongue.gif
Anyway, thank you very much Densetsu, I finished the project, and hopefully I'll get an A! (Although my drawing sucked...)

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
War said:
If you dumbed it down a little, it would be perfect.Basically while the car is moving, it's going to keep moving until you apply the brakes. That's Newton's first law of motion.

The car moves because there's a force pushing it forward. That forward force is equal to mass x acceleration (F=ma). The brakes stop the car by applying a backward force (friction) to the car. That force is also equal to mass x acceleration (but in the case of the backward force, acceleration is due to gravity). That's Newton's second law of motion.

When something is moving in one direction (forward), in order to stop it you have to push back against it in the opposite direction (backward). Simple enough, right? Water reduces the friction between the tires and the pavement, so this weakens friction (the backward force). When you can't push back as strong, it takes longer for the car to stop, so the stopping distance of the car is longer. Of course, this is all common sense and I'm sure you already knew all of this intuitively. It's just that relating it all to Newton's laws of motion requires some physics knowledge.

Martiin said:
GBATEMP!
A place where other people can do your homework -.^ bI couldn't resist
tongue.gif
When science is involved, I can't help but talk about it.

QUOTE(War @ Dec 16 2008, 07:30 PM)
Anyway, thank you very much Densetsu, I finished the project, and hopefully I'll get an A! (Although my drawing sucked...)
The drawing doesn't have to be fancy. You should get full credit as long as you draw a car, the pavement and two arrows: one arrow showing the forward force and the other arrow showing the backward force like I did. If you don't get full credit for that, your teacher is a douche
wink.gif

Oh, and you're welcome
happy.gif
Anytime!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs